Well who's next

I would assume that the DoF role is quite important and do wonder whether a 26-year or a 34-year old would be suited for that at a club like Rangers. Not least when they could easily lock horns with managers who are longer in the yob than they are old. Not saying that age is that important, but was wondering how young some of the people for that job apparently are.

Agreed. I find it hard to believe that a 34 year old is most suited for what is a new role within our club. We need someone with a lot more experience and who the coach/manager would look up to.

I can't see there being a lot of initial respect if the DoF is only 34, and that could cause problems.

I think the building blocks are in place. For me, a DoF is responsible for the overall club philosophy, playing style, scouting network/system and acquisition of the type of players that suit our way of playing etc. Like at Southampton, they have a distinct playing philosophy throughout the club, from youth to first-team, and all players are scouted to fit into that system. I think too many of us are thinking that because MW is gone that we need to start again. That is precisely the type of thing we need to avoid. MW has started to implement a club-wide philosophy and this should be continued. We now need a new manager/head coach that will be able to fit into it. Southampton, because they have a DoF and a club-wide philosphy, can target managers that cause little disruption -- Pochetino, Koeman and Puel were all chosen because they fit into the club's -- and DoF's -- philosophy; how many thought Pochetino was a ridiculous appointment at the time? It really wasn't because he was a coach that fit into their system. Ideally, we'd want a DoF in first to 'direct' the club philosophy. In essence MW was doing most of it himself.

A DoF would not interfere with team-affairs, otherwise he's not doing his job. He would be responsible for the players brought in, though. If the coach said he needed a left-back, the DoF would draw up a list -- ideally the list would already be there because they'd have a detailed scouting network of all positions and players with attributes that would fit into our club philosophy and price range -- and present that list to the coach, who would have a final say and choose the left-back he would want. We can't have a manager choosing any old left-back. The left-back would need to possess certain attributes that means he can fit into our philosophy, so any future manager can use him.

Edited by Rousseau

I don't think it matters what the guy's age is. All that matters is that he can implement a club-wide philosophy and scouting network. The coach needs to fit into it.

(Southampton's scouting network is incredibly technical so I can't see an older guy being able to implement it.)

I was thinking about Chelsea's less ideal model. They have a DoF who has singed for them the best young talent in Europe -- Lukaku, Courtois, De Bruyne etc. and loaned them out -- it's just that they've signed managers that don't fit with that model. So, Mourinho, who is a manager in the traditional sense, didn't like those players for whatever reason. If they had signed a coach that fit into that model they'd have an outstanding squad of young talent. If those players (Lukaku, De Bruyne etc.) had been part of say, Southampton's model, they would've been given a pathway into the first-team and would be first-team players -- before being sold on for mega-bucks!

As I said depends what the remit is.

My biggest concern is the D of F interfering in first team affairs. Head Coach/manager must always have the final say IMO.

And do we really have hundreds of thousands of spare cash for a D of F ?

That may be so but all the decisions on first team affairs are made by the head coach. The DOF has nothing to do with picking the team and the head coach also has the final say on what players are being brought in. The DOF will probably make a list of available transfer prospects and scouting of players. He will also do all the negotiations but I will say it again the head coach will have the final say on which players he wants brought in. There is no way any good coach will be the bum boy for a DOF.