Ongoing new manager discussion and speculation

but....you never know until you ask.

I've always said through out this, they need to identify the best candidate possible 1st & foremost. Then approach them to see if they are interested in the job. Then & only then, should money come into the equation.

From the outside, it looks to be money is the driving factor, then we see who will work for what we're paying - chances are, that WILL NOT result in the best possible candidate.

Again, sounds fine but apply current circumstances and you are only setting yourself up for am increasingly embarrassing succession of knockbacks.

Money is a huge stumbling block. If Mr.X could see a 'warchest' that gave him a fighting chance of bridging the gap and matching expectation, the job has potential to be attractive and better. Otherwise, the short odds will be on you damaging any reputation you have.

It's become a very difficult situation for the board and the perception of our board/club, out there in managerland is becoming more negative as the media bide their time waiting for our next defeat.

I think the only chance for us of getting an exceptional manager is to go for an up and coming manager that grows into one, quickly.

However, that in itself would represent a big gamble and one the current situation probably excludes.

Out of work and experienced is more likely.

Edited by buster.

Im very much an outsider in the football world, just an ordinary supporter with no inside track or connections in the professional game. However, I'm willing to bet Rangers is widely and commonly regarded as a poisoned chalice by the vast majority of prospective managers, something to avoid at all costs except possibly as a short-term means to a fast buck. Our board will be marked down as people who can't be trusted. Mark Warburton might make fine noises in the media about never criticising Rangers but I'm sure he will be saying something very different privately to people inside the game. As in every walk of life, reputations count and we currently have a very poor one.

I imagine our chances of attracting anyone outside the lowest rung of the football management world are remote unless something dramatically changes at board level.

Im very much an outsider in the football world, just an ordinary supporter with no inside track or connections in the professional game. However, I'm willing to bet Rangers is widely and commonly regarded as a poisoned chalice by the vast majority of prospective managers, something to avoid at all costs except possibly as a short-term means to a fast buck. Our board will be marked down as people who can't be trusted. Mark Warburton might make fine noises in the media about never criticising Rangers but I'm sure he will be saying something very different privately to people inside the game. As in every walk of life, reputations count and we currently have a very poor one.

I imagine our chances of attracting anyone outside the lowest rung of the football management world are remote unless something dramatically changes at board level.

:merlin:

:laugh:

Money is a huge stumbling block. If Mr.X could see a 'warchest' that gave him a fighting chance of bridging the gap and matching expectation, the job has potential to be attractive and better. Otherwise, the short odds will be on you damaging any reputation you have.

Out of work and experienced is more likely.

but....you need to get to the conversion about the "warchest" first. that conversation doesn't happen, if you haven't approached a candidate. The worst thing we want to do is publicise that we have £10m to spend in Jan window - other clubs will simply increase their asking prices coz they know we have cash to spend.

As for the knockbacks.....that's a risk we have to take imho. McInnes was viewed as the "safe option", and look how that turned out. The Board must aim high, even if that mean more "soft"loans - they HAVE to pay whatever it takes to get the right person in place. It is a gamble, but hopefully one that pays off in the long run.

Any new candidate should be assured that funds will be made available.....once a certain level of performance has been reached. We don't want to bring in a manager, hand him a shed-load of cash to bring in players, then sack him soon after (again). Any new manager should be told that progress is expected with the current batch of players before bringing in anyone new. However, IF justification can be made for a certain player, it will be considered.

We simply can't go scraping the bottom of the barrel to get someone who may or may not be a success. I think the eventual appointment will indicate the Boards level of expectation moving forward. To me (& many other), McInness simply didn't show a high enough level.

It's obviously much easier for us to get a manager with nothing to lose - an up and coming SPL manager who only gets a very rare shot at a big club, or a previously successful manager who has recently hit rock bottom...

You'd have thought...

We have high expectations and a limited amount of cash with which to meet them which will scare some off. The flipside is we're a prestigious club with a decent "brand", albeit one that's waned a bit over the last five years away from Europe. But, unless we're prepared to gamble a bit, the pool of 'safe bets' is pretty limited and the EPL seems to have hoovered up a few of late.