[FT] Motherwell 1 - 2 Rangers (Dorrans 4, 59pen)

Not in my view, it's a balance thing. Try standing on one leg like that with the other stretched out and your arms down at your sides. That would be unnatural. The arm instinctively goes up.

Remember a game late last season when a defender was throwing himself in front of the ball, arm close to his side but still enlarging his body and thus preventing the cross (or shot, can't remember). The co-commentator at RTV (Lövenkrands I think) was adamant it was a penalty, it was not given. Here Hodson is in full motion and has the arm where it would be in this part of movement and is not watching the ball. It is everyone's guess whether it is judged "in a natural position" or not, the ref decided it was. We'll sure have similar situations in the coming season and will be on the wrong end of the decisison ... one way or another.

It is everyone's guess whether it is judged "in a natural position" or not, the ref decided it was..

Well for me I'm not guessing I would have an arm or even both up in that position I know I would. I was a gymnast for a period in my youth and have better than average balance. It's perfectly normal for an arm to go up when in such an unnatural standing position as he is in.

Not in my view, it's a balance thing. Try standing on one leg like that with the other stretched out and your arms down at your sides. That would be unnatural. The arm instinctively goes up.

I have now tried it about ten times and when my left leg goes forward my right arm goes behind me for my balance. maybe it is me that is not natural.

DGY14KuXkAIOkIY.jpg

Kevin mentioned the above to me this morning at the wee man's session. I hadn't heard it at all - however, what he said in a podcast isn't a reflection of the person I can assure you. In his own words he was "talking to fans as a fan - football fans talk". He was visibly upset that the Sun and Scotsman lifted it and published it. Though he does know that he should have been more guarded.

He's an intelligent, well spoken, caring person who is absolutely passionate about the game. Him swearing or saying someone was "getting it" bears no relevance to what he can do as a coach. Indeed, I asked him about Brown getting sent off in an OF game and he wanted to say that both players "shit out" the challenge but he was very, very aware that the kids were within earshot and looked for an alternative word.

His sessions are very organized, technical, placing high demands on the kids and constant movement - the kids are exhausted after a 45 minute session. He actually assesses the kids in terms of which ones can work with others so that he can get the best out of ALL his kids. He has a number of pro youth players that he has in his sessions and they also enjoy the sessions greatly. Every kid finishes the session knackered.... but with a massive smile on their face !

I read that narrative you posted Ian and I actually see someone with tremendous drive and determination. Could he have worded it better ? Sure. Does it make him a lesser coach ? Not when you realize he doesn't talk like that around the kids, ever.

He's an excellent coach IMHO.

Edited by craig

I never said we never had the ball. I said they dominated the play.

Just managed to watch the whole match, Pete you must have watched a different game from me, Motherwell nowhere near dominated that match, quite the opposite in fact!, all in my opinion of course:)

I have now tried it about ten times and when my left leg goes forward my right arm goes behind me for my balance. maybe it is me that is not natural.

Might be the case that some people do it differently. I hadn't tried it till you mentioned this and my arm actually goes up into the exact same position his did.

Just managed to watch the whole match, Pete you must have watched a different game from me, Motherwell nowhere near dominated that match, quite the opposite in fact!, all in my opinion of course:)

I said the second-half. The last 10-15 minutes of the first half we let them into it but it wasn't domination. The last 20 minutes was back to the wall stuff mostly.