Club 1872 Statement on UEFA Citation

Dear member,

Club 1872 commends the vast majority of the Rangers support for their conduct over the course of the game last night - which marked our long awaited, winning return to European competition.

The atmosphere was very positive and a colourful display by the Union Bears at the start of the game added to the overall spectacle. The Rangers support can be a great asset to the Europa League this season and we hope to see many more nights like this in the coming months.

Unfortunately we have today been informed that the actions of a small number of supporters in the Broomloan Stand, who threw balled-up pieces of paper onto the pitch, has led to Rangers being cited by UEFA. Whilst this appeared to be meant in good humour and was carried out by a number of younger supporters, it has nonetheless led directly to a situation where Rangers now have to put forward a submission to UEFA. At this stage we are unsure of the nature of any possible sanction, if any.

We appreciate that most supporters will see this as a very minor matter, and we would share that view. However, it is another reminder that we have to hold ourselves to as high a standard as possible. We want to see colourful displays at the stadium in the future and would ask supporters not to risk jeopardising these.

We will be liaising with Rangers on this issue and will seek to gain a better understanding of how a citation of this type comes about following what, on the face of things, seems to be such an innocuous incident. We hope that this will allow us to better inform our supporters in the future about how they can avoid action, and walk the fine line that exists between enjoying the game and potentially falling foul of UEFA regulations.

Club 1872

A reasonable statement though it's not clear to me why Club 1872 needs to commend good conduct which should be the norm. However, the statement is spoiled by the last paragraph IMO. " innocuous incident" or not, which bit of you can't through anything on the pitch is it they don't get? "We hope that this will allow us to better inform our supporters in the future about how they can avoid action" Answer - don't through things. "walk the fine line that exists between enjoying the game and potentially falling foul of UEFA regulations."? What fine line is that. Don't sing banned songs, don't run on and don't throw stuff on the pitch - simples.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

Yep, seems the Ned's just can't help themselves.

Worse than what they did was the timing of it. We had just scored and had gained significant momentum. They killed that momentum as the game got stalled.

And who would have been the first to bitch and complain about the team had Progres equalized ??? Yep, the same idiots that felt it would be funny to kill our momentum.

I was disappointed at the tone of this, but clearly they can't admit any serious guilt either so it's a tough one. These morons who threw the rubbish onto the pitch need to be identified and weeded out. There's no place for them in our support and we would be better off without them. Hopefully others around them can help the club identify them and ban them.

No. I'm sorry guys, but kids throwing scrunched up pieces of paper onto the pitch DO NOT imo merit a citation of any kind.

There is far worse behaviour going on at matches around Europe every single euro evening.

Yes they shouldn't be doing it. But my view is that NO other club involved would receive any citation never mind punishment.

This is not a foil hat opinion. It is what I believe to be the truth.

I suppose the polar opposite views expressed in this thread just shows the challenge that Club 1872 has. How can they possibly keep all fans happy with these statements?

Maybe the tone of their statement was balanced afterall.

No. I'm sorry guys, but kids throwing scrunched up pieces of paper onto the pitch DO NOT imo merit a citation of any kind.

There is far worse behaviour going on at matches around Europe every single euro evening.

Yes they shouldn't be doing it. But my view is that NO other club involved would receive any citation never mind punishment.

This is not a foil hat opinion. It is what I believe to be the truth.

Whether it's true or not, they have to be fucking stupid to do it in the first place after King's speech and after the ref had stopped play and it was disrupting our momentum.

Why even give UEFA the chance to have a go at us? Fannies, the lot of them.