Well who's next

Lifted from FF:

cwoodloyal

On The Bench

05-06-2011

Loyalist Calderwood

Re: Martin Jol flew into Scotland tonight.

He's in for talks for DOF role.

Originally Posted by Virgil Hilts

They guy on RR is saying he'll take over the manager's job till the end of the season before moving upstairs to the DOF job

Edited by ian1964

He would be great compared to Mckay, Irvine, Davies and the other miserable names on the list.

So would many of the top coaches in world football mate.

We now work at at different division, maybe 4 below what those guys want to be associated with ?

Jol has got teams into Europe in the past but getting teams to the top is not his strong point. Frank de Boer took over Ajax after him and turned Ajax into league winners. Jol would not be my first choice.

Jol has got teams into Europe in the past but getting teams to the top is not his strong point. Frank de Boer took over Ajax after him and turned Ajax into league winners. Jol would not be my first choice.

Did FDB not work under Jol at Ajax before taking over when Jol left?

Did FDB not work under Jol at Ajax before taking over when Jol left?

Only as a youth trainer as far as I can see. He took over from Jol firstly as Interim manager and then manager. Johan Cruiff was the main reason Jol was kicked out of Ajax. Cruiff as with barcelona had a huge say in what went on at the club. He campaigned against Jol because he thought the club was in a mess under Jol's leadership.

Can I just add to my last post that up until his death Johan Cruiff had a huge say and was the most respected voice in Dutch football, What Cruiff was for Ajax is Wim Jansen for Feynoord. When Celtic signed Wim Jansen as manager they were actually wanting Cruiff. It was Cruiff who turned the job down but recommended them to sign Jansen. Cruiff Jansen and Willem van Hanagem are still thought as the best technical brains behind Dutch football. The story also goes that Rinus Michels the Dutch and Ajax manager used to give team talks. After he left the dressing room Cruiff, Jansen,Israël and van Hanegam would then have another talk on the team tactics and how they would play.

Would it be remiss of the Board, not to make contact with Ranieri???

It is highly unlikely that he would be interested, but the chance of eternal glory (in the eyes of RFC fans) & going directly head-to-head with Brenda might interest him.

Wages may be an issue, but I'm guessing he is already a very wealthy man.

Transfer budgets (again) may be off putting, but IMHO a good manager should be able to bring improvement regardless of budget.