Derek McInnes to join Sunderland?

Money changed hands between McInnes and agents. Contracts were written on fag packets ensuring he could have these young players when they were free from their current clubs. The phone calls were reminding him of that.

Sounds highly illegal and I doubt it would be legally enforceable.

I'm told it is illegal and was the single reason McInnes isn't managing down south right now.

McInnes looks like a bullet dodged for Rangers, then (irrespective of football considerations).

So Sunderland have opted for Simon Grayson. Pretty underwhelming for the Sunderland fans but he has done decent with Preston and there is always the saying why don't English managers get a chance at big clubs. I don't think they would have given him the opportunity if they were still in the top flight.

Moyes is the favourite to replace Grayson at Preston. He needs to rebuild his reputation again and that's probably the level he will need to go to.

Wasn't Moyes at Preston before he went to Everton.?

Yes. It would be a bit of a fall to be at Everton, Man Utd and Sunderland plus a stint in Spain before going back to Preston

• 3 months later...
Money changed hands between McInnes and agents. Contracts were written on fag packets ensuring he could have these young players when they were free from their current clubs. The phone calls were reminding him of that.

Find myself wondering if this would still apply now if McInnes took over at Rangers.