Waghorn To Bristol City?

Waghorn was one of our best players last season until he was injured.

At the start of this campaign he looked bright enough again before his hamstring pull put him back again and, since then, his touch seems to have completely deserted him and he's struggled badly when called upon.

Amazing how many people are happy to write him off after a bad period of form though.

I agree with all that, but I think where people are writing him off is not just his form, I think it's the combination of poor form and the rumour that he wants to leave - although we don't know the veracity of that.

I think it's a case of, IF he wants to leave Rangers for a lower league English club, and he's playing like that, then there is no reason to want him to stay.

The way the team is playing this season, they have lost the "personal loyalty" of the fans (but not the team loyalty), who I would guess would be happy to splash out on a whole new team, if they were of a much higher standard - and didn't cripple us financially. So I think most of the players are now pretty dispensable, and if they don't want to be here then they will be seen as a wage (and maybe a fee) we could use on someone better who does want to be here.

I find it incredible that people are turning against Waghorn off the back of a run of poor form. The guy scored 20+ goals for us last season. Yes, he doesn't quite seem fit at the moment, and if he has spat the dummy after not being picked, that's fine - as long as he channels his frustration the right way and focuses on getting back to form... If he had fallen out with MW, I don't think he'd be featuring in our match day squads.

If there is any truth in the rumour that he has made clear he wants to leave, then fair enough, let's not play him but our support are too quick to overreact.

He's one of several players who have struggled to adjust to the demands of the top flight game up here. His injuries have been a factor in that though, but everything I've seen from him so far has been positive about life up here. Perhaps he's not happy with his overall contribution, but he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that agitates for a move as soon as things get a little tricky - though I could be proved wrong.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/7260094/Martyn-Waghorn-ready-to-quit-Rangers-with-Bristol-City-and-Fulham-set-to-swoop.html

RANGERS striker Martyn Waghorn looks set to leave Ibrox in January.

SunSport can reveal the striker, who has scored just once this season, is unhappy he has not been offered a new, improved deal like fellow Gers.

After meeting with boss Mark Warburton at Murray Park on Wednesday, Waghorn wants to leave, with Championship clubs Bristol City and Fulham interested in snapping up the 26-year-old in the New Year transfer window.

Waghorn could even go on loan until the end of the season, but it seems certain he will move on one way or another.

The ex-Wigan man has watched Rob Kiernan, Wes Foderingham and James Tavernier get improved deals in recent months.

Waghorn, who scored 28 goals last season, wanted a bigger wage increase to put him on a par with big hitters Niko Kranjcar and Joe Garner.

Meanwhile, Derby boss Steve McClaren is ready to throw Joey Barton a career lifeline.

Barton finally settled his pay-off at Gers yesterday and is open to a return to England’s Championship.

McClaren has offered him training facilities with a view to signing.

Well if Waghorn is declining to sign the contact he has been offered and they're not inclined to improve it that's that I suppose. He has to go with our thanks for his contribution. Hope things work out for him in the Championship.

As I said in post #2 I don't think it is a confidence thing I just think he was fine in the Championship but the SPL is above his capabilities.

That is a (as in one) possibility. Still, we have to remember that he relied on the players around him last season and so far this season, where he did not seem fully fit from the off, he had ever changing partners from midfield to front, some of them new, some of them as "unfit" as he was.

The money argument is just one that comes in handy, not least for those who would like to see us lose another instrumental player from last season.

Well, if it happens, what sort of money should we demand for a player under contract till 2018 then?