Rangers 2 (Morelos, Tavernier) v Aberdeen 0

5 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

We've tried Halliday in that holding role previously and he didn't look too assured there.  Having said that, I've no idea who else is appropriate for that role.  Goss looks big and strong but doesn't come across as someone who enjoys the physical battle.

As for Bates, I really like him and fully expect him to start.  I suspect it'll be alongside Wilson.

Agreed - its not his best position.   I'm just musing about how we match up to the threats Aberdeen will pose.   There isn't an obvious answer, hence why I'm wondering if Halliday might get the nod to provide a bit of extra dig.

Halliday coming in for McCrorie in the holding role raises serious concerns for me.  McCrorie is tough and a good footballer.  Halliday likes rolling around and is a very average footballer.  

I'd stick 5 across the midfield.  Candeias and Murphy out wide with Goss, Holt and Barjonas in the middle.  

13 minutes ago, stewarty said:

Agreed - its not his best position.   I'm just musing about how we match up to the threats Aberdeen will pose.   There isn't an obvious answer, hence why I'm wondering if Halliday might get the nod to provide a bit of extra dig.

We need to win the battle in the first 10-15 minutes and earn the right to play football.  Halliday might just have enough fight in him to help win that right enough.  That's never what he lacks.  It's the lack of positional sense that's his problem.  He's fine when the opposition has the ball, but when we have it, he seems to lose discipline and then is out of position during a quick counter attack.  I think it's probably because he always wants to find space and help build an attack, rather than provide the cover we need if we lose the ball.

Aberdeen will not sit back tonight, but they will try to hit us quickly on counters too.  If our forward players can be alert enough to react to us winning the ball back during such a counter attack, I've noticed that Aberdeen always overcommit players and we have a real chance to make them pay.  That's why I really hope Goss plays.  He can find that pass to Morelos or Windass quickly and directly.  Equally, Murphy has the skill to take them on and find the man in the box so we need to make sure we have enough players moving in the box for the crosses.

I can't wait.

I'm a little bit worried about this one for a few reasons. Main one is the lost warm up match at the weekend, in comparison to Aberdeen getting a perfect warm up match against decent opposition. Three new signings starting (probably) could backfire too, they're getting thrown in at the deep end. Danny Wilson apparently not starting and David Bates not in the squad also a worry.

Hope I'm wrong and the new signings rise to the occasion and Murty does it again, after all big games is his speciality.

27 minutes ago, DMAA said:

I'm a little bit worried about this one for a few reasons. Main one is the lost warm up match at the weekend, in comparison to Aberdeen getting a perfect warm up match against decent opposition. Three new signings starting (probably) could backfire too, they're getting thrown in at the deep end. Danny Wilson apparently not starting and David Bates not in the squad also a worry.

Hope I'm wrong and the new signings rise to the occasion and Murty does it again, after all big games is his speciality.

Our warm up was beating the Brazilian champions, so although this is a step up in physicality, it's a definite step down in technicality.  The team should be up for this though, because skill in these games is never enough to win.

I hadn't seen the squad news so if that's true that both Bates and Wilson are out I'm off to look out my boots, because I'm expecting a call from the gaffer to play.  But seriously, who is playing CB now?  I can only assume it's Martin and Cardoso then?  Whoever it is needs the support and protection of the midfield.  We need to win that battle.  If our defenders need to make a tackle tonight it's because the midfield hasn't done it's job.

Tonight really feels like a massive game.  I've got that battle fever already.

1 hour ago, Gaffer said:

Our warm up was beating the Brazilian champions, so although this is a step up in physicality, it's a definite step down in technicality.  The team should be up for this though, because skill in these games is never enough to win.

I hadn't seen the squad news so if that's true that both Bates and Wilson are out I'm off to look out my boots, because I'm expecting a call from the gaffer to play.  But seriously, who is playing CB now?  I can only assume it's Martin and Cardoso then?  Whoever it is needs the support and protection of the midfield.  We need to win that battle.  If our defenders need to make a tackle tonight it's because the midfield hasn't done it's job.

Tonight really feels like a massive game.  I've got that battle fever already.

Aye, their development team !