[FT] Hibernian 1 - 2 Rangers (Windass 42; Morelos 45)

How many times do we come on here after a match and complain about dominating a match yet not win?

Match stats from BBC:

Hibernian - Rangers

Possession

Home50% Away50%

Shots

Home10 Away12

Shots on Target

Home 3 Away 3

Corners

Home 4 Away 4

Fouls

Home 15 Away 18

Those dont match with lennons assesement

An unforseen event meant I missed the game last night but the result makes up for it.

By all accounts we rode our luck but that is 6 points from 2 games that it could easily have been only one.

4 premiership wins in a row is hugely important when 3 of those are against immediate rivals.

We'll have to get performance levels back up soon as we won't always get away with it.

--------------

Semi-Useless stat for day:...........All four teams at the top of the SPFL1 have better Away records than at Home

Very important win last night. Ironically we played very poorly (in terms of keeping possession anyway) but took two of the four clear chances we had to win the game. That's football!

Not a surprise to see the narrative of Hibs being hard done by. Yes, we/Bates got away with one but so did Hibs early in the game. Interesting to see Wes booked for time-wasting. Happens every time at Ibrox and nothing is done. Will media highlight that?

All in all, I'm disappointed with the way we've played in the last two games but pleased with the work-rate of the team. More importantly, I'm delighted with the character they're showing to come back and win games from poor positions.

Vital now, we build on this with more wins ahead of the winter break, giving us the chance to apply some pressure to Celtic ahead of the 30th. Can't wait for Saturday already - injury problems notwithstanding.

Few things about last night.

I thought Candeias was fantastic off the ball. His workrate was great and did the jobs of 2 men. On ball he was rank rotten.

We didn't play well but by fuck we've deserved the rub of the green after so many dodgy decisions against us.

Fod kept us in it and I fear that English clubs will come sniffing if not in January then definitely the summer.

We desperately need Dorrans and Jack back. We rode our luck last night at times and gave the ball away for too easily and quickly. Jack especially would've put his foot on the ball and calmed thing down.

I can't believe there's some people out there not happy with last night. It was delightful. A typical smash and grab performance.

There was a sense of a Walter-esque defensive performance by the team and it was lovely to see. Backs to the wall stuff.

The lads will be tired and sore. We now need to win on Saturday to keep the pressure up on Celtic, Aberdeen and Hibs. The latter play each other this weekend so something will give there.

Loved it.

That was a very enjoyable win. Coming from behind to take all 3 points is great at any time, but when it has the added bonus of getting Lennon upset, it's all the more pleasing. He is a most distasteful individual, and I can't think of many people that bring the game into disrepute more than he does.

The goal we lost was so poor, and let's face it we could have lost a few more. Having said that, we could,and should have had more ourselves. BUT, it's worth saying too that our two goals were crackers. I can't think of many people that would have scored either of those two goals, other than the guys who did. Windass was superb for his, and Morelos seems to make goals out of nothing.

And finally, well done to Murty. I know he was forced into the changes, but to put confidence in those young lads to go and perform was great to see. The future of our club must be in the development of our youths so it's a brilliant incentive for others to see the pathway into the senior team.

You know for all Hibs carried the greater threat, not exactly surprising at Easter Road, Morelos should have scored a hat-trick, those two back post headers were great chances. Hibs goal was a wicked deflection and, yes, they had chances and close things in the second half but it wan't the hammering some are suggesting it was. Yip, they could have had a penalty, but so should we.

I couldn't be happier about the result. Beating Hibs never gets boring. For me that performance was everything that was missing from Pedro's sides. Early in the match we lose our captain and most experienced player from a side already featuring two teenagers and yet we fought, harried, cleared and backed each other up all night. It was the kind of battling performance all Rangers sides need to have. Sometimes the other side is just better on the night, so you need to be able to out fight them. Rotten December nights away from home are where markers are put down and real teams are forged, to come from behind is even more commendable.

The side clearly still has weaknesses, but now it has strengths too. Wee Holt's pass to Windass for the first was a thing of beauty and McCrorie was superb throughout, his emergence this season is really exciting. Remember that side was missing Wallace, Jack, Dorrans, Miller for most of it, four experienced and almost certain starters.

Edited by JohnMc

Rangers play poor and win a tough match= lucky!, any other teams wins like that= great battling qualities!, playing poor and winning sign of champions!

Walter Smith did it many times mate. Goram would save the day, only for us to go and take our chances at the other end.

Edited by Waltersgotstyle

That was an awful performance, especially first-half. McCrorie was the only one winning his battles; the rest couldn't stand up to the physicality! Barjonas did well too, jinking past a few players. Teenagers?!

I thought we saw some tactical nous from Murty, and I suspect JJ. (JJ has got management experience, I think?) We started in a 4-4-2 diamond, which helped us pack the midfield. We did OK, but we allowed Stevenson to drift from LWB to hit the worst shot I've ever seen! Poor marking. The diamond is quite narrow, and although we tended to 'dominate' the central area, in the sense that we weren't overrun, their 3-5-2 meant they always had a wing-back open. They got in time after time.

Once Miller went off we switched to a 4-2-3-1 which burst the bubble in terms of the game plan, and we couldn't get near them. Morelos was dominated physically, and numerically.

Second half we switch to a 4-1-4-1, mathcing them in the middle, with Holt and Barjonas man-making the central pair and McCrorie picking up drifters into the hole. It worked better, but they still got in on the Right-hand side, mostly because of Windass' inexplicable inability to track a man -- inexplicable because he knows how to make those runs himself! --; he keeps "tackling" from behind whereas at least Candeias gets in front of his man.

Then, when Hibs brought Barker (a winger) on, going more with a three up front (4-3-3?), they seemed to really dominate. Barker was not marked closely enough, just because of the numbers in the middle. Murty/JJ then went to a back three, meaning Tavernier and John matched up with their WBs and Big Bates helped out with any aerial balls.

The intent from Murty/JJ was terrific. But, we need to be better at keeping the ball, and being able to play through teams. I thought we knew what we were doing at the start, in the diamond although it wasn't perfect, but once we were forced to change shape, we seemed to lose all confidence about what we were supposed to do.

Herrera's first touch is mince, but he did well to win fouls, chase down defenders and waste time. Just what we needed.

Pete mentioned it, but it really annoyed me how Foderingham can get booked for one slight instance of time-wasting when every 'keeper is time-wasting against us from 20 minutes in without judgement!

Edited by Rousseau