Pacific Quay Musings?

Before the game Richard Gordon swept aside any question that Aberdeen may not be better than Rangers despite noting they had lost all 3 previous games between the clubs this season. The argument was that Aberdeen were clearly better because they were more consistent against the others, mainly the lower clubs. I get that but the summary dismissal of the record between the clubs and the fact there is only one point between them was of no consequence in the debate. They of course didn’t reference the catalogue of outrageous decisions which have cost Rangers points but that is my naivety to expect impartial observation.  We also had the usual debate on budgets and the almost sneering observations of Rangers and glorification of McInnes’s Aberdeen because Rangers have a bigger budget (no reference to the fact we sell 43k season tickets and regularly fill our stadium therefore maybe our fans deserve a bigger budget for players). I honestly think they have gone so far now and are so immersed in their narrative of dislike for Rangers that they don’t even know they are doing it. 

After 90 minutes of another encounter between the clubs Aberdeen clearly demonstrated that they are not better and only got a point and stayed ahead in the league due to another appalling refereeing performance.  Their chief football correspondent thought it was a penalty. 

The irony is that most people at Rangers (despite the obvious lack of quality) are probably doing their jobs better than BBC Scotland’s sports reporters. I shudder to think what salaries they are on and what level of decay in the BBC permits those circumstances. 

Edited by Walterbear

4 hours ago, Frankie said:

Rob MacLean's morning sports bulletin report for BBC Good Morning Scotland just said it was a penalty as well.  Laughable.

Moreso, given their own video highlights (featuring the much more professional Paul Mitchell) said the decision was poor.

IIRC when Ross County got awarded a more than dubious penalty against Celtic BBC Scotland gave the 'outrage' wall to wall coverage for days and put a seperate video up online for the world to view at their leisure.

An incident that COULD cost us European football isn't worth talking about, for the likes of McLaughlin, it didn't even happen.

Edited by buster.

Alchemy at Pacific Quay.

Turning base metal into gold was a favoured pastime in days of yore. Actually, the shysters that made such claims were liars that attempted to hoodwink folks who clung to a gossamer thread of hope. Blackadder portrayed it best when Sir Percy's attempt at alchemy produced blobs of the purest green. Last night at the hill of dung, Auntie Beeb had a turd in it's collective hands. Unequivocal views had been expressed on the merits of the penalty awarded to Aberdeen by Referee, McLean. It was of the stonewall variety, Objective host, Big Dick and commentator, Rob MacLean had stopped cheering to inform the listenership. No sooner had both returned their Dandy Dons scarves to their brass necks, when accusations of fools gold were being leveled. As the teams entered the field for the second half, Big Dick uttered, "apparently, Sky and others are disputing the penalty".

Indeed they did; Andy Walker, James McFadden, and Kris Commons all agreed, no penalty. At the end of the game, PQ had forty-five minutes to set the record straight. They talked about every aspect of the match, but refused to mention the word, 'penalty'. The online match report by Chris McLaughlin remained most clear, a definite penalty. We would just have to wait for tomorrow's BBC Scotland highlights package. Tomorrow came and all three bottom six match highlights were up, they were shown on BBC lunchtime news, and repeated on the evening news.

No highlights of Aberdeen/Rangers appeared.

There was a problem, the print media had published morning editions and they backed all three Yahoos on Sky, no penalty. There was a commentator problem, the usual coterie of commentators, the afore mentioned two, Liam McLeod, and Jonathon Sutherland, are all Dandy Dons, and none were available to over dub the subjective pysh already in the can. However, the most objective jolly Jambo, Paul Mitchell was available and he talked about Morelos getting the first touch and the direction of the ball. Chris changed his online report to include, "disputed". Highlights are now available.

Again, when it comes to Rangers, the select few reject objective appreciation. They decide what they want it to be, what they need it to be, reject the evidence of their own eyes, and deny the correct conclusion. They make the component parts fit their preferred conclusion. 

12 hours ago, buster. said:

From the Aberdeen 1-1 Rangers game where Aberdeens goal came from a penalty that wasn't.

What the match reports said

------------------

First Chris McLaughlin of BBC Scotland 

On a rare foray forward, McLean was caught late inside the box by Morelos and referee Steven McLean pointed to the spot instantly.

--------------

Now the rest, who would seem to have been at a different match

The Scotsman

Morelos made what referee McLean considered a more telling touch in the other penalty area nine minutes later to concede the penalty which brought Aberdeen’s performance to life. It was certainly a highly debatable decision as the striker appeared to get a toe on the ball when challenging Kenny McLean as Rangers struggled to clear a corner. Once the protests of the visitors had subsided, McLean stepped up and confidently sent Jak Alnwick the wrong way from the spot.

----------------

Daily Record

McInnes’s side forced a couple of quick corners, the first came to nothing but the second was knocked short in to McLean and he ended up on the deck after going for the ball along with Morelos.

Ref Steven McLean pointed to the spot and while Gers were furious, namesake Kenny kept his head to fire the Dons in front.

-------------------

Sky Sports (very short report)

Kenny McLean - leaving for Norwich in the summer - converted a controversial early penalty (14) to set the hosts on course for a victory that would have secured European football for a fifth successive season, as well as ensuring they would finish above Rangers for the fourth time in a row.

-----------------

BT Sports

The Dons took the lead after 14 minutes – and they had referee Steven McLean to thank.

Alfredo Morelos clearly got a touch to the ball as he tried to nick in before McLean collected Ryan Christie’s low corner.

But the official got his decision all wrong as his namesake hit the deck, pointing to the spot without hesitation.

-------------- 

The Scottish Sun

The penalty he awarded the Dons after 14 minutes was hugely controversial.

When Alfredo Morelos and Kenny McLean – no relation – came together inside the box there was one big question the ref had to answer.

Who got to the ball first?

At first look it seemed that the Aberdeen midfielder had managed to nick a touch on it before being clattered a nano-second later by the Colombian.

Which in all fairness explained the official’s decision to point to the spot.

But the more closely TV replays were studied, the more questionable it got with Morelos every right to claim he was hard done by.

As per the 26th of Foot post above, McLaughlin/BBC Scotland have updated their line on the penalty and it now reads.....

Dons goalkeeper Joe Lewis had already blocked well from Alfredo Morelos before the striker conceded a penalty for a challenge on Kenny McLean.

McLean dispatched the disputed spot-kick and struck the crossbar as the Dons dominated the rest of the half.

----------------------

Why did the Chief football reporter, Chris McLaughlin not do what every other outlet did the first time around and edit a match report the day after the game ?

Do reporters tend to make such omissions ? No, it was a concious decision that has been seen to be too obvious even for BBC Scotland and they've decided to edit it to cover their erses.

Edited by buster.

Reference BBC Radio Scotland on Saturday.

I tuned in to hear objective host of the show Big Dick Gordon telling us breathlessly that Tom English had, 'a sit down interview' with Yahoo skipper, Scot Brown. Five minutes it took to preview the three Premiership bottom half games, the various play-off matches, and a current up date on Cowdenbeath versus Cove Rangers. Then, "over to Tom and fascinating insight into Scot Brown and how Brendan has reinvigorated him".

Tom begins with the number of POTY awards picked up by Brown, despite not scoring a goal all season. In fact, Tom informs the audience that Scot has failed to notch in 72 matches. Giggles all round and Tom serves up an absolute dolly, "it appears this season that opposition players are deliberately out to maim you"? Broony replies, "Aye, ......................................................".

A first for me ensued, I turned off my radio.

Consider, last season with a double header coming up against Rangers. