Derek McInnes to join Sunderland?

I get the feeling this is more a case of not agreeing things with Sunderland rather than his preference to stay with Aberdeen. He may have not agreed with the Chairman about available funds, targets, etc. Perhaps Sunderland thought they could get him on the cheap also.

But its going to be difficult to replicate what he has done with Aberdeen with players leaving.

What has he down? Finished second in a league with only one half decent team?

What has he down? Finished second in a league with only one half decent team?

Finishing second for 3 years in a row (without Rangers) and a few cup finals. Thats them peaked. Prior to McInnes Aberdeen were 4th one year then 10th the next. He probably improved them to be more consistent.

I think it would be difficult even if they had lost no one. He had his relative success during a period when we were gone and both the Edinburgh duo had gone into a slump and were gone too. That's all over and it's now a different landscape.

But now with the added problems of trying to recreate the core of a team I seriously see them in a battle just to be top 5 and McInnes will get the heat for what will in actual fact be their proper position as such. They have had 4 titles in their entire history 3 of which came under Ferguson and the last of which was over 30 years ago.

They have had 7 Scottish cup wins and again 4 of those came in the Ferguson era and the last Scottish cup win was 27 years ago. Take out the Ferguson era and they have had 1 title and 3 Scottish cup wins in 114 years. That's the mark of a team which should recognise itself as an also run the vast majority of the time.

The sheep followers don't seem to recognise that, simple arithmetic apparently isn't one of their talents. And McInnes will get the blame for their inability to recognise that. He should have bailed out if he could. Even if Sunderland too was going to be a tall order. Sunderland don't have hugely unrealistic expectations. The sheep do.

I'm not convinced that either Hearts or Hibs, even without a slump, would have been stronger than Aberdeen. Aberdeen have historically been stronger than both of them. Hibs seem to have struggled to make top 6 any time in the last 20-30 years. Only the one year do I recall Aberdeen being in such a position.

That doesn't, however, mean that the Edinburgh duo will be weaker in this upcoming season. I actually, sadly, think Hibs will do fairly well - I think they may surprise a few people and finish in 3rd place behind us and Celtic.

I still think its a very strange decision from McInnes to turn them down

I heard today from a youngster [who played against us not too long ago in fact] that various agents were in touch with McInnes to point out that the contracts he has signed with agents to take those as yet unsigned players state that if he leaves the sheep he will have to take them to Sunderland.

Sunderland told him to bolt.

The youngster I know is one of those players now currently waiting to join him at Aberdeen.