Pacific Quay Musings?

3 minutes ago, 26th of foot said:

BBC Scotland provides a broadcasting service.

I pay my license fee, I am deserving of said service.

Broadcasting service is taking it a bit far 

17 hours ago, 26th of foot said:

I remember when Jim Traynor was still broadcasting at BBC Scotland, it was a Saturday evening and Chris McLaughlin had defended a Neil Lennon indefensible. Traynor let him say his piece, then countered, "we should be aware that Chris McLaughlin is a shill for Celtic football club".

Poor Jim. I can picture him sitting at Central Quay, Queen Margaret Dr and Pacific Quay trying his very best to keep his Poker face on when all around him he saw people who either spouted vitriolic venom willingly or those who should've known better and sold out to their agenda driven bosses. He must've been close to a nervous breakdown but instead galvanised himself to forgo toeing the red-top party line and start a PR company. I could be wrong here but I'd imagine he politely told Trinity Mirror and BBC Scotland to stick it up their Ronson.

He doesn't like Mclaughlin. And let's face it, what's to like. Calling him a shill was the right thing to do and I only wish there were people financially secure enough and intellectually wide enough in PQ to do the same to other haters who pollute our airwaves.

I saw him doing his shopping one day and I wanted to stop him to ask him a few questions but thought better of accosting a member of the public going about his business.

I'd love to know what he privately thinks of Tedermeatballs...

4 minutes ago, Soulsonic5791 said:

Poor Jim. I can picture him sitting at Central Quay, Queen Margaret Dr and Pacific Quay trying his very best to keep his Poker face on when all around him he saw people who either spouted vitriolic venom willingly or those who should've known better and sold out to their agenda driven bosses. He must've been close to a nervous breakdown but instead galvanised himself to forgo toeing the red-top party line and start a PR company. I could be wrong here but I'd imagine he politely told Trinity Mirror and BBC Scotland to stick it up their Ronson.

He doesn't like Mclaughlin. And let's face it, what's to like. Calling him a shill was the right thing to do and I only wish there were people financially secure enough and intellectually wide enough in PQ to do the same to other haters who pollute our airwaves.

I saw him doing his shopping one day and I wanted to stop him to ask him a few questions but thought better of accosting a member of the public going about his business.

I'd love to know what he privately thinks of Tedermeatballs...

I wouldn't trust any journalist or ex-journalist/PR man who hasn't learnt his new trade yet or believe that real solutions would emerge from them. They are in it for the money and will bend and alter positions accordingly.

It comes down to the support getting their act together and channelling efforts properly as per the other thread on the Gersnet article (fan power).

2 minutes ago, buster. said:

I wouldn't trust any journalist or ex-journalist/PR man who hasn't learnt his new trade yet or believe that real solutions would emerge from them. They are in it for the money and will bend and alter positions accordingly.

It comes down to the support getting their act together and channelling efforts properly as per the other thread on the Gersnet article (fan power).

Fair enough. But I disagree to an extent. You need people on the inside as well as the outside. The problem is that power has shifted in the media and we are left with the shitty end of the stick.

Stevie Thompson for one will be dying to call out some of the crap on Sportsound but can't because he has a young family to look after.

I can guarantee one thing, you won't change the current bias by trying to gain a foothold in the existing media organisations. The bias against Rangers is universal and locked in, all dissent has been purged and acquiescence is a tacit condition of employment. The only way to get our voice out there will be to use social media and/or to set up new media outlets - but well above the scale of anything that exists today. This should be one of the key priorities of Club1872.

4 minutes ago, Soulsonic5791 said:

Fair enough. But I disagree to an extent. You need people on the inside as well as the outside. The problem is that power has shifted in the media and we are left with the shitty end of the stick.

Stevie Thompson for one will be dying to call out some of the crap on Sportsound but can't because he has a young family to look after.

I doubt 'solutions' wrt BBC Scotland will come without involving BBC UK and hard collated evidence.

I said back when Club1872 started up that in time a 'CQN*' type offshoot might eventually emerge, do some of the particular spadework and deal with the PR aspect.

* CQN is a celtic supporters group that have unofficial communications with the club and are relatively quite effective at setting/controlling naratives on certain issues.

10 minutes ago, Bill said:

I can guarantee one thing, you won't change the current bias by trying to gain a foothold in the existing media organisations. The bias against Rangers is universal and locked in, all dissent has been purged and acquiescence is a tacit condition of employment. The only way to get our voice out there will be to use social media and/or to set up new media outlets - but well above the scale of anything that exists today. This should be one of the key priorities of Club1872.

Disagree - it's not about gaining a foothold Bill. It is about power and who exercises it. Turn the situation on its head. The BBC used to be viewed by the other ticket as biased in our favour. Did that deter them from trying to infiltrate and use various political agendas to their benefit in order to chip away and eventually assume a large degree of power? No. Look at BBC network sport in London for instance. That was viewed as a Liverpool biased outlet up until fairly recently. Did that stop Mancs joining the organisation? No. All it took was a DG who was educated in the Manchester region to gain power, use political agenda to his advantage and lo and behold BBC Sport is moved wholesale to Media City in Salford.

I don't think that you can close yourself off in the way that you suggest. I can understand why you think in the way that you do though but I think it is ultimately self-defeating. Nature abhors a vacuum. We must make sure that the vacuum isn't exclusively filled by them and their cohorts.