Rangers v Dundee match preview

RC were bottom of the league averaging 2 goals conceded a game and we couldn't beat them

people saying this team are playing well are at it IMO.

its torture watching this team try to create a chance and then convert it.

It can be frustrating at times of course, but to say torture is shocking. I thought it was torture when McCoist was in charge and I wasn't looking forward to any game under him and in his last season I missed quite a few which I haven't done for a long time.

I thought we played we well against a team who I don't think once tried to the play the ball on the ground and were horrible to watch, no wonder Scottish football is at the level it is.

What style would you have us play? The long ball like under McCoist or at least try and play some football on the ground?

I like MW's style he is trying to play but I understand some don't but surely it's better than what you have seen for years before him?

It can be frustrating at times of course, but to say torture is shocking. I thought it was torture when McCoist was in charge and I wasn't looking forward to any game under him and in his last season I missed quite a few which I haven't done for a long time.

I thought we played we well against a team who I don't think once tried to the play the ball on the ground and were horrible to watch, no wonder Scottish football is at the level it is.

What style would you have us play? The long ball like under McCoist or at least try and play some football on the ground?

I like MW's style he is trying to play but I understand some don't but surely it's better than what you have seen for years before him?

I get the impression that some expect us to be sweeping all before us in a manner akin to watching Barcelona or Real Madrid hitting 4 or 5 a game.

Even when we were significantly outspending every single club in the country we didn't always get the results or the performances that we should have with far better players - yet here and now some seem to think that is exactly what we should be witnessing. The expectations of some are completely unrealistic.

Even with world class players at our disposal such as Gascoigne, Laudrup, Gough, Goram, McCoist etc we had results and performances which were poor - yet we expect better from inferior players.

The rest of Scottish football outside of Celtic may indeed be dross, but we have spent 4 years in the wilderness and still don't have excessive resource yet we expect these high standard of performances - we may have more resources for wages than every club outside Celtic but we aren't spending that much on transfer fees and we are, for the most part, shopping in the same market as all those other teams - plus, playing for Rangers means wages are at a premium simply because of who we are and the size of our club.

I think some need to quickly establish some level of a reality check.

I'm with the "cant believe all the negativity" group.

I find it startling that we had almost 75% possession - it was actually 78% possession through the 1st 50 minutes - and whereby we were constantly probing to create chances - and some believe that it was "torture" to watch or was "garbage".

This was a game where I felt we actually had some purpose to our possession - it wasn't just knocking it about to retain possession without trying to create chances. We did create chances, we just couldn't convert them.

I guess I just don't know what people are expecting from the team. I prefer we have the lion's share of possession and that we look to create chances with it - and from what I witnessed on Saturday that is exactly what we did. We lost our way for a 10-15 minute spell in the 2nd half but other than that we absolutely dominated the game without putting the ball in the net. We thoroughly deserved the winner, no matter how late it was.

I'm with pete on this one too - I'm somewhat glad we scored so late and that so many of our own fans missed it - leaving when the game is won at 3 or 4-0, fine. Leaving early when the game is lost 2 or 3-0, fine. But leaving early when the team is trying so hard to find the crucial game-winning goal ? That is ridiculous. And you know what.... you can almost guarantee that a large number of those leaving early will be the same people bemoaning lack of effort or desire from our players. Oh, the irony of that. Perfectly acceptable to leave the game and not support your team to the end of a tight game.... and perfectly acceptable to then lambast the same players for lack of effort. Hypocritical in the extreme. And as for leaving after 26 minutes.... that one is indefensible unless for a family emergency or work or something similar - anyone leaving after 26 minutes for no reason other than they don't like what they are seeing is ridiculous - their prerogative obviously but embarrassing.

I clearly watched a different game to some on Saturday. We weren't perfect but there was a fair bit to be pleased about. Maybe I just don't expect perfection from our players.

It's clear to see the effort being put in by the players,it is also clear to see teams puting in the extra effort against Rangers,there have been better players than we have just now who have taken a long time to settle into playing for Rangers and a lot of our players are still adjusting to that pressure and who also are young with lots of potential to become better players,MW & DW are trying to instill a footballing policy into the club in which we retain the ball,keep it moving and dominate posession,and at the same time get results,we should have won more games and would have had we taken the majority of our chances we have created in most games.

I am comfortable in what is trying to be acheived and am patient enough because I buy into what is being done,after what we have been through I believe we are heading in the right direction on and off the pitch,it all takes time,aye it would be brilliant if it happened a lot quicker but the reality is it doesn't work like that.

I will judge the teams performance over the whole season,this season,where I believe 2nd spot is very much achievable.

it needs mixed up

the sight of us trying to play square passes across our own box into injury time up at RC was beyond comprehension

and using "it isnae as bad as Ally" isn't worth taking the time to type

I thought they played the Mark Warburton game...............pretty football, good to watch which left us exposed a couple of times. Nice triangles and passing as well. No cutting edge at the moment but we got what we deserved against an eleven man defence....and so did Dundee

I think Garner's got it but time will tell

I think we're getting near our best XI now but I'd rather Forrester replaced Miller in the role he played on Saturday.

I also think Garner needs to get on the end of some of the deliveries into the box we saw on Saturday.

Edited by RANGERRAB

Mark Warburton said they were working on Windass' fitness. Mark said he was a young player who had to be protected. He said the aim was to get Windass performing for 90 minutes...it was an interview on Radio Clyde

The full interview is up on Rangers TV

Edited by ian1964

All i'm looking for this season is a Europa league spot and despite inconsistency we're already well on course for that. If we're crap then Hearts are even worse and Aberdeen are no better and as it stands they're all we need to be beating to get that Europa league spot.

We have to persist with the Warburton style of play because it's already got us into a comfortable position despite the inconsistency along the way and that very style of play is going to be even more potent as the managers 'project' progresses and better players are gradually added to the mix.

Aside from the Europa league spot a good Scottish cup run pulling the exuberant ones at Ibrox along the way and blowing their exuberant arses right out of the water.

it needs mixed up

the sight of us trying to play square passes across our own box into injury time up at RC was beyond comprehension

and using "it isnae as bad as Ally" isn't worth taking the time to type

Top teams play like this so why shouldn't we, it's about keeping the ball and possession so the team with the ball control the game, do you want us lumping the ball up the park now again just to mix it up?

Our players need to be more clinical in front of goal, and I would hope a clinical striker is our top transfer target in January, but apart from that it's night and day IMO to where we were even before Ally to where we are now in our style of play and set up.

As I said I am enjoying it more than I have for a long time and I hope it continues. If this is torture then it will do for me and I can only see us getting better once all our new signings settle in and get more game time.