[FT] Aberdeen 1 - 2 Rangers (Wilson 14; Windass 63)

I just want to bring into the discussion. Has playing with 5 defenders really helped us cement the back and give us a platform to build from the back. Aberdeen scored with a free-kick from distance but have had in 2 games hardly had a chance shot on goal. Has Ross McCrorie brought out the best of Ryan Jack in that he is now playing further forward and has been relieved of a lot of his defensive duties.

What do we do when Dorrans come s back? Will that be to the cost of Holt or Pena?

I just want to bring into the discussion. Has playing with 5 defenders really helped us cement the back and give us a platform to build from the back. Aberdeen scored with a free-kick from distance but have had in 2 games hardly had a chance shot on goal. Has Ross McCrorie brought out the best of Ryan Jack in that he is now playing further forward and has been relieved of a lot of his defensive duties.

What do we do when Dorrans come s back? Will that be to the cost of Holt or Pena?

We want to play with two wingers but we don't have the personnel for it right now as Windass doesn't really fullfill that wide role particularly well. Playing in the diamond with McCrorie at its base and Pena at its tip allows two things because McGuillit floats in between the lines and pushes our forward line further forward while McCrorie plugs the ball over the top. It allows Jack and Holt to be interchangeable with any of the midfielders that we have on our bench increases their lateral possibilities and it also allows the two front players, at the moment, Windass and Miller to be more dynamic vertically.

The trouble with that system is that its more complicated than 4-2-3-1 and takes players time to settle into it properly but from what I've been seeing since Wednesdays game is that it suits the personnel we have available at this moment and they seem fairly comfortable with it too. It seems more natural than what they were being asked to do previously.

Edited by Big Jaws
spelling

The diamond is working. McCrorie has been great in there, no doubt about it.

I'd go with:

McCrorie

Dorrans Jack

Pena

With Windass and Morelos in front of them.

Dorrans, Pena, Kranjcar could all play at the head of the diamond

Holt and Jack positions needs more industrious players so Dorrans, Barjonas, Thomson, could all play Jacks role and then add in Candieas and they could all play Holts role.

What is football it is all about guessing anticipation and taking chances. A striker guesses and takes a chance when running to the front or back post. Guessing gives a keeper mostly a 50% chance he is right. Sometimes 33% if you take going down the middle. When you take it that penalty takers habits are well studied before the time then those odds could be vastly improved. Did you see the Liverpool free-kick yesterday? They had studied that the wall always jumped so they took a chance and hit a daisy cutter and the wall jumped nicely over the ball leaving the keeper stranded. Anyway I will leave it at that because I guess you won't give in until you say we will have to agree to disagree.:D

We will have to agree to disagree. A keeper guessing won’t keep his job for too long.