I don't know any players PC has signed before, his CV is so obscure I doubt many of us have heard of most of the players he's managed. I can only go by what I watched this season under him at Rangers and his past managerial record before joining us.

At Uniao Liera they finished 9th the season before he took over, finished 10th the season he was in charge and he was sacked with them bottom of the league the following season.

At Nacional they finished 6th the season before PC, then under PC came 7th, he was then sacked the following season with them 14th in a 16 team league.

Then to Santos Laguna in Mexico. They finished 4th and qualified for the local Champion's League the season before PC joined. As I explained in the other thread the Mexican league is a confusing bugger with 2 leagues per season. So his Santos Laguna side finished 6th, 2nd, 4th, 9th and finally 8th under his management. So he had one decent season with a 2nd and 4th place finish, qualifying his side for the play-offs, he lost both in the semis. His 9th place was outside the play-off places. His 8th place was the last play-off place, his Santos side then won the play-off. This is the 'league' it's claimed he won in Mexico. He was then sacked the following season after a couple of months with his side 3rd bottom.

In Qatar Al-Gharafa finished 7th before he joined, then 9th in his first full season in charge and 5th last season.

There is nothing in his past that allows me to believe he can spot a player or improve a player, frankly how he keeps getting employed as a manager is a credit to his agent.

So in summary, I've no idea who he's got wrong in the past but he's clearly got quite a few wrong judging by three of his previous four sides firing him.

I've no idea why so many of our support have so much faith in someone with such an ordinary CV.

I'm willing to give the guy the benefit of any doubt for next season. But when you read your post you have to wonder why the board went for him. Who at board level thought he was even worth talking to? Who gave his name to the board? I have not heard one big name in football comment on him, strange but we are where we are. Let's give the guy our support until he's not due it.

I'm willing to give the guy the benefit of any doubt for next season. But when you read your post you have to wonder why the board went for him. Who at board level thought he was even worth talking to? Who gave his name to the board? I have not heard one big name in football comment on him, strange but we are where we are. Let's give the guy our support until he's not due it.

Yes, but he's just using certain facts to suit his negative/pessimistic view -- which is fair enough. I can put a more positive spin on his record, by saying he actually picked up the same number of points at Uniao as his predecessor (Uniao were also relegated a year or two after he left), and picked up more than his predecessor at Nacional, a bigger club, so he must have done something right. The Mexican 'league' is mental, but he did win trophies, and even got Santos to the Semi-final of their Champions League only losing 1-0 over two legs to the eventual champions. Qatar I put down to money. He had the Qatari side finishing 2 points lower than his predecessor, but actually had them 5th when he left to join us. He has also been recommended by Jose Mourinho in the past. Even his performances with us, you can say it's been brutal at times, but I think we've also seen spells of some of the best performances too. It just depends how you choose to look at it. Like you, I'm willing to give the guy a chance.

Edited by Rousseau

Pedro Mendez is best mates with Graham Park , that's why he's in the job

I think the board decided that they wanted someone with no previous association with Rangers. Same as with Warburton.

I think PC will be able to get us better quality players at mores affordable prices (from his background) than we would have been able to do so had we gone for a more traditional type appointment such as McInnes or McCall

Also there have been too many ' Rangers men' lining their pockets these past few seasons and that includes the playing side too.

It really is a conundrum and he will be damned either way.My personal gripe is that I don't want to see a team without Scottish/British players being part of the set up as I despair watching teams like Chelsea full of mercenaries in it for money.

Hopefully Pedro will strike a correct balance.

I have seen nothing that makes me think he is a good manager. Goalkeepers on average don't make good managers. I am biting my fingers off at the thought we are supposedly giving him 12 million to buy players. If he fails we have no chance of catching Celtic for years to come. JohnMc has written everything I think. The plus points from him is he is looking at markets that no other Scottish manager will be looking at and the Portuguese league is a hard skilful league so the players should adapt to Scottish football. Of course the Portuguese and the Mexicans are used to a siesta so I hope they are not caught sleeping on the job.:)

If that's the only reason, it's frightening.

Big big gamble with the Manager and spending big on players.

Do you really believe Graham Park was following Pedro's carreer for any length of time?

Yes, but he's just using certain facts to suit his negative/pessimistic view -- which is fair enough. I can put a more positive spin on his record, by saying he actually picked up the same number of points at Uniao as his predecessor (Uniao were also relegated a year or two after he left), and picked up more than his predecessor at Nacional, a bigger club, so he must have done something right. The Mexican 'league' is mental, but he did win trophies, and even got Santos to the Semi-final of their Champions League only losing 1-0 over two legs to the eventual champions. Qatar I put down to money. He had the Qatari side finishing 2 points lower than his predecessor, but actually had them 5th when he left to join us. He has also been recommended by Jose Mourinho in the past. Even his performances with us, you can say it's been brutal at times, but I think we've also seen spells of some of the best performances too. It just depends how you choose to look at it. Like you, I'm willing to give the guy a chance.

Look there are all sorts of reasons a manager can 'fail' at a club, reasons I've no insight into. He could have had his best players sold from under him, finance issues, dysfunctional boards or just bad luck. I can only see what the record books show and they show an, at best, ordinary series of results. Derek McInnes, often named as the 'obvious' overlooked replacement for Warburton has a similarly ordinary CV, winning promotion with St Johnstone he then steered them to 8th place two seasons in a row before moving to Bristol City and getting them relegated. Since Tommy Wright took over St Johnstone have finished 6th then 4th for three seasons in a row, with one of the smallest playing budgets in the league. Even Thistle manager, Alan Archibald, has a comparable record to McInnes (prior to Aberdeen) with winning Thistle promotion and then a 10th, an 8th, a 9th and a 6th place finish. I didn't hear many suggest either of those two for our manager's position.

I get why many say 'give him a chance' and of course we've no option but to do that. He's the manager and he must be allowed to bring in the players he wants. The fact I'm not convinced about his ability and I'm nervous about bringing in players who might struggle to settle in our city and culture not to mention style of football is just messageboard chat. I genuinely hope I'm wrong, I just worry we've employed the Portuguese Bobby Williamson.