Is the Warburton magic starting to fade?

I think while people can sure ask valid questions, as did I, we should not go too far here. It was another OF defeat by a better team on the day. We can do better and know that. Likewise, we SHOULD know how much this team is capable of and be able to live with that, for the time being. Our situation from last year or in fact this summer has not changed one bit. We can only attract a certain level of players and these people have a certain maximum standard. No matter whether our budget is miles ahead of teams that give us a fight every other day. It is the same all over the planet with the big teams and lesser opposition. Something we have to cope with ... and whether we can is anyone's guess, as one would have to point back to the players we can attract and their standard.

So while it is all fine to let of some steam and point at people's shortcomings, be it the manager, players or the recruitment, we should still keep in mind where we are and with whom.

IMO European football even next season is too soon unless significant progress is made by the squad by results.

We don't expect to be in it to win it all we want is the money. We're more than ready for more money because the lack of it is holding us back. From that perspective I don't understand any desire to not be in Europe. You seriously think not being in Europe betters any chance of winning the league?

They're in Europe and they're going to win the league and the reason they will is because of Euro money. If we don't get into Europe next season we will fall further behind and continue doing so till we get Euro money coming in on a regular basis.

Of course I want us to be in Europe but don't want us to be a Hibs/Hearts/Aberdeen etc., falling at early qualification that wouldn't help us much financially,but would rather that we are strong enough to face it.That is why I feel an extra year would help.

I would answer the original posters question with another question. Was it magic in the first place? Don't get me wrong, I like Mark Warburton as a manager. He is a very erudite and impressive individual (which should be the criteria for all Rangers managers) but I think much of the appraisal of his short term success was based on a what we had to endure in the previous 3/4 years. I feel that the football on show over those 3 years was so prehistoric and non progressive that anyone who came in after Ally that simply showed us a vision of football based on the basics (passing with speed, ball retention) would be treated as a visionary saviour. Am I being too harsh?

We are 3 points behind the sheep who are sitting in 2nd place,where we went up to their patch and played them off the pitch and deserved a draw at least,plenty football to be played yet

That's just one game and what we don't really know is if that could be that they had an off day, we were on, but we still lost - maybe they just turned the tables on us from better years, and ground out a result.

I think the main problem is that we're not just behind Aberdeen, we're behind three teams, which means, if one drops points the other two probably won't. That's a lot harder. There is also three times the chance that just one of the teams above us will get lucky or whatever and have a long streak of great form, while we're still struggling to put in a consistent run.

It's only a quarter of the way through but the problem is that we're already thinking that we can't afford to drop any points at all - and even our best sides dropped points here and there.

While people blame the board for lack of investment, I think they have backed the manager enough to expect a probable second place and an easy third, yet fourth is looking very possible.

He has been a massive disappointment this season and I'm struggling to see many positives anymore. However, I think the alternative would be worse. Managing a mediocre Scottish side with no money isn't an attractive proposition to any half decent manager. I think we'd end up with some poor SPL manager so I'll stick with Warburton for now...

He's also not had much to spend...though the money he has spent has been spent poorly. Garner is a terrible, bizarre signing.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

That's just one game and what we don't really know is if that could be that they had an off day, we were on, but we still lost - maybe they just turned the tables on us from better years, and ground out a result.

I think the main problem is that we're not just behind Aberdeen, we're behind three teams, which means, if one drops points the other two probably won't. That's a lot harder. There is also three times the chance that just one of the teams above us will get lucky or whatever and have a long streak of great form, while we're still struggling to put in a consistent run.

It's only a quarter of the way through but the problem is that we're already thinking that we can't afford to drop any points at all - and even our best sides dropped points here and there.

While people blame the board for lack of investment, I think they have backed the manager enough to expect a probable second place and an easy third, yet fourth is looking very possible.

It was always going to bee a tough season and if we can finish second/3rd it will be reasonable success IMO. There is a lot of football to be played yet though. Injuries and some players off form haven't helped

Edited by ian1964

It was always going to bee a tough season and if we can finish second/3rd it will be reasonable success IMO. There is a lot of football to be played yet though. Injuries and some players off form haven't helped

Anything lower than second is completely unacceptable. If he can't finish second then he isn't good enough. Do Aberdeen have a single player they spent a transfer fee on? That's the level we're up against.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

At the moment for me it's not about alternative managers, what I want to see is a better acknowledgement from MW along with a sign that we're changing tack somewhat and taking a more flexible approach in our formation, style and first choices, and maybe starting to think a bit more about the opposition.

I think the best managers are able to work out their counterparts and the weaknesses in their teams. At the moment I think that's what's the other managers are doing to us.