Pacific Quay Musings?

6 minutes ago, D'Artagnan said:

I see Celtic Tom has chosen to mention Kyle's previous gambling problems in his latest BBC article, despite getting something of a roasting on Twitter the other day from Frankie, myself & many others for his denial of BBC bias.

A pathetic article from what I read.  I only managed the first few paragraphs, it was so obviously snearing.   In other words, a typical Tom English piece.

30 minutes ago, D'Artagnan said:

I see Celtic Tom has chosen to mention Kyle's previous gambling problems in his latest BBC article, despite getting something of a roasting on Twitter the other day from Frankie, myself & many others for his denial of BBC bias.

I think the gambling problems merit a mention tbh.

Not to focus on by themselves, but to show that since he went public about it he has managed to mature and put in an excellent season on the park. I'd guess that the two things are connected.

SG appears to be an excellent man-manager and I doubt that will have escaped his notice.

52 minutes ago, stewarty said:

A pathetic article from what I read.  I only managed the first few paragraphs, it was so obviously snearing.   In other words, a typical Tom English piece.

Too true Stewarty.

I read it all and the tone is sneering. Any compliment to Kyle's playing exploits are done so grudgingly.

As impartial as it would appear to read, the tone overrides everything.

2 minutes ago, Soulsonic5791 said:

Too true Stewarty.

I read it all and the tone is sneering. Any compliment to Kyle's playing exploits are done so grudgingly.

As impartial as it would appear to read, the tone overrides everything.

Compare and contrast to the sympathetic tone displayed a year ago by Mr English when Lafferty's gambling demons were exposed. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41239996

What has changed since then?  Simple, he's back at the big bad Rangers and is now fair game.

3 hours ago, buster. said:

I think the gambling problems merit a mention tbh.

Not to focus on by themselves, but to show that since he went public about it he has managed to mature and put in an excellent season on the park. I'd guess that the two things are connected.

SG appears to be an excellent man-manager and I doubt that will have escaped his notice.

Can only guess you haven't read the article. The tone and reason for the article clearly have nothing to do with helping a guy fight an addiction.

Edited by trublusince1982

29 minutes ago, trublusince1982 said:

Can only guess you haven't read the article. The tone and reason for the article clearly have nothing to do with helping a guy fight an addiction.

I didn't say it did.

IMO Tom English has proved himself to be biased 'as charged', especially over the last 7 years.

That doesn't mean everything he writes or says should automatically be taken that way, even if within there is an apparently negative slant on X or Y. Of occasion, the negative slant will be merited, on others not so.

What actually happens if you try to pin everything on him, he is given an 'out'. In other words, if you want to go after him (or whoever), only do so when you are sure of your ground and he has no credible comeback. Only use issues  with little to no dubiety over a 'reasonable verdict'.

In this particular case, it isn't something to put on the metaphorical charge sheet. It's more something to log and file away as it might provide useful further down the line.

eg. This thread is an excellent resource wrt the 'ongoing situation' with BBC Scotland and keeps a record of what has gone down, including this article. .........You could have a sub-thread or simply a C&P file, logging events or whatever against programmes/individuals/other which could make a 'charge sheet'...... Then you have a very useful tool.

Edited by buster.

7 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Morelos disallowed goal.jpg

They have no comeback: ........................Add to the charge sheet

It reminds me of the reporting of the Sheep penalty award in the Aberdeen game (post-split) last season.

We did something similar on here to the above quote (text, not a graphic) and low and behold, BBC Scotland actually changed the wording of their article.

Edited by buster.

25 minutes ago, buster. said:

I didn't say it did.

IMO Tom English has proved himself to be biased 'as charged', especially over the last 7 years.

That doesn't mean everything he writes or says should automatically be taken that way, even if within there is an apparently negative slant on X or Y. Of occasion, the negative slant will be merited, on others not so.

What actually happens if you try to pin everything on him, he is given an 'out'. In other words, if you want to go after him (or whoever), only do so when you are sure of your ground and he has no credible comeback. Only use issues  with little to no dubiety over a 'reasonable verdict'.

In this particular case, it isn't something to put on the metaphorical charge sheet. It's more something to log and file away as it might provide useful further down the line.

eg. This thread is an excellent resource wrt the 'ongoing situation' with BBC Scotland and keeps a record of what has gone down, including this article. .........You could have a sub-thread or simply a C&P file, logging events or whatever against programmes/individuals/other which could make a 'charge sheet'...... Then you have a very useful tool.

Used how? 

No idea how commenting on something in seclusion or calling a spade a spade has anything to do with a body of evidence or the guys previous writing but even so...

The piece is a horrible nasty spiteful pile of garbage whether it stands on its own two feet or is taken as a continuous agenda led program. 

Using a person's admitted addiction to say he could cause harm at his new employer is never justified. Have no idea how justification for that slant or tone could ever be possible, especially when being passed as sports journalism I'm today's world.

We would have far more support from outside if we went after things like this. Simply because it can't be justified, there is no upside to this type of writing that can garner support or defence. These are the battles we should take up because they can be won and cause harm to the BBC and it's image.