Well who's next

I think the DOF buys in players and tells the coach to get on with it

That clearly isn't what happens. You're not going to get the coach saying "one more injury and I'm down to the under 18 left back" and the DoF saying "Sorry but I've just bought you a reserve goalie"

That may be so but all the decisions on first team affairs are made by the head coach. The DOF has nothing to do with picking the team and the head coach also has the final say on what players are being brought in. The DOF will probably make a list of available transfer prospects and scouting of players. He will also do all the negotiations but I will say it again the head coach will have the final say on which players he wants brought in. There is no way any good coach will be the bum boy for a DOF.

Sorry I think i got the wrong Quote.

IMHO, the DoF is responsible to the administrative side of the footballing.

He's the one who looks after the contract negotiations, performance Ethos, scouting, internal structure, wages etc. He is also the one who makes sure that the Head Coach is doing his job properly and coaching in line with the club performance ethos.

The role of player identification/signing may vary from club to club. It may be that the Head coach goes to the DoF & says "we need a new left back"....the DoF then scouts & recruits accordingly. Alternatively, the Head coach may well identify the replacement player, with the DoF then negotiating the deal. It may well be a combination of the 2. Ultimately the 2 people involved MUST be able to work very closely together due to there being obvious overlaps in job function.

I think the main difference could be summed up as:

DoF - wears a shirt & tie

Head Coach - wears a tracksuit

IMHO, the DoF is responsible to the administrative side of the footballing.

He's the one who looks after the contract negotiations, performance Ethos, scouting, internal structure, wages etc. He is also the one who makes sure that the Head Coach is doing his job properly and coaching in line with the club performance ethos.

The role of player identification/signing may vary from club to club. It may be that the Head coach goes to the DoF & says "we need a new left back"....the DoF then scouts & recruits accordingly. Alternatively, the Head coach may well identify the replacement player, with the DoF then negotiating the deal. It may well be a combination of the 2. Ultimately the 2 people involved MUST be able to work very closely together due to there being obvious overlaps in job function.

I think the main difference could be summed up as:

DoF - wears a shirt & tie

Head Coach - wears a tracksuit

A proper DoF would have half a dozen left backs already scouted, waiting till the Head Coach decides he wants a left back kind of defeats the purpose.

A proper DoF would have half a dozen left backs already scouted, waiting till the Head Coach decides he wants a left back kind of defeats the purpose.

He should have a portfolio of players, identified as guys who could improve the side, whatever the position, and which should be under constant review.

Most of above is correct but DOF does also align the football strategy. That doesn't mean he picks the tactics if we need to change them as that is up to the manager on a weekly basis but it broadly means we play a particular style in our club 4-4-2, total football, 6-4-0 or whatever and we have players who are either recruited from the English rugby league aka hearts and Dundee or we recruit players who can adapt to modern football. The manager gets to sign players but he must persuade DOF. Football must be about the most obvious industry which has shocking governance in terms of spending money so we should have no issue with managers having to justify requests to higher authority. In fact it looks like warburton was eventually told he wasn't getting any more. Perhaps if he had had more conversations with a DOF we would not be in the mess we are. The DOF takes long term accountability across a potential succession of managers. Thanks makes total sense to me. Funnily enough big Eck would be a good DOF imo.

Edited by Walterbear

MW was just one man Ian. Lots of teams play good free flowing football but we must decide what ours is to be and that's where DOF comes in.

The system needs to change for the rest of the season IMO, regardless who comes in, these players have lost all confidence

MW has gone, the ''free flowing'' football style has died, maybe Murty(or whoever) would be better served in making us hard to beat for the rest of the season?

The 2 are not mutually exclusive.....when the players actually play 1/2 decently.

If we have the ball, the other team can't beat us. One our main problems has been that we can't keep the ball, which then highlights massive defensive issues, which is then compounded by the fact that we can't score. That is more down to player performances than a particular style of play.

MW had been trying to get a common philosophy going throughout the club - that of free flowing, possession football. If that changes, then the past 18-months have been another complete waste. The playing philosophy is 100% independent of the Manager/coach - it is their responsibility to enforce the philosophy. Again, this should be made well clear to any potential DoF or head coach - prior to appointment.

The philosophy also doesn't restrict to a particular formation either...it's more about how they move the ball about, rather then where they stand on the pitch.