Ongoing new manager discussion and speculation

If McInnes ends up at Rangers the sheep followers will act as if they don't give a baaa exactly like they did with Jack but in reality will be seething and devastated. Probably also more likely that if he becomes Rangers manager that McLean may follow him in January to hit them with a double kick in the nuts that will also be brushed off as nothing.

McInnes is useless and so is McLean just like Jack who is now somehow being selected for Scotland squads despite being shite.

Edited by JFK-1

Taken from FF.

Derek McInnes remains the preferred candidate of the board.

Alex Neil has applied and is considered the backup, has some support from the board as well.

Mark Allen's choice for the job is Steve McLaren.

Over 150 applications including Moyes and Pardew.

If admin need a source I can confirm.

Neil or mclaren are decent candidates

I was thinking the other day how we seem to be categorising potential managers into two groups: foreigners with the tactical nous; and British managers that are "safer", will know what it means to play for Rangers and have us organised and hard to beat etc. But what about getting a British manager, like McInnes, but doing what Sir Alex did and bring in a tactically progressive coach? I'd be more than happy with that situation; a sort of best of both worlds.

Moreover, the progressive tactics I'd like to see does not have to be a free-flowing, attack-at-all-costs philosophy like the Spanish or Dutch, but a more organised, intense pressing style like some German sides -- and Portuguese... --; to be honest, that would suit the Scottish game more than a Spanish approach.

Red Bull Salzburg play some stunning stuff -- high pressing, quick transitions etc. -- to great effect -- albeit built on Red Bull's war chest! Guys like Adi Hutter won leagues with RB Salzburg and are now doing well at other sides in Europe. Adi Hutter is currently running away with Young Boys in the Swiss league -- a league with a well-performing Basel in Europe. Surely these names are more approachable anyway? The DeBoers and Allardyces are more well-known here, but I suspect they'd be difficult to attract -- and I'm not sure their styles would suit our Scottish game.

Isn't Alex Neil the Preston manager just now and doing pretty well with them? I'd be amazed if he applied for the Rangers job, I might accept it if he was out of work but not whilst in a job and in a position to move up to the EPL next year.

Moyes is interesting and McLaren terrifying. His Dutch title is a massive outlier in an otherwise under achieving CV.