Well who's next

"....it's more about how they move the ball about, rather then where they stand on the pitch."

And how they move themselves about. And how the team moves from defence to attack, and from attack to defence, and so on.

"Transitions", hipsters tell me, not formations.

I think that's partially true Uli and folk mention formations as a short hand rather than a proscribed place to stand. However 4-4-2 generally makes free flowing possession football difficult. It is a more rigid formation suited to the long ball, diagonal ball or wide play then crosses and you get easily outplayed by better teams who can hold the ball because you are putting 2 players in isolated positions. Given the size, tactical awareness and speed of defenders these days it is relatively easy to defend (apologies for grannies and eggs). I really hope we don't throw the baby out with the bath water here. We learned a lesson through mccoist. But we got out the lower leagues. We have changed our football style throughout the club for the long term but it didn't work out with the new manager. We should still try and see this as project in progress. However the real issue is of course off field. But going back to negative football will confuse players and we don't have the physical attributes. If the suggestion is we become like any old spl team for the short term my worry is it would fail anyway and set us back further long term.

We clearly need a good manager long term and an interim , we need a serious upgrade in certain positions (no matter what style we play) but most of all we have to get clarity off field. To upgrade we should appoint DOF who can help with long term managerial selection snd in time for summer.

Aberdeen will finish second. They are settled and confident and can score goals. Perhaps the healthiest thing we can do right now is reset a realistic target with fans for this year which will be 3rd and hope that an interim mgr can see that journey out and right now that is about sorting out the attitude of certain players. My guess is warburton has been too much of a pal to some of them and that was summed up with his 'welcome the boos' nonsense (that was the last straw).

As fans we need to get behind the team but in the knowledge that an interim manager is changing the attitude of some. Murty will not succeed there imo.

And whilst I'm at it certain players would be on the bench and out the door by the start of next season. Attitude will not be the differentiator as they are simply not good enough and make too many mistakes.

Edited by Walterbear

I try to avoid discussions on formations and tactics, as too often they become too complicated, for me. I tend to the reductionist : basically in possession it is trap, pass, move; out of possession, it's press, or circle the wagons, or both.

I think that the side lacks the mental and physical strength to play the so-called anti football of Wattie's Euro run.

I sympathise with the Limeburner's tactical suggestion of " No pasaran"against fhilth fc, but, and it's is a big, big but, the side lacks the fortitude to do it, successfully, for 90 mins.

Sadly I think that they will be drubbed if they do, and drubbed if they don't.

Overall, there are serious flaws in individual players, and, consequently, with the side as a whole. It takes no strategic or tactical master to identify, eg the ordeal by fire that most, if not all, set pieces by the opposition represent. Defending corners, etc., is surely a very basic of the game, yet the team survives them solely by good luck, and not by good judgement.

I do not know who, indeed what kind of interim manager, will come in for 12 games, or so, then be happy to depart thereafter, irrespective of performances and results. Maybe the new full time first team coach will be in place in early course, but the current necessity of firefighting cannot be the overriding consideration in his appointment. If we have to wait for the right guy, we have to wait.

Murty is getting some stick, here, and elsewhere. We should lay off; at present, given the speedy nature of Warburton's departure which was quick, despite looking like here today, going, going....going.......gone, well, actually the day before yesterday, there is no alternative. Unfortunately for him, he lacks experience, and he has no one to help out, not even a Director of Football.

Ultimately, the buck stops with the players; and there are some, too many, duds. Unfortunately, I think that some of them know, or have found out in this Division, that they are duds, which may explain a lot.

I've posted a piece from the Guardian on full backs in the Footie Chat page. It may be of some interest.

Edited by Uilleam