[FT] Partick Thistle 2 - 2 Rangers (Morelos 19; Dorrans 77)

Our main threat will likely be coming up the wing with Candeias whipping those crosses in. They will be hard pushed to pack their box and prevent that happening too. And wee Morelos is the very man to feed on that either high or low.

I think all the recent attention that Candieas is getting will benefit us - Thistle will be focused on him at attacks down our right.

That then give Windass a bit more space/freedom down the left.

I think either Niko or Pena should start and also I think we need to see more of Herrera - he scored, then the next game....didn't play.

I'd stick with the same team that beat Dundee. Miller, as much as I agree that's he been poor and is done as a first-team player, is not easily replaced. Pena could come in eventually, but he's not fit yet, and Herrera is a different type of player. Windass could come in for Miller too, but he's been better wide left. No one really has the movement of Miller.

For me, Kranjcar has not been too bad, and I actually think he's been good for us - it's just that he seems to hit a brick wall at around 60 minutes; which is fair enough at 34 (?). I actually think Windass is better suited to coming on when the opposition is shattered -- hopefully with our constant pressure! -- which is what happened against Dundee; there was more space for him and they couldn't deal with his running power. Of course you could say the same about Kranjcar coming on later when the opposition is fatigued, but he doesn't have that running power.

I just think that for an opponent, the difference in facing Krancjar and Miller, initially, and Windass and Pena towards the end of a game has been important for us in the last few games. The stats suggest Kranjcar is getting some good chances but getting blocked, and Miller has just been tame with his efforts; in contrast Windass and Pena have been efficient with their chances. I wonder if it has something to do with when they come on? And I don't think bringing Miller and Kranjcar on towards the end of games will have the same effect.

It's an interesting problem.

Edited by Rousseau

The former I reckon with Dorrans perhaps deployed further forward behind Morelos.

I think PC prefers a second-striker, rather than a standard No.10 - a No.10 is rather easy to mark in this league with so many players behind the ball.

Daniel Candeias has impressed since his summer signing from Benfica.

The 29-year-old may be getting on a bit for a man in his position, but with age comes experience, and Candeias knows how to use his skills effectively: he stays wide, keeps the shape of the team, offers an out-ball, and gets his crosses in early.

While he leads the league in deliveries from wide areas (45), he’s taken on the opposing defender only eight times. He knows his strengths and weaknesses. What makes this statistic particularly stand out is the difference between Candeias’ output and the closest contender. Michael Gardyne of Ross County has 14 fewer crosses to his name.

That’s quite the leap after only five games.Furthermore, Candeias has attempted almost half as many crosses as the leading winger from last season, Barrie McKay, who had 93 across the whole of the league campaign.

Read more at: http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/four-of-the-most-interesting-stats-from-the-scottish-premiership-so-far-1-4560374

I'm looking forward to this, my first away match for a while and my first visit to Firhill for a very long time. The last time I watched a match there it was a Rugby League international between Scotland and New Zealand Maori. I used to go to Firhill often as a boy, I was raised in the north east of the city and had a lot of Thistle supporting mates growing up so the short trip to Maryhill was one I made frequently when I was still at school. Ironically Thistle got themselves in some financial bother in the early to mid 80s. They were in serious danger of going out of business, shortly after it became public knowledge a crowd of us from school when to several home matches in a row to give them some money, despite most of us being bluenoses and not having much money, we didn't want to see our friend's club go under and, of course, we were all football fans too. If only I'd known then what I know now.

Great preview Pete, thanks. I agree that Thistle's league position is misleading, this will be more of a test than last weekend.

I agree - Partick have much more of a goalscoring threat and in Barton and Edwards they have players who can nullify the opposition too.

Firhill isn't usually a place we win easily so I'd recommend having a few beers handy.