McCoist on Ashley!

1 hour ago, RANGERRAB said:

I actually don't think McCoist is wrong but there is not a cat in hells chance of Ashley investing in Rangers or any club. He is getting out of football altogether 

I actually agree with Rab and Ally on this. I don't think McCoist is as out-of-touch with the greater support as some of us think. There is a percentage of every club's support, and some cases quite a big percentage, who will back anyone who promises to invest money. We're no different. It's not that long ago that a fairly well known supporter's group were championing Craig Whyte, and a good number were very supportive of Charles Green for a long time. Indeed one of the reasons I switched full-time to Gersnet was reading some of the stick both Gunslinger and Forlan's Sister got on another forum from posters who refused to believe those in charge of our club were harming it. 

If Mike Ashley said he'd learned from past mistakes and he wanted to invest £50 million in Rangers and win the league and take us back into the Champion's League there would be people in our support who would back him, there's nothing surer. Not everyone is as aware of business and boardroom and off-field personalities as your average Gersnet poster is. I wouldn't want Ashley anywhere near Rangers, but I learned a while ago that not everyone thinks like I do! 

It shows a lack of understanding of the true feeling of the Ibrox legions imo. yes there are some Rangers fans that work abroad that don't keep up with the daily workings and nuances at the club. However the vast majority of fans on the forums, blogs, in supporters clubs and the ordinary rank and file, know Ashley to be a fat loathsome chancer who is a miser and would rip his own mother off in any deal to make a penny.

Ally wake up and smell the outpouring of hate for this man.

8 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

There's a difference between those who championed Whyte and Green and the Ashley situation.

The championing of Whyte and Green took place prior it being proved that they were not good for the club. Many fans want the directors to be good and are willing to always be half glass full until it's proven otherwise. The difference is that Ashley has proven that he's not got the best interests of the club to heart and was willing to shaft us for his own gain.

Very few would now trust him, no matter what he promised.

I agree he's all those things, however I still think you over estimate some of our support. People were championing Whyte even after we went into administration and likewise Green was lionised by a surprising amount of people despite what I thought were very clear signs he was bad news. 

This is all hypothetical, I don't think Ashley will return to Rangers, but if he did and he made the right sort of noises and tapped into some of the concerns a section of the support have towards King there would be people who would welcome him. There would be people who'd welcome Kim Jong Un and Donald Trump if they promised to sign Messi and stop Celtic winning the league. 

I think it depends on the circumstances.  If Ashley rolled up to Ibrox and said "here's £100mill, off you go" then turned round and went home.  I'd take his investment.  As and when the club finances permitted it, he'd be welcome to take his money back with a small rate of returned based on the performance of the overall figures.  I don't think there's a problem there.  If that investment was tied to a say in the running of the club or any level of influence or involvement, then it becomes a non-starter, but I'd certainly take his money if it was offered without strings!

2 minutes ago, RabiDuck said:

I think it depends on the circumstances.  If Ashley rolled up to Ibrox and said "here's £100mill, off you go" then turned round and went home.  I'd take his investment.  As and when the club finances permitted it, he'd be welcome to take his money back with a small rate of returned based on the performance of the overall figures.  I don't think there's a problem there.  If that investment was tied to a say in the running of the club or any level of influence or involvement, then it becomes a non-starter, but I'd certainly take his money if it was offered without strings!

.... But as we all know, he doesn't make those types of investments.