Well who's next

MW has gone, the ''free flowing'' football style has died, maybe Murty(or whoever) would be better served in making us hard to beat for the rest of the season?

The free flowing football disappeared at the tail end of last season. We should aspire to play football correctly regardless of who the manager is.

"....it's more about how they move the ball about, rather then where they stand on the pitch."

And how they move themselves about. And how the team moves from defence to attack, and from attack to defence, and so on.

"Transitions", hipsters tell me, not formations.

Transition is the crucial part in any game.

The Barcelona philosophy since Pep's days was that whenever they lost the ball the nearest 3 players would spend 7 seconds chasing the ball down - the whole point of this was to prevent the opponent from "transitioning" themselves from defense to attack i.e. not allowing them to set themselves up properly to go from one to the other.

Transition is the crucial part in any game.

The Barcelona philosophy since Pep's days was that whenever they lost the ball the nearest 3 players would spend 7 seconds chasing the ball down - the whole point of this was to prevent the opponent from "transitioning" themselves from defense to attack i.e. not allowing them to set themselves up properly to go from one to the other.

Football hipster!! I knew it!!

But just how hip are you, really?.....

Football hipster!! I knew it!!

But just how hip are you, really?.....

Lol. Student of the game - for example, Bermudian teams are very slow in transitioning from attack to defense, and lose too many goals because of that.

Will view the youtube when I get home :D

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/15107561.Mark_Wotte__Restoring_Rangers__39__fortunes_is_one_of_the___39_ultimate_challenges_in_football__39_/

*** I haven't seen this elsewhere but I've not read every page so apologies if it is elsewhere. Some very good point, I thought.

MARK Wotte said last night that the challenge of restoring Rangers' fortunes was "one of the ultimate challenges in football" and something that he "wouldn't walk away from". The Dutchman, currently employed as performance director for the Moroccan Football Federation, spoke with Ibrox director Paul Murray back in 2015 but hasn't been mentioned in an interview process thus far this time which has been thought to involve Southampton's Ross Wilson, Tottenham Hotspur's Paul Mitchell, Huddersfield's Stuart Webber, Alex McLeish, John Park and current Brentford head of football operations Robert Rowan. The former SFA performance director, however, feels Rangers are a "sleeping giant" and would be be open minded if the board wanted to contact him for their director of football job this time around.

"To get Rangers back to European level, that is one of the ultimate challenges in football, so I wouldn't walk away from that challenge," Wotte told Herald Sport. "There is a lot of potential there, a lot of history and they play now in the Scottish Premiership but they have to make one, two or three steps to get back into Europe. I would be delighted to get my hands on a job like that but I know there are a lot of names going on and former Rangers people involved. So I am not sure they are waiting for a Mark Wotte. Maybe they have forgotten about me because I have been away now for two years.

"I spoke to Paul Murray two years ago and I know Andrew Dickson very well," he added. "He is a great guy, one of the stability factors there. I know that Douglas Park is involved as well and the owner is more remotely involved. I am happy out in Morocco with a great project and a great job, but if anyone wants to contact me then I am always open minded. I think they are still a sleeping giant at the moment so it would be important to wake them up to get back into the Champions League."

Wotte, formerly director of football with Feyenoord, is convinced that the club are going down the correct route as they bid to appoint a director of football to dictate the wider strategy of the club and a head coach to work under him. He said it was more important to take their time over appointing the right men, rather than rushing someone in to assist Graeme Murty ahead of the next Old Firm match at Parkhead in March.

"It is now or never for Rangers," he said. "If they want to go back into Europe, they need to appoint someone who has a knowledge of European players as well. They need to think big and think European. Don't sign an inexperienced director of football because it is the most important job at the club. They have always had a good tradition of signing European players, from Michael Mols to De Boer or Lorenzo Amoruso, Scandinavian players too. They have to think in a European style, not just a Scottish style. Because they are so much bigger than Scotland.

"Any new coach can't change the team any more so I think it is going to be marginal any difference if you appoint a new coach right now," said Wotte. So I would stick with Graeme Murty for now and take my time to make the right decision. This is no time to rush into the wrong appointment.

