Danny Wilson move to Colorado Rapids confirmed

Wilson makes his career discisions based on money. He left us to go to Liverpool for the signing on fee and higher wages, it was not a football decision. He left Hearts to come down a division to play for us for more money. Not blaming him. If the figures being mentioned are true he has an overinflated idea of his worth. He’s played a couple of good games lately but not good eneough overall in my opinion.. 

So, Danny Wilson is likely for the off again. And again, perhaps at the period he's performing his best in a Rangers' shirt during a particular spell.

This time, he's allegedly setting off for America and the MLS: football's retirement village. And at age 26, no less. What should be the peak years of a footballer's life.

We needn't spend much time recapping Wilson's career missteps. He left too soon for Liverpool the first time, just as he had a chance to be an integral part of a trophy-winning side. But the glory and prestige of an EPL contract came to his door, and Wilson rebuffed Rangers for a shot at glory.™

The deal could've been decent enough for Rangers had Wilson shown any of the talent he'd displayed as a 17-year-old replacement for an injured Majid Bougherra. The team that made him its youngest-ever Champions League participant stood to make £5 million off the deal—£2 million reported up front and £300,000 for each of his first 10 appearances—if Wilson could ever stay on the park.

He didn't. And then he didn't get on the pitch during a pair of loan deals to Blackpool and then Bristol City, who, at the time, were mired in an English Championship relegation battle. Wilson pulled on the glorious No. 40 shirt for the Robins only once.

Cue a 2013 return to Scotland via a loan to Hearts, where he would eventually land on a permanent deal and be named captain at just 21-years-old. Wilson would make 85 total appearances for the Edinburgh side as he began to show glimpses of the skill he'd apparently left behind at Murray Park when he moved south.

And then the return to Ibrox, which has been, we could say, an up and down show in an up and down team for the still-young central defender. Yet now, just as he appears to have a role in Graeme Murty's resurgent side, Wilson again wants out, this time for the glamour transfer to Denver and a Colorado Rapids side that finished second-bottom in MLS last season. A league with viewership numbers that would make Neil Doncaster cringe and a market cap solely tied to franchises' expansion fees.

Talent has never been the question with Danny Wilson. Or, at least, it didn't use to be. Years of toiling on the bench in what should have been his prime development stage certainly stunted his growth as a footballer. And what would have become of him in the fallout of 2012 can never be known.

But what is clear, certainly now, is that this has never been a player suited for the spotlight that comes when one pulls on the light blue. Wilson once said he hoped to model his career on the AC Milan great Paolo Maldini, who similarly broke into the senior side at age 17. Maldini's run had a slightly different trajectory, of course: more than 900 appearances, 7 Serie A titles, 5 Champions Leagues, 25 years in a Milan shirt. Wilson, as he prepares to exit Ibrox a second time, surely must look back now and wonder what could have been. If he looks back for guidance and self-reflection at all.

And that, perhaps, will be the memory of Wilson's career, whenever and wherever it stops. Maybe this move to America is for the sake of his personal life, and maybe there is something noble in that pursuit. But this was a young man who could have and perhaps should have reached the heights of the sport. Instead, he was forever in pursuit of something that seems impossible for the average supporter to understand. A "success" that seems so intangible. Whatever that is, it will always feel like a missed opportunity, for both him and Rangers.

—Shane Nicholson, @ofvoid

Edited by BEARGER

Wilson was promising for us....we got £millions from Liverpool for him.

He was good for Hearts in the Championship

and average for us except these last few months when he's put in good performances

if he can get a better deal elsewhere good luck to him

I am a Wilson critic but was warming to him with his recent displays.The latest developement however sends me back to an early post about him when I questioned his ambition in that he moved from a Championship winning team down a division to come back to us.

This now convinces me that I was correct in my assessment about his ambition as he will now disappear when he goes to the U.S.A.

Whatever the reason for his decision, good luck to the guy.  I hope it works out for him and his family.  I appreciate what he's done for us, but it makes sense all round for him to go.  Cheers Danny.