Pacific Quay Musings?

But it's not in the past though, is it? That's not how addiction works, it's not behind him, it's in front of him everyday. He literally needs to deal with it all the time. I mean he's only 'clean' less than 12 months, he could easily relapse if he's not on top of it. 

I didn't read the article as a piece on Rangers but as a piece on Lafferty. Read in conjunction with English's article on Lafferty's addiction issue last year I think English comes across as someone who is concerned for Lafferty's well being. My reading of the latest article is that English has concerns that a high profile, big money, high pressure move to a club like Rangers might not be in Lafferty's long term best interests. Now that might be because English doesn't like the idea of an inform player joining Rangers or it might be because he has genuine concerns around Lafferty's ability to deal with the added pressure. We can all speculate on that. 

Lafferty hasn't conquered his gambling addiction, he's dealing with it, those are two different things. Lafferty's career is littered with missed chances, metaphorical and literal, he's someone who has shown glimpses of his ability, then hidden it away again for long periods. I wan't Lafferty to succeed, he had a good season at Hearts and could be a very useful addition to our squad. But to pretend he doesn't have potential to self-destruct again, to attract the wrong kind of publicity and create issues around the club is naive. 

There's lots we can criticise BBC Scotland about, I'm not convinced this article is one of them. 

For the second week in a row I jumped in the car and switched the radio on within a few minutes of the game finishing and got absolutely no discussion of our game. On a big european night like that you'd expect a bit of analysis and discussion after such a big win but absolutely nothing they were just chatting away about Ayr United.

Edited by DMAA

And yet again we get a pathetic match report (465 words long). Maybe we should be thankful, after all this is the longest match report we've had from our European run so far.

But once more it's dwarfed by Celtic's match report (750 words), with endless discussion and analysis of their stumbling towards the group stages having got the easier draw possible.

Isn't it time the BBC came clean and admitted their relationship with Rangers has changed far beyond simply not sending reporters to the stadium?

Driving to the game, listening to BBC Radio Scotland's live commentary of ra Sellik in Lithuania. It's the usual team taking their slices of the Beeb economic pie. Dandy Dons Big Dick presenting and Liam McLeod commentating. Tom English, Pat Bonner, Scott McDonald, and Chris McLaughlin all screaming, 'Hail Hail'! Assurances regularly offered by Big Dick that PQ will provide live commentary of all ra Sellik's Europa League matches, should they qualify. It's a nice little earner, qualification guarantees at least fourteen matches. Yahoos and Rangers haters need only apply for the gig, flashing the necessary credentials will be required.

Of course, the Beeb mantra remains, 'Sellik are carrying the standard for Scotland in Europe'. Two Irishmen and an Australian telling us so, lends the mantra a different degree of authenticity. License fee paying Rangers supporters are confined to occasional coverage of events at Ibrox. I have a tiny digital radio, and on the stroke of half-time, I switched it on. Big Dick gave me the half-time score and named the scorer of our goal, then said, "and now we go over to that promised interview with Johnny Russell, currently playing in the MLS". An inane, turgid fifteen minutes conducted by Chick Young and an inarticulate Russell.

Leaving the game, the occasional coverage of Ibrox events gig starred Steven Thompson and his EBT. Three-four minutes later, we were on to the more comfortable ground of Big Dick, Chick Young, Tom English, and Steven Thompson talking to Ayr United manager, Ian McCall. He thinks Lawrence Shankland could easily fit into Gerrard's Rangers system, there were no takers to extrapolate on that thought. Big Dick wanted to know his preparations for Saturday's game against the Pars? The final minute was spent summarising events in Lithuania and our score and scorer was repeated, then Big Dick handed over to the Quay Sessions.

You know, I suspect if ra Sellik failed to make the group stages(highly unlikely) and Rangers succeeded, PQ would deem the Scottish standard too heavy for Bears. Still, being across events at Ibrox will provide opportunities for exposure to the managers of Edinburgh City and the Spartans. Nothing to hear here for license fee paying Rangers supporters.

I've alluded to this before, so, apologies in advance for the repetition.

The questions for me remain.

How are PQ allowed to adopt and more importantly, maintain the editorial line/stance that they currently take?

Who has their back? Are they directed from London? Or has Ken McQuarrie's empire building been rubber stamped from upon high, allowed to propagate by design, furthered by his acolytes like Donalda Mackinnon and afforded serious amounts of autonomous latitude in return for something else?

