The Pre-Summer-2017 transfer rumours and hearsay all inclusive Thread

HJK Helsinki‏ @HJK_Helsinki 1h1 hour agoMore

El @RangersFC todavía no lo ha hecho oficial pero el fichaje de Alfredo Morelos está al caer #HJK

Though looking at it, I'm not sure if this is an official site...

Translation from Spanish(?):

HJK Helsinki @HJK_Helsinki 1 day agoMore @RangersFC has not yet made it official but Alfredo Morelos signing is down #HJK

Edited by stewarty

The boy has absolutely no guarantee of being a first pick, regardless of whether it is us, Man U, Arsenal, Lyon, or whichever team he signs for, even if they have European football. I don't think he would be an automatic first pick for us - how is he going to be an automatic first pick if Garner (who cost us 1.8 million) and Herrera signs too, along with already having Waghorn, Miller & Dodoo ? No such thing as a guaranteed starter. His goals ratio needs to be considered in the league it comes from too. Scoring that many goals in Finland is no guarantee of translating into that many goals in Scotland - I am by no means staying it can't - but a managers decision may well be that he goes with tried and trusted until the lad proves he can't be left out. But automatic starter ? I doubt it.

If Morelos can score goals for us he definitely will be a first pick. If we have Herrera in the team winning balls up front then we need someone sharp beside him to take the chances created. Garner and the rest have shown no signs of that sharpness.

It's been the most interesting transfer window since Advocaats first window. I've been very impressed with the guys we've brought in, taking advantage of cheaper foreign markets while looking at guys here to add to it.

Who knows what formation we will end up playing, looks like a 4-5-4 to me.

As for Windass I'd imagine he's on low wages, id send him out on loan to another SPL team for a year and see how he gets on and look at it next year.

Send him to Hamilton for a season. A thank you for keeping DU in exile for another year.

Windass is 23, not 19 the way some are saying he is young. If by 23 this is the best he can do, then its a huge no thanks from me. 5 minutes a game of good play is nowhere near consistent enough, and the other 85 minutes he is a luxury passenger. I'm sure we can get better for the same money.

Windass is 23, not 19 the way some are saying he is young. If by 23 this is the best he can do, then its a huge no thanks from me. 5 minutes a game of good play is nowhere near consistent enough, and the other 85 minutes he is a luxury passenger. I'm sure we can get better for the same money.

As with Holt this season too, he had lots of supposedly better/more experienced players around him who did not turn up consistently enough. We saw in the last few games with him that once he was deployed further forward, he was better than playing somewhere deep in midfield chasing the ball. IMHO, Windass is that Naismith type of attacking midfielder / shadow striker and if he has better players about him, we may still see a better player than what was possible in 2016/17.

As with Holt this season too, he had lots of supposedly better/more experienced players around him who did not turn up consistently enough. We saw in the last few games with him that once he was deployed further forward, he was better than playing somewhere deep in midfield chasing the ball. IMHO, Windass is that Naismith type of attacking midfielder / shadow striker and if he has better players about him, we may still see a better player than what was possible in 2016/17.

Agreed. I think there is potential in several of the players from last year, but a lot comes down to providing a clear structure and role for them. One of the problems with Holt in particular, was that our midfield options were so limited, that our inflexible 4-3-3 system meant that he had to be a box-to-box type player. Something that he is just not equipped to do. If you break down his role and create more structure in the team, I think Holt and others could thrive.

Whether they do will come down to their attitude and whether they can avoid injuries in the case of Windass.

I get where your coming from, I just feel his best is not good enough. Would love to be wrong.