[FT] Motherwell 1 - 2 Rangers (Dorrans 4, 59pen)

A really good game to watch, and bizarrely probably the most entertaining game Ive seen us in for a while but a few things still missing and a game that we could have won 5-1 or drew 3-3.

Fair play to the ref for once - he let the game flow and it was quite end to end and a great spy for the pen.

Going forward we look good and should only improve. I just think there is a presence missing somewhere - perhaps Pena or Kranjcar will fill that void.

Dorrans will absolutely stroll this league but Jack was a bit quiet.

Windass has plenty ability but lacks a bit of composure, if he starts to read things better he could be very key. He has plenty drive and pace and deserved a goal.

Im wondering if 3 at the back would suit us more though to get an extra man in midfield because Motherwell aren't a great side and made chances. Wallace had a good game down the left so would fill the left wing back role and that means we go to a 4 when defending and Id keep Candeias on the right as he has pace to burn.

But we never looked like losing the game and its a great 3 points to get out the blocks. 3 home games in a row coming up and we should be more in control of games at Ibrox so they will be good to asses.

I said the second-half. The last 10-15 minutes of the first half we let them into it but it wasn't domination. The last 20 minutes was back to the wall stuff mostly.

PC took off Miller and brought on Wilson, so he was protecting the lead. Less offence and more defence and just as you would expect, Motherwell came on a bit.

Thank God for Fod's save, though.

A really good game to watch, and bizarrely probably the most entertaining game Ive seen us in for a while but a few things still missing and a game that we could have won 5-1 or drew 3-3.

Fair play to the ref for once - he let the game flow and it was quite end to end and a great spy for the pen.

Going forward we look good and should only improve. I just think there is a presence missing somewhere - perhaps Pena or Kranjcar will fill that void.

Dorrans will absolutely stroll this league but Jack was a bit quiet.

Windass has plenty ability but lacks a bit of composure, if he starts to read things better he could be very key. He has plenty drive and pace and deserved a goal.

Im wondering if 3 at the back would suit us more though to get an extra man in midfield because Motherwell aren't a great side and made chances. Wallace had a good game down the left so would fill the left wing back role and that means we go to a 4 when defending and Id keep Candeias on the right as he has pace to burn.

But we never looked like losing the game and its a great 3 points to get out the blocks. 3 home games in a row coming up and we should be more in control of games at Ibrox so they will be good to asses.

I have no idea if this is true or not but on FF someone said Pena was told to strip down to go on but was so disinterested that Pedro changed his mind and put on Wilson. I don't believe that but Willie Vass also has a photo where he also made a statement on how disinterested he looked.

Kenny Miller had a stinker overall today. His passing was woeful and he missed a sitter. Maybe Morelos should get a starting spot with Miller thrown in later in matches when he is fresh and opposition legs tiring.

It's unbelievable how much stick Kenny gets on here...I knew right away he'd get a hammering because of the chance he blasted over the bar. It was very unlike him he usually sticks them away from that distance. Most folk in the GPL pick him to score the first goal, you know why that is? Why bring him on when teams are tiring when at the age of 38 he is as fit as a 21 year old? :flash:

I have no idea if this is true or not but on FF someone said Pena was told to strip down to go on but was so disinterested that Pedro changed his mind and put on Wilson. I don't believe that but Willie Vass also has a photo where he also made a statement on how disinterested he looked.

None of the subs when warming up looked interested tbh they did more standing and watching than actual warming up, Pena was no better or no worse than any of the others.

I think it was probably more to do with Pedro changing his mind re tactics than anything else, he took Miller off for Wilson and went 5 at the back against Sheffield Wednesday last week too.

It's unbelievable how much stick Kenny gets on here...I knew right away he'd get a hammering because of the chance he blasted over the bar. It was very unlike him he usually sticks them away from that distance. Most folk in the GPL pick him to score the first goal, you know why that is? Why bring him on when teams are tiring when at the age of 38 he is as fit as a 21 year old? :flash:

I agree he can still do a job but he did have a stinker today and there is no way he has the legs of a 21 year old at this stage. Why not bring him on when opposition legs are tiring?

When Andy Walker and Michael Stewart say the Hodson hand-ball wasn't a penalty, then I think we can agree with them for once.

Yes, his arm was raised slightly for balance but there's no deliberate attempt to stop the ball and there's no way he can move his arm from 2 yards away.

It's strange those who are criticising the referee for that aren't shouting as loudly asking why Moult wasn't sent off. His tackle at the edge of the box was late, two footed and a the very least a yellow on its own. Bizarrely, just a couple of minutes later, Cardoso was cautioned for a similar tackle - though he actually did get the ball.

In terms of the last 15-20mins, 'Well were certainly the better team. Sure they didn't dominate per se but they did have three great chances to score whilst we didn't do much on the counter as we conceded far too much possession and territory late on. Windass admitted his legs went after half-time and I personally found the Wilson substitution far too defensive. I think Holt may have been a better option for Miller if Pena still isn't fit.

1st half we were all over them. Created some great chances.

Thought Windass looked good - very keen to get on the ball & attack the opposing defence. Long may it continue.

Dorrans looked industrious, keeping control of things in the middle. Thought Jack was quiet, but still effective without standing out.

1st half, I thought the defence looked solid. 'Well had a couple of chances, but in general the coped with everything.

Thought Miller was generally quite & ineffective. Herrera was a bit better, but would prefer to see more shooting chances coming those two. Running about & annoying defenders is not their primary function.

2nd half, I though we let 'Well more into the came. I think they altered their tactics and nullified our play a bit more, allowing them to dictate the match more than we would have wanted. As others have said towards the end of the match, we were soaking up a lot of pressure from them.

If we want to see out matches more comfortably, we need to retain the control that we showed in the 1st half. During that period, I wasn't really concerned when they attacked....in the 2nd half that changed. Even though their final ball etc wasn't always great, sometimes you just never know what might happen. If the opposition are allowed to attack, there is ALWAYS a threat of a goal. It's up to us to regain control of the tempo & play - if that means completely killing the flow etc of the game, then so be it, if it protects a lead.

Overall, I thought it was a good performance, and pleasing to see the team starting to work together well.

I haven't seen all the Willie Vass photos but he has one at the end of Pena looking disconsolate after the match - not disinterested and not during it. We'd want someone who never got a run out to look disconsolate.