Given the accusations of bias by BBC Scotland against 'Yessers' and promoting the status quo in terms of UK statehood, do the powerbrokers in London take the view that any mechanism (however seemingly trivial to the casual onlooker) that can be deployed to present an air of impartiality is acceptable?

Is PQ a law unto itself?

Was the BBC as a whole infiltrated by a socio-political sub strata twenty or so years ago and we are now in the midst of the ramifications of that with the hijacking of an organisational agenda?

Or is it the case that as an organisation the corporation is struggling to come to terms with representing a changing Britain of many disparate viewpoints and we as a support and licence paying demographic are just unlucky in 'getting the shitty end of the stick'?

You could be forgiven for thinking that the BBC is, as someone once famously said, 'a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma...'.

Edited by Soulsonic5791

The day will come when Rangers are winning titles again and are the sole Scottish club in Europe. Only then will the BBC game be clear to everyone who's not connected with Rangers. Until then, we watch and keep our own counsel.

Edited by Bill

12 minutes ago, Bill said:

The day will come when Rangers are winning titles again and are the sole Scottish club in Europe. Only then will the BBC game be clear to everyone who's not connected with Rangers. Until then, we watch and keep our own counsel.

Agreed. Talking of winning titles...I tuned into SSB the other night as I was doing my domestics. There must have been 3/4 Celtic fans on whining about their favourite subject...Rangers. The tone aimed at the panellists (not sure who) was one of "how dare you suggest that Rangers have improved". Let's face it most Gers fans would admit,  we haven't done anything yet but show progress from the mire that we had fallen into over the last few years. We have drawn one and won one in the SPL, we have shown good progress in the early stages of Europe, we overcame a tricky away tie in the cup. Ultimately we haven't won anything but have shown improvement in all areas. Surely the followers of the "ra Double Treble" champs are not remotely bothered by our steady start? Apparently not...It just made think, what the hell is the place going to be like when we eventually win the league? (it will happen). It will be a sight to behold

Just listened to yesterday's Sportsound podcast. Since we had a 3-3 draw with lots of talking points we amazingly almost got as much airtime as Celtic after their bore 1-0 win over Hamilton (23min vs 27min). I'm not sure what it would take to get more time than them, maybe if both of us were beaten 5-0 there would be more incentive to talk about our game?

Richard Gordon and James McFadden started it off on high talking up Motherwell and how they dominated long spells and how Rangers still haven't fixed their defence. Lee McCulloch then pulled them back to reality and gave a much more measured analysis of the game, saying Rangers were by far the better team over the 90 minutes but did struggle at set plays despite doing so well with them all season.

Oh and James McFadden "fancies Dembele & Griffiths to cause our defence lots of problems" in a week's time. They haven't scored a single goal  between them in the league after 3 games or in the last 5 European ties against average to shockingly poor opposition of course, but what does that matter when our defence is so leaky?

On 24/08/2018 at 11:03, Soulsonic5791 said:

I've alluded to this before, so, apologies in advance for the repetition.

The questions for me remain.

How are PQ allowed to adopt and more importantly, maintain the editorial line/stance that they currently take?

Who has their back? Are they directed from London? Or has Ken McQuarrie's empire building been rubber stamped from upon high, allowed to propagate by design, furthered by his acolytes like Donalda Mackinnon and afforded serious amounts of autonomous latitude in return for something else?

Given the accusations of bias by BBC Scotland against 'Yessers' and promoting the status quo in terms of UK statehood, do the powerbrokers in London take the view that any mechanism (however seemingly trivial to the casual onlooker) that can be deployed to present an air of impartiality is acceptable?

Is PQ a law unto itself?

Was the BBC as a whole infiltrated by a socio-political sub strata twenty or so years ago and we are now in the midst of the ramifications of that with the hijacking of an organisational agenda?

Or is it the case that as an organisation the corporation is struggling to come to terms with representing a changing Britain of many disparate viewpoints and we as a support and licence paying demographic are just unlucky in 'getting the shitty end of the stick'?

You could be forgiven for thinking that the BBC is, as someone once famously said, 'a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma...'.

The reason BBCPQ  does what it does regards Rangers is because it’s licence-fee funded. Remove this outdated means of funding it & you’ll see a totally different broadcaster.

And it won’t employ the pondlife it currently does