[FT] Motherwell 1 - 2 Rangers (Dorrans 4, 59pen)

I haven't seen all the Willie Vass photos but he has one at the end of Pena looking disconsolate after the match - not disinterested and not during it. We'd want someone who never got a run out to look disconsolate.

Probably the same photo. He can only really blame himself for letting himself get so unfit. If that is the case.

We have to give Motherwell some credit, they never let up and were in our faces the full game. Their attitude was spot on, even going behind twice they kept up a relentless pace, that's the sort of attitude we should instill in our team, that and keep going on the attack, i'm never happy when we try and shut the shop up, we're not fully there defensively yet to adopt that plan imo. We can't do that at Ibrox against Hearts, Hivs or especially the tims, we have to get our attacking game spot on, then when we are up a few goals, keep the ball above all else and keep it tight.

Afternoon guys, I can't wait till Wednesday and particularly Saturday already, its great having the footy back, and what a way to come back, we look like a different team, the game yesterday was really entertaining, although heart in the mouth stuff at times towards the end.

Our transition from defense to attack is so quick now, we don't really hang on to it at the back, its about getting the ball back and getting it forward as quickly as possible. A lot of positives about the performance, some worries as well, but as Pedro mentioned, this team has only really been together for three weeks so it will take a wee bit of time for them all to gel and know each others traits, I don't think it will take long though, I thought we were pretty impressive and had that been last year we would have probably lost that game.

Special mention to the ref though, how Moult and Heneghan stayed on the pitch I will never know, I think that was two elbows and a two footer from Moult and an elbow and a two footer from Heneghan, never mind though three points in the bag.

On Foderingham, I thought he had a great game, bar the goal, he should have came out and cleared everyone out, he was coming off his line in the first half, not sure why he stayed for that one, however his save at the end more than made up for it. more than saved the two points for us.

On the fullbacks, I thought Wallace looked back to his old self, charging forward offering support for the midfield, I thought he was great, again maybe bar the goal, I think he should have been closer to the crosser before the freekick was taken. Also chipped in with a great last ditch tackle. Still can't defend that great but I thought he offered more than he did last year.

On the other side I thought wee hodson was pretty rank tbh, I know he hasen't played a lot of games, but I can't remember him doing anything of note, to me he looks a bit out his depth. Tavernier came on and was a bit more positive, couple of good crosses and a dig at goal, his concentration needs to be better though, for the save by fods at the end he wanders inbetween the center halfs and causes mayhem, got to say Jack got sucked in as well, I think fullback is an area we need to address but at the minute it is not vital.

In the center half position I couldn't really have any complaints, Cardoso was out of position a couple of times and maybe wasen't aware what was going on behind him, but that is a very small complaint, I thought the two complimented each other very well, I think Bruno was told to stick to moult after he got the shot away at the back post, he won everything in the air and is a proper leader, Can't remember Wilson having much to do towards the end, think he will be a good back up this year. Really happy with how we have strengthened that position this year.

In the midfield, again, no complaints from me, Thought Jack and Dorrans were industrious, knew where each other were, always showed for the ball, particularly Jack, if the center halfs had the ball he was always available for a pass to relieve pressure. What can you say about Dorrans, Man of the Match Performance, was everywhere in the midfield, will be a key player for us this year. Windass, it was a tale of two halves, great in the first half, was all over the place his run and shot off the post is more of what im expecting of him this year, although if he is a wee bit more aware and doesn't go for the glory, he has a square ball for Herrera to tap in, you can't blame him for going for it though. The second half though he disappeared, maybe expected with the amount of running he was doing in the first half. Wee Candias on the right was a good outlet, again, workrate was great, up and down the right all afternoon, drifted over to the left as well, his crossing was good we need to work on corners, apart from that, again no complaints.

Up top I think both Herrera and Miller both had individual contributions but I don't think they look like a partnership, maybe they are just getting used to each other, im not sure it will work though, I think Herrera can play the target man, that's what he was signed for, I'm not sure Miller fits in to the role PC wants him to play though and I think he is getting frustrated by it. Big Herrera looks like a big unit but doesn't put himself about as much as I thought he would, he was quiet the first half but came on to more of a game the second half, good at holding up the ball and bringing others in to the game, he should be getting a header like that on target, but its his first game, he is allowed a bit of leeway, he will need time to adjust to the Scottish league, I also thought he looked as if he was always about one or two yards away from the position he should have been in, to far forward or back, again that will come as everyone gets used to each other.

On Miller I know a lot of people feel like he is the scapegoat just now and I don't want it to come across like that. His awareness to get the header down to Dorrans was very intelligent but I'm afraid that's where it ends from me, this is the first time I felt he has noticeably been a yard slower, but his touch and passing was horrendous, he lost possession quite a lot which put us under pressure. He was dropping deeper as the game went on and it isolated Herrera up top on his own. Morelos came on with 7 minutes to go, I would like to have seen him get a bit longer, looks raw but positive going forward, would like to see him get minutes on Wednesday.

On the whole not the best game from our point of view but really entertaining and 3 points in the bag. looking forward to this week :rfc:

I haven't seen all the Willie Vass photos but he has one at the end of Pena looking disconsolate after the match - not disinterested and not during it. We'd want someone who never got a run out to look disconsolate.

He will find it much more satisfying to get his first run out at home where i'm sure he will get a rousing welcome.

Thanks for that detailed post, Dave M609, but your first sentence just makes me grit my teeth (I'm working Wednesday night and following 3 Saturdays)/ My personal season will really only start in September - though there's one 3pm Sunday kick off that I might catch on RTV

Thanks for that detailed post, Dave M609, but your first sentence just makes me grit my teeth (I'm working Wednesday night and following 3 Saturdays)/ My personal season will really only start in September - though there's one 3pm Sunday kick off that I might catch on RTV

Hahaha sorry mate, im just so glad the footy is back, looking forward to this season, if anything I think its going to be entertaining.

My wife was heading into Glasgow to do some shopping so I headed through too. I watched the match in Auctioneers among some like minded guys.

Imo we were worthy of the win but it's going to take time for the squad to gel.

St Midden have serious competition - I've never seen a support so disgruntled with their lot as that mob yesterday.

one for Rousseau

25p5q94.png

Good wee bit of fun that and its quite interesting too. It seems to show that Miller was being fed the ball by roughly 6 players including Herrera but never fed Herrera enough passes to register even 3 passes. It seems like there is a degree of truth in that. I seen something from him on Sunday at one point that sort of annoyed me. Herrera tried to feed him in on the right hand edge of the Motherwell box with a slide rule pass and it looked to me to be exactly the type of pass that Miller would eat up all day long but he never made an effort to pick it nor did he even acknowledge the attempt from Herrera I really did not like that one bit.