Ongoing new manager discussion and speculation

Not true regarding needing to do a bit more to get a gig at the Academy. He is as qualified to coach at the RFC Academy as many of the other Academy coaches - indeed moreso in some instances. He has his B license and the only reason he doesn't have his A license is because his Academy (which celebrated its one year anniversary today funnily enough) grew wings very, very quickly and he didn't want to let any of his kids down (he prides himself on the fact he has only ever missed one of his Academy sessions... and that was to co-commentate on one of our games - he wishes he had went to the Academy sessions as the game he co-commentated on was our 5-1 Old Firm horsing at Ibrox last season).

He was coaching the Hibs U20 development team and currently takes Pro Youths on Saturday mornings, outside of their Pro Club coaches, including a number of Rangers Academy youths - and the RFC Academy coaches have seen the improvements in their kids since they have started attending KT's sessions. He has pro youths from a number of clubs including Rangers, Hibs and St Johnstone. I believe he has other clubs pro youth kids too.

He is also good friends with Gary Crooks (RFC Overseas Development Officer) and has a good relationship with Craig Mulholland (Academy Director).

So what else is it that he needs to do to "get a gig" ??

I got his coaching qualifications wrong actually. He already has his A license - it is the Pro License he didn't have the time to get due to his Academy

Decent article on Scotsman about his Academy here http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/kevin-thomson-s-academy-is-a-year-old-and-his-first-graduate-has-joined-livingston-1-4602595

I think you are right about the academy

I was thinking more about a higher level for him and threw that in with Murty in my mind

I was talking shite

unusual for me

Even at the higher level.... it shouldn't be forgotten that he was interviewed for Pedro's #3 - and from all the other candidates who weren't successful was about the only one who treated the rejection with humility, dignity and a class becoming of a Rangers person. So clearly someone sees KT as having plenty in his locker to be involved at 1st team level (he has recently turned down a couple of clubs' manager positions - primarily because he is aiming a bit higher and, at this point, he loves having his Academy kids).

He has also taken on another full time coach - someone who was in the HIbs Academy with him back in the day who played at various pro clubs in Scotland.

One thing I do know - he would come back to Rangers in a heartbeat. Even though he is a Hibbee, he is despondent at where we are presently and wishes he could do something to instigate change. In his own words just last week "Rangers is one of the best clubs in the world".

Edited by craig

so where would he be in relation to what Murty does ?

I'm pretty sure the club are happy with Murty in his current position (rightly so IMHO) so he wouldn't get the development team's coaching role.

Some may disagree, and some may believe that he needs more time, but I personally see no reason why KT couldn't be involved at 1st team level and be assistant to whoever comes in - especially if we didn't go with McInnes and brought someone in who would need someone who understands the club, Scottish football and Rangers. I think KT would be ideal in that role because he ticks ALL those boxes, plus he has a real winner's mentality - he is a gentleman, intelligent and eloquent, but after a defeat he would definitely leave you knowing that it wasn't unacceptable - but in such a way that the players would still respect him.

IMHO of course.

I would be content with DM, mainly because I suspect he would get us 2nd, and we'd be a organised outfit winning games regularly. However, I doubt we'll be challenging them any time soon, and the football will be brutal.

I want good football but I want good results even more.

McInnes may or may not win us the league again but there's no denying his results at Aberdeen have largely been pretty good. With an improved budget, then you'd hope he could do even better in that sense.

Edited by Frankie

I want good football but I want good results even more.

McInnes may or may not win us the league again but there's no denying his results at Aberdeen have largely been pretty good. With an improved budget, then you'd hope he could do even better in that sense.

His results have more to do with the loss of hearts hibs dundee utd and Rangers than being good at his job.

He has won one trophy same as four other managers in the spfl during the same spell.

He has already shown he doesn't know the club or fans by stating Aberdeen know their place while we still think we are a big club. He's rubbished the winning mentality and saying we should learn to lose. He has publicly stated he cannot compete with celtic with smaller budget. His record against non Scottish teams is one of the worst I have ever seen for a top four manager in Scotland.

even being mentioned is a shame on our club.

A dreadful manager who thinks rangers fans are wrong