Why would I think that?

As you said "If that's the only reason, it's frightening." If Park wasn't a friend of Mendez would he have heard of Pedro? He may have followed Mexican or Qatar football but I doubt that to be honest.

As you said "If that's the only reason, it's frightening." If Park wasn't a friend of Mendez would he have heard of Pedro? He may have followed Mexican or Qatar football but I doubt that to be honest.

I agree, frightening to think we have a Manager appointed in this manner. Even more frightening that we are looking at signing players who might or might not be suited to the game in Scotland.

No he probably wouldn't have heard of him. I don't see that as an issue.

Kingco took over 2 years ago & appointed McCall interim manager who bombed spectacularly in the play-offs losing 6-1 to Motherwell over 2legs. Since then I think it's fairly obvious (at least to me anyway) they've always been looking outside Scotland for the Rangers manager.First Warburton & now Caixinha.

Have to say I fully agree with them in that.Scottish football is outdated & needs to adopt new ideas & methods which means bringing in coaches from outside.

I agree, frightening to think we have a Manager appointed in this manner. Even more frightening that we are looking at signing players who might or might not be suited to the game in Scotland.

I'd rather we looked at these types of players than SPL duds

Clubs always go to agents and connection throughout football to get CV's put forward for positions, then they collate those CV's with the winners going through to the interview stages.

Why would GP risk the massive investment he has made by half arsing or circumventing the hiring process? Nobody wants this to be a success more so than those fans who have millions on the line,

Look there are all sorts of reasons a manager can 'fail' at a club, reasons I've no insight into. He could have had his best players sold from under him, finance issues, dysfunctional boards or just bad luck. I can only see what the record books show and they show an, at best, ordinary series of results. Derek McInnes, often named as the 'obvious' overlooked replacement for Warburton has a similarly ordinary CV, winning promotion with St Johnstone he then steered them to 8th place two seasons in a row before moving to Bristol City and getting them relegated. Since Tommy Wright took over St Johnstone have finished 6th then 4th for three seasons in a row, with one of the smallest playing budgets in the league. Even Thistle manager, Alan Archibald, has a comparable record to McInnes (prior to Aberdeen) with winning Thistle promotion and then a 10th, an 8th, a 9th and a 6th place finish. I didn't hear many suggest either of those two for our manager's position.

I get why many say 'give him a chance' and of course we've no option but to do that. He's the manager and he must be allowed to bring in the players he wants. The fact I'm not convinced about his ability and I'm nervous about bringing in players who might struggle to settle in our city and culture not to mention style of football is just messageboard chat. I genuinely hope I'm wrong, I just worry we've employed the Portuguese Bobby Williamson.

That's a fair point, well put. It's just that every time you post your more pessimistic interpretation, I feel the need to post a defense.

I like Archibald a lot; I felt he had -- not really watched them in a while -- Partick playing some nice stuff. Maybe not ready for a job like ours, though. The others have, undoubtedly, done good jobs at their respective clubs. However, for me, they are in the same philosophy bracket: well organised, defensive, and play the percentage game offensively. It would probably get us 2nd, but with Rodgers at Celtic, it won't help us overcome them. Moreover, it'll do nothing for our European aspirations.

Maybe it's just a belief, but for me, foreign managers have better tactical awareness -- Portuguese especially. There's a reason Scottish sides don't do anything in Europe. We have seen some innovative formations from PC to try and turn games. I agree it has been brutal at times, but I maintain I've been more impressed with spells of it than I have been for a long time. I don't believe our players are good enough to execute exactly what he wants; once he gets a few of his own players, I think we'll see progress.

I genuinely hope I'm right.

Edited by Rousseau

That's a fair point, well put. It's just that every time you post your more pessimistic interpretation, I feel the need to post a defense.

I like Archibald a lot; I felt he had -- not really watched them in a while -- Partick playing some nice stuff. Maybe not ready for a job like ours, though. The others have, undoubtedly, done good jobs at their respective clubs. However, for me, they are in the same philosophy bracket: well organised, defensive, and play the percentage game offensively. It would probably get us 2nd, but with Rodgers at Celtic, it won't help us overcome them. Moreover, it'll do nothing for our European aspirations.

Maybe it's just a belief, but for me, foreign managers have better tactical awareness -- Portuguese especially. There's a reason Scottish sides don't do anything in Europe. We have seen some innovative formations from PC to try and turn games. I agree it has been brutal at times, but I maintain I've been more impressed with spells of it than I have been for a long time. I don't believe our players are good enough to execute exactly what he wants; once he gets a few of his own players, I think we'll see progress.

I genuinely hope I'm right.

We all hope that you are right.

Brenda landed at the piggery to find a squad which, clearly, unarguably now, is significantly better, and larger, than any other, assembled during the seasons when his predecessors had a free run financially, and thus on the park, and vice versa. He bought 1 Eng Championship class player, and 1 forward, whom I suspect may be a 1 season wonder. Not, exactly an overhaul. He did lose 0 -9 to Barcelona, right enough, but that may be indicative of the poverty of the Scottish League, and no more. He has money to upgrade.

I doubt that any of the usual suspects in Scottish football, those men whom Rangers "should have appointed", would be able to mount a serious challenge to fhilthfootballclub. A Scottish variation of Warburton's recruitment would fall short , compounding his felonies. Perhaps, to be fair, those guys may have a clearer idea of who could function @SPL level, and thus could finish best of the rest. As for challenging the scum, beyond a one-off game, or making any sort of progress in Europe - forget it.

People forget that we are endeavouring to catch up after 5 years of financial disadvantage, and 4 years of mismanagement, on, and off, the field. To do so, in a timescale acceptable to the support, requires thinking beyond the rather limited horizons of "The Scottish Game", in respect of recruitment, training, coaching, development, and so on, all the 'football' things.

It also involves taking a risk.

This risk may be too high for some, but when you consider the prospect of the alternative, second best for the forseeable future, the repute of the Club fading into obscurity, why, there is little risk at all.......

Edited by Uilleam

It really is a conundrum and he will be damned either way.My personal gripe is that I don't want to see a team without Scottish/British players being part of the set up as I despair watching teams like Chelsea full of mercenaries in it for money.

Hopefully Pedro will strike a correct balance.

I agree but it's also up to the players. I've no idea what will happen with players like Halliday, Holt, McKay or Wilson but they've not exactly made a compelling case for themselves and that was the case before Pedro arrived. And, much as I'd like us to add to the Scots in the squad, if nae fucker will sell us players at a price we can afford, there's not a lot we can do.

Fingers crossed the young 'uns come though strongly.

We can't afford to have the best of British with the EPL behemoth sitting just across the border sucking up everything of any kind of quality. Plus all season how many of us have been complaining about buying the scraps left over down South and that we should be looking further afield to get value for money?

We can't afford to have the best of British with the EPL behemoth sitting just across the border sucking up everything of any kind of quality. Plus all season how many of us have been complaining about buying the scraps left over down South and that we should be looking further afield to get value for money?

Some live in a Utopian world JFK, whilst others live in reality.

We talk about "wanting British players but better than we have" but the start reality is that even the lower level teams in the Championship can afford wages far in excess of us. So... what are we left with ? League 1 and 2 players - the exact same pool of players that we have bemoaned MW for signing for the last 9 months.

It is very, very difficult to have it both ways.