McCoist on Ashley!

Ally McCoist reckons Rangers fans would back Mike Ashley if he re-invested in the club

The billionaire was a controversial figure among the Ibrox support and his involvement was ended last June.

• BY RECORD SPORT ONLINE
  • 08:28, 19 JAN 2018UPDATED08:58, 19 JAN 2018

Ally McCoist reckons Rangers fans would get behind Mike Ashley if the Newcastle United returned and invested in the club.

The billionaire sold his remaining Ibrox shares to fan group Club 1872 and businessman Julian Wolhardt in June 2017.

The Light Blues legend was a guest on Alan Brazil's talkSPORT breakfast show and discussion turned to the Sports Direct owner's controversial involvement with Rangers.

JS125891973.jpgMike Ashley insisted Sports Direct's 'underlying profit before tax remains healthy'(Image: 

Asked if supporters would get behind Ashley if he was willing to pump money into the club, McCoist said: “I think that the fans would get behind anyone that will come in and invests in the club.

“Obviously Dave King would have a major say in that because he is still currently there, I genuinely don’t think that there is a massive ill feeling towards Mike Ashley.

“I think what Mike Ashley was attempting to do at Rangers was make the best of a situation for himself which, for a businessman, he has done throughout his life.

Screen-Shot-2018-01-05-at-170241.pngMcCoist doesn't think there's much ill-feeling towards Ashley at Rangers(Image: Twitter) JS134896993.jpgDave King negotiated the end of the Newcastle United owner's involvment at Ibrox

“I think there’s a lot of the Rangers support that would welcome somebody coming in with finance who would want to invest in the team and the club.”

Ashley's involvement at Ibrox finished last year when chairman Dave King negotiated a deal to end the club's seven-year contract with Sports Direct, announcing a re-structured agreement which was welcomed by fans.

Edited by BEARGER

Utterly deluded and cringeworthy.

Even if Ashley wanted to invest Man City levels of cash I wouldn't want him anywhere near us.   

First and foremost, we know all about his character and his methods.   If that doesn't spell it out to you clearly, you clearly haven't been paying attention.

Plus we have Barry Ferguson in the Record who can't believe we didn't sign Naismith!, he says he wouldn't like to think it was because of the way he left the club!!, nobody can blame him for walking away!.

These guys are so far out of the way Rangers fans feel it's incredible!, you can throw Boyd in there as well.

3 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

Plus we have Barry Ferguson in the Record who can't believe we didn't sign Naismith!, he says he wouldn't like to think it was because of the way he left the club!!, nobody can blame him for walking away!.

These guys are so far out of the way Rangers fans feel it's incredible!, you can throw Boyd in there as well.

I don't know if its whether these folk live in a bubble, or whether they just make up whatever random nonsense enters their mind that they just speak without thinking. 

Either way, I guess I'm even more alarmed at the prospect of fans taking their point of view seriously.

1 minute ago, ian1964 said:

Maybe Heart & Hand should get these three on as guests?, educate them a bit!

That would be good to hear, but unfortunately these guys would run a mile from it because they wouldn't be soft-soaped with easy questions and letting them off the hook when they make clearly bonkers statements like they have this week.