"It is not about now for Rangers, it is about next season and the season after. That is the goal of Rangers - not just to win the Old Firm match which is coming in three or four weeks' time. You should just ignore the fact that you are heading towards an Old Firm game. For the fans of course it is an important game but more important for the fans is getting the club back to the highest possible level - the Champions League."

Edited by SteveC

I think Mark Wotte would do an excellent job and he does have a bit of feelings for Rangers.

A couple of years ago I was lying in Hospital sharing a room with an older man. At visiting time he received 2 visitors a man and a woman. I learned it was his daughter and her husband. During the conversation my neighbour explained to them I came from Scotland. The husband asked me if I had a football team and I told him Rangers. All of a sudden the he started belting out the sash with FTP added to the end. I was shocked as you don't expect that in a hospital bed in the East of the Netherlands. I later found out it was Mark Wotte's brother who is a football agent. He done a lot of work for Rangers and it was via him that Rangers organised their Pre-season trips to Holland and Germany. He said he was a friend of Ally McCoist and still had contact with him. Ally was still manager then. He also said his brother was sad to leave Scotland and would move back there in a minute.

I think Mark Wotte would do an excellent job and he does have a bit of feelings for Rangers.

A couple of years ago I was lying in Hospital sharing a room with an older man. At visiting time he received 2 visitors a man and a woman. I learned it was his daughter and her husband. During the conversation my neighbour explained to them I came from Scotland. The husband asked me if I had a football team and I told him Rangers. All of a sudden the he started belting out the sash with FTP added to the end. I was shocked as you don't expect that in a hospital bed in the East of the Netherlands. I later found out it was Mark Wotte's brother who is a football agent. He done a lot of work for Rangers and it was via him that Rangers organised their Pre-season trips to Holland and Germany. He said he was a friend of Ally McCoist and still had contact with him. Ally was still manager then. He also said his brother was sad to leave Scotland and would move back there in a minute.

Send that reference to S Robertson, Ibrox.

I think the building blocks are in place. For me, a DoF is responsible for the overall club philosophy, playing style, scouting network/system and acquisition of the type of players that suit our way of playing etc. Like at Southampton, they have a distinct playing philosophy throughout the club, from youth to first-team, and all players are scouted to fit into that system. I think too many of us are thinking that because MW is gone that we need to start again. That is precisely the type of thing we need to avoid. MW has started to implement a club-wide philosophy and this should be continued. We now need a new manager/head coach that will be able to fit into it. Southampton, because they have a DoF and a club-wide philosphy, can target managers that cause little disruption -- Pochetino, Koeman and Puel were all chosen because they fit into the club's -- and DoF's -- philosophy; how many thought Pochetino was a ridiculous appointment at the time? It really wasn't because he was a coach that fit into their system. Ideally, we'd want a DoF in first to 'direct' the club philosophy. In essence MW was doing most of it himself.

A DoF would not interfere with team-affairs, otherwise he's not doing his job. He would be responsible for the players brought in, though. If the coach said he needed a left-back, the DoF would draw up a list -- ideally the list would already be there because they'd have a detailed scouting network of all positions and players with attributes that would fit into our club philosophy and price range -- and present that list to the coach, who would have a final say and choose the left-back he would want. We can't have a manager choosing any old left-back. The left-back would need to possess certain attributes that means he can fit into our philosophy, so any future manager can use him.

I see your points but unfortunately the demand at Ibrox is immense and we may see another PLG type appointment where we try to play football, change diets off the park but he wont get time. That's not to say PLG would have worked out but the difference is Rangers demand winning, Southampton can afford defeats and are a stepping stone for likes of Koeman and Poch - and while they both play good football they certainly would be involved in decision making off the park.

You are right how Southampton have implemented this throughout their club from U14s to the first team but they went down to league 1 while doing this. If ever we had a chance to do it then it was 2012 and play the youth but now we are back in the top flight being top 2 is a must again and that means winning ugly.

Its still only stage 2 in the recovery and finishing second is the target then getting further income from the Europa league. If the board can get the merchandising side with Ashley sorted between playing Europa league and having further income it will then allow us to buy a better standard of player as we go on. This is where FdB would be good, I think he would mix youth with experience and play well...and Murray Park needs to start producing - it was set up for state of the art yet just hasn't produced bar maybe Alan Hutton who we got a good fee for. Perhaps I'll throw Allan McGregor in as a success also.