Pacific Quay Musings?

19 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

There was an interesting interlude at half time around Naismith being booed for, and I paraphrase "the crime of putting his family and his career first" as Richard Gordon put it. Now, I don't hold any antipathy towards Naismith and don't blame him for leaving, but if Gordon doesn't realise he's booed for his comments following his departure rather than the departure itself then he's really not doing his job very well. Considering how much time they spend talking about Rangers you'd think they might invite someone on who understands us. Of course no other club's supporters have ever booed an ex-player when they've returned to play them. Ever. 

Confession time. In a previous life I knew Annie McGuire, she was actually all right.  

He was booed because he betrayed the club and fans he supported and who had payed for the relative wealth his family enjoys. Unlike Rangers players who are booed at Pittodrie and other grounds whilst representing their country. 

I used to think Richard Gordon was OK but in the last couple of years he has definitely been on a mission and been using a public broadcasting service for a personal agenda. He should join Radio Clyde if that’s the game he wants to play. He is not fit for purpose as a BBC employee. 

2 minutes ago, Walterbear said:

He was booed because he betrayed the club and fans he supported and who had payed for the relative wealth his family enjoys. Unlike Rangers players who are booed at Pittodrie and other grounds whilst representing their country. 

I used to think Richard Gordon was OK but in the last couple of years he has definitely been on a mission and been using a public broadcasting service for a personal agenda. He should join Radio Clyde if that’s the game he wants to play. He is not fit for purpose as a BBC employee. 

Very much so. 

The state broadcaster doesn't even bother about a veneer these days.

Not to mention Gordon Waddell crossing a line of sorts yesterday.

Remember Charlie Mann?

Go back fifteen to twenty years and Charlie was one of Auntie Beeb's main attack dogs. As a St Johnstone fan, his target was always almost Rangers and Rangers supporters. Then, he left BBC Scotland and pitched up as Vladimir Romanov's PR Guru. Whenever the former Soviet submariner raised his periscope, Charlie was already in situ', polluting the waters. Defending the indefensible on Vladimir's behalf was Charlie's forte, even riding the torpedoes launched by his boss, aimed at footballing authorities and former journalistic colleagues. Right up to the last penny of Hearts reported £26 million of debt, Charlie loved his remuneration more than the truth.

Romanov remains hidden from view in the Mariana Trench, wanted by a host of authorities; but Charlie doesn't talk about his time at Hearts. These last three seasons, Charlie is confined to the Angus/Fife beat, reporting from Glebe Park, Starks Park, and East End Park.  It's a bit like Jum Spence, does a season's worth of consultancy on behalf of Arab Chairman, Stephen Thompson and returns to Auntie Beeb at Donalda MacKinnon's insistence and hides at Station Park. He doesn't talk about Dundee United; well, no one asks him? I imagine both Charlie and Jum are protected by fag packet shaped disclaimers? Of course, signed by both for further remuneration. Why were BBC Scotland so anxious and so quick to bring those two back?

Anyways, it appears Charlie is Joe the Toff again; he is the Scottish Labour Party's newly appointed Head of Communications. I wonder if Donalda would have Jim Traynor back?  

1 hour ago, 26th of foot said:

Why were BBC Scotland so anxious and so quick to bring those two back?

I know it's a rhetorical question but I'm going to answer it anyway - their mutual dislike (I'm being polite when i say dislike) of a certain Scottish footballing institution by any chance? 

That single attribute opens many doors at BBC Scotland and would appear to allow many to bypass the seemingly normal requirement for employment of actual talent / skill / impartiality.

Edited by DevilBlue WeeThe

On 23/04/2018 at 15:41, Walterbear said:

ge'is peace.....he bailed to get the best deal he could. He is a professional footballer just like shagger. do we really think any money Greene would make from punting  him wouldn't have gone through the revolving door of  executives........

1 hour ago, colinstein said:

ge'is peace.....he bailed to get the best deal he could. He is a professional footballer just like shagger. do we really think any money Greene would make from punting  him wouldn't have gone through the revolving door of  executives........

Sober up. 

12 minutes ago, boabie said:

Not the BBC but the rhecord this time ----  "Clarke knocked back the chance to become Rangers manager."

Clarke has just said he received NO approach from our club.

I think you must be looking for the 'Anderston Quay' thread :whistle:

At least that is where the DR/SM building used to be. As a young lad on the way to Ibrox, I'd see the DR/SM building from the supporters bus window. Believe it or not, I thought it a semi-interesting place given that at the time, I read so many 'exclusives' on Rangers that came from this building. 

Back to Clarke 'refusal' and apparent contradiction

Nothing to see, perhaps there was a 3rd party approach and SC is playing a straight bat, perhaps there wasn't.

How big are the studios at PQ? On Saturday evening, we had Tam Cowan and Michael Grant taking up space, then the Beeb techies managed to cram Billy("I no longer consider myself to be a Rangers Supporter")Dodds, his EBT, and DrStu' and all his principles. We must wonder how one studio can accommodate such a crush? Stevie G was the common currency, why would he consider joining Rangers? DrStu' was of the opinion that Rangers had season tickets to sell. Both Tam and Michael Grant were quick to point out that Rangers have had no problem in selling season tickets these last several years. DrStu' changed tact, mumbling about silent protests and his concern over Rangers supporters being taken for fools by the Board. Further, Rangers might be about to hit a wall on selling tickets. Dandy Don, Michael Grant reminded DrStu' that Rangers shifted 43,000 season tickets for this season. At least DrStu' is consistent, remember he knows three Rangers supporters who were season ticket holders, never missed a game, who don't attend anymore because Rangers are not the same club. Further, DrStu's predicted five years past that Rangers would be playing in front of an average crowd of 8,000 supporters at Ibrox when they eventually reach the Premiership.

DrStu's sits extremely comfortably with a full range of preferred prejudice. His uber nationalism is another weight that drags him down, which is awkward because he continually wants to be seen standing up for Scotland. It's a relief to Beeb techies, they can alleviate space concerns in the studio by removing DrStu's chair. Tam is caught in a wave of nostalgia, he used to have a show on TV and tells a warming story of former England and Liverpool skipper, Emlyn Hughes. Apparently, Emlyn was a wonderful guest and walked out of Beeb Scotland into a waiting cab, taking him home to Sheffield. After a four hour journey late at night, his concern for the cabbie extended to putting the driver up for the night at his home. DrStu' hoped the driver tanned Emlyn's house, before leaving next morning. Tam inquired why DrStu' dislikes guys like Emlyn? DrStu' says, "Ah felt he betrayed Wales".

Hughes was born in Barrow, he played for Blackpool, Liverpool, Wolves, and England. He managed Rotherham. All, in a period where international rules were quite clear, you played for the ntry where you were born. Joe Baker was an outstanding forward for Hibs and Torino. His several international caps for England occurred because he was born in England due to his father serving as a soldier. I know DrStu' takes a keen interest in the Warren Cummings test. Thus, Emlyn Hughes had an English accent and Joe Baker a Scot's one. Betrayal is such a strong word.

DrStu' enjoys researching facts for his trilogy of soul tomes. His writings on Northern Soul included a line, 'the scene was focused on northern English seaside towns including Scarborough, Southport, Blackpool, Prestatyn, and Rhyl'. He picked up a prize for his writings last week in south Wales. I wonder if anyone informed DrStu' that Prestatyn and Rhyl are located in north Wales? Sounds like a betrayal; however, I am sure DrStu will be researching the accents of folks in both these towns?