Ongoing new manager discussion and speculation

Is it really Mcinnes?

On Monday, the odious and discredited dog handler penned

".....This is a big call for McInnes, whose career has already been blighted once by that financial basket-case called Bristol City. Rangers appear brittle and lacking leadership and with money problems; a form of charity from directors is keeping the club going. In the prime of his managerial life, at 46, is this the right move for McInnes? It might not be."

It's a big call for McInnes in an entirely different manner than that cretin tries to paint it. This could be the chance of a lifetime to prove his credentials which may not come along again anytime soon or even never again. Presuming he is the chosen one what are his options?

Option 1 is stay at the sheep pen with an almost zero transfer budget where they will be happy to take a top 3 finish and a cup semi from time to time. That's the height of their ambition and that will never change.

Then option 2 go to Rangers where he will have a transfer budget for single windows the sheep wont match in a decade of windows and where there is a real ambition to be top of the pile and be winning regular silverware.

Those are his options

It's a big call for McInnes in an entirely different manner than that cretin tries to paint it. This could be the chance of a lifetime to prove his credentials which may not come along again anytime soon or even never again. Presuming he is the chosen one what are his options?

Option 1 is stay at the sheep pen with an almost zero transfer budget where they will be happy to take a top 3 finish and a cup semi from time to time. That's the height of their ambition and that will never change.

Then option 2 go to Rangers where he will have a transfer budget for single windows the sheep wont match in a decade of windows and where there is a real ambition to be top of the pile and be winning regular silverware.

Those are his options

I know, I know.

I am trying, and failing, to fathom why a media which for some time peddled the "McInnes to Rangers is a no-brainer" story now seeks to distance him from Ibrox.

I know, I know.

I am trying, and failing, to fathom why a media which for some time peddled the "McInnes to Rangers is a no-brainer" story now seeks to distance him from Ibrox.

I can only assume it's because they now think he really will be the new Rangers manager.

Michael Grant is well connected at Aberdeen for what it's worth.

The only reason McInnes would turn down the Rangers job is if he still fancies managing in England and is waiting for an opportunity to come up that's not a basket case club like Sunderland.

Whilst St Johnstone manager he lived in Renfrewshire commuting to Perth and apparently it took a while before he finally moved to Aberdeen. His family is in the central belt, that'll be a lure. Managing Rangers would make him financially secure for the rest of his life, he'd have the opportunity to not only manage one of the great clubs and one he knows well but also a genuine chance to win things. He's not going to achieve much more at Aberdeen than he has already.

I just hope that whoever gets the job can unite the fans, maintain discipline in the dressing room and reignite the enthusiasm. I've been bitterly disappointed recently, and not so much at the results, although they can hurt too.

For any player (i.e. Miller) to use an agent in the press in the way he did is completely unacceptable to me. I wouldn't care if that player was Messi. He should have been out of the club. Instead, the club appears to get rid of the manager and then reinstate Miller to the first team. In the short term it appears to have worked because he got the win, however in the medium to long term this sends out all the wrong signals and I really hoped our club was better than that. I think the board needs to take a long hard think about the importance of discipline in a club, because we appear to have lost it. It was always one of those attributes that made us a club of class and respect, and I was always proud of that. Not now!

As for the departure of the manager, I'm also very disappointed. I really wanted it to work with him because he brought many things to the club that I liked and respected. I'd have given him longer but I can understand the board's decision to do something now. For the first time in a very long time, it appeared we had a manager who had a very real and modern system. The players we had (and still have) are skilful enough to play that system, but what it showed is that they lack the toughness which is unfortunately a massive part of the game up here. When teams came for a fight, we didn't have the players who were up for it. In those games, we just didn't earn the right to play football.

Until we find a new manager, I have to be honest and say that I'm struggling to find much to be enusiastic about, and as possibly one of the forum's most optimistic members, I don't know how the majority are feeling now. We can bring in a manager who gets us winning, and that will be fine for a while, but I personally need more than that. I need us to have an identity and an attractive style. Smith won us plenty of trophies, but without Laudrup and Gazza, there was very little by way of exciting play. I like McInnes as a person and for what he's achieved, but I seriously doubt if he can bring what's needed. I know Aberdeen fans are enjoying winning, but there's no way I could watch that 'quality' of football each week.

So, it's now over to the board and staff at the club to deliver. For the first time in a while, I don't know who we are playing next, and I'm not particularly bothered either. I hate feeling this way about my team, but I can't help it. I noticed a few people saying we should take our time to get the right man in. That makes sense, but I can't imagine my enthusiasm returning until such times as we have an interesting appointment to support. Please make it quick!

For what it's worth I read your post and heard an echo of my own voice when PLG left. I so wanted him to succeed and was gutted when he left after his spat with Ferguson et al. I was even more depressed when Walter then returned.

Yet, now, I can see it was the right decision. PLG had lost the dressing room, his side wasn't gelling, his signings weren't all we'd hoped they were and he was selling the best player in the country because he was struggling to manage him. The fact I wanted him to succeed and turn us into a continental, progressive side capable of competing on a bigger stage than Scotland didn't mean he was going to achieve it. Ironically Walter then did just that taking us to the Uefa Cup Final.

I know you'd bought into Pedro and believed in the direction he was trying to take us in. I also know you know I didn't, and felt he was completely out of his depth at Rangers. We've spoken about it before publicly and privately.

Whoever we bring in needs to be winning and quickly. No Rangers manager can survive on the results Pedro was getting. So pragmatism is needed at first. Once the side is winning, once the mentality is right then work can be done on finesse and elegance. We're football fans, we're never satisfied. Win a cup and we'll celebrate but soon demand the league. Win the league and we'll celebrate but soon demand progress in Europe. Deliver in Europe and we'll celebrate but soon demand free-flowing attacking football with homegrown starlets and international galacticos. For now a Rangers side with back-bone, fight and a winning mentality will do, if we can get that we can start to demand the next step. With respect though PC wasn't delivering that and no amount of time was going to change that.

Lick your wounds and hang in there, it's amazing how a few victories can change the perspective.

Taken from FF.

Derek McInnes remains the preferred candidate of the board.

Alex Neil has applied and is considered the backup, has some support from the board as well.

Mark Allen's choice for the job is Steve McLaren.

Over 150 applications including Moyes and Pardew.

If admin need a source I can confirm.

Taken from FF.

Alex Neil has applied and is considered the backup, has some support from the board as well.

Why bother getting Allen's input as DoF when the Board are going down the route they wish to take themselves ??

McInnes is probably the least inspiring of ALL those candidates to me - can't quite put my finger on why though.

Moyes would be interesting because he clearly had Everton punching well above their weight before his spectacular fall at Man U. But even at Man U, he inherited a rapidly declining, ageing team. Sir Alex times his retirement perfectly.

Taken from FF.

Why bother getting Allen's input as DoF when the Board are going down the route they wish to take themselves ??

McInnes is probably the least inspiring of ALL those candidates to me - can't quite put my finger on why though.

Moyes would be interesting because he clearly had Everton punching well above their weight before his spectacular fall at Man U. But even at Man U, he inherited a rapidly declining, ageing team. Sir Alex times his retirement perfectly.

Yep, Ferguson knew that team was finished as a top contender but I wouldn't say he abandoned them as such. He knew it was going to take maybe up to 5 years to rebuild it and at his age he didn't want to go through that again and at his age that's acceptable. As for Moyes I don't think he was given enough time.

If they had judged Ferguson on his first 10 months there he too would have been out. He finished 11th in the table in his second full season in charge after having been there for two and a half years.