Pacific Quay Musings?

11 hours ago, Bill said:

Correct. Instead of whining about how badly we're treated

I understand your general point Bill but this thread has been used to record countless examples of biased and/or unfair coverage of Rangers. Only last week Tom English flatly denied there was any bias and asked for examples. Surely you see a benefit in having a record of some examples in a thread like this?

21 minutes ago, DMAA said:

I understand your general point Bill but this thread has been used to record countless examples of biased and/or unfair coverage of Rangers. Only last week Tom English flatly denied there was any bias and asked for examples. Surely you see a benefit in having a record of some examples in a thread like this?

Good morning DMAA.

I think there's a difference between challenging the media and building a record of their bias, as you mention, and some of the posts I've read that seem to suggest (pointlessly) seeking a reconciliation with the likes of the BBC. As I said in my post, I'm all for taking on these bastards. What I don't feel comfortable with is fans proposing a compromise or "settlement" that effectively gives credence to their conduct, because we somehow "need" the BBC. I don't think we do.

This is a marvellous topic, one of the first I look for. Mostly it doesn't involve "whining" and so long as it remains as entertaining and informative as 26th presents it, I'm the better for reading it. But that's not the same as saying I think we should be sitting down with the BBC to find a resolution - which I think was what I was trying to describe as whining. I should try to be clearer but sometimes posts are made in a rush.

Easiest way to mark their bias is to  check out for articles bound to cast us in a bad light or who are generally negative.

E.g. ... yesterday broke the EBT story. Guess who were the first at it?!

... in reverse order:

Ex Rangers players ‘pursued for tax over EBTs’ Edinburgh Evening News19:01 Mon, 27 Aug

'Disgrace', 'Happy days': Some fans react to Rangers star missing international call-up HITC19:00 Mon, 27 Aug

'Would be a good signing': Some Rangers fans getting excited after knowing Gerrard's latest… Sportslens18:42 Mon, 27 Aug

Rangers man should break his mould and try to lead Gerrard to a league title - Opinion The Transfer Tavern18:09 Mon, 27 Aug

Players pursued for tax over Rangers EBTs BBC18:06 Mon, 27 Aug

Rangers swoop for international winger while Celtic and Gers both target Premier... Belfast Telegraph17:58 Mon, 27 Aug

After the BBC, it was ONLY the Edinburgh and the Glasgow Evening Times ever took up on it ... if NewsNow is any sort of measure. And this is very much the standard, i.e. Scrote and Co. being at it first. But if we win in Europe or sign a player ...

13 minutes ago, Bill said:

What I don't feel comfortable with is fans proposing a compromise or "settlement" that effectively gives credence to their conduct, because we somehow "need" the BBC. I don't think we do.

That's fair enough. I've given my opinion on that in this thread so I'm leaving it there. I thought when you mentioned whining you were suggesting there was no point in even recording their bias on here.

Saturday morning began with Angela Haggerty as a guest on Shereen Nanjiani's show. In the several short months that Haggerty has appeared on this programme, she has been introduced as, Editor of the Common Weal, Sunday Herald columnist, Sunday Herald News Editor, and now Herald Columnist. Her designations may change but usually her 'moment of the week' remains constant, something ra Sellik related. It changed too this week, she attended a funeral on her home island of Bute, where she informed us that she had never laughed so much at a funeral. Further, she announced the deceased was a Rangers supporter. Of course, as in all Angela's tales, it will conclude she is the victim. It's a haunting refrain.

The Hags first tottering steps towards humanity ignored a real opportunity for insight. A few weeks past, her 'moment of the week' was fulsome praise for St Cadoc's Youth FC winning a tournament in Holland. It appears to be de rigueur for those with the knowledge to give a nod to St Cadoc's. There is a powerful pull from Newton Mortgage, a parish with associated primary school, and a Youth football attachment lasting thirty years. Influential backers too over the decades, Tommy Burns, Pat Bonner, Liam O'Donnell, .................... etc.  Currently, the Chair of St Cadoc's Parent Council is Simon Whyte. The husband of the recently appointed SFA Compliance Officer, Clare Whyte who referenced her involvement in youth football on application. I suspect Angela could have told us so much?

Faith issues were to the fore with DrStu' too. During the early afternoon show, he lapsed into a warm nostalgia, telling us of Jum Spence and himself adopting regular rye smiles as certain elements of the footballing community assumed their catholicism meant Sellik supporting. He admitted to both teasing the unsuspecting on social media, flashing their altar boy credentials. DrStu' finished with, "I'm not particularly religious, I don't think Jum is either"? Can you say that on live radio whilst your son is enrolled in denominational education?

These last couple of years, DrStu' has been anxious to defuse the results of past adventures. The RTC Blog has disappeared and on several occasions DrStu' has appealed to let it go, "it's in the past, let's move on". There has been instances of expression of regret, he wished he had not penned a piece referring to Rangers supporters as, "typical H-u-ns and Orange wa-nk-ers". Like Angela, he wants to establish a new relationship moving on. Given this, it's surprising that he chose Saturday to extrapolate once again and specifically state, "during Rangers financial meltdown, emerging as a new club". It brought a rye smile to my face Stu', because you cannot help yourself.     

Be interesting to see what the mood of it becomes if we win on Thursday night then beat them on Sunday. Will it be Rangers inspired hiring of 'rookie' Stevie G along with good signings paying dividends? Or will it be a covert woe is me sellick need to get their house in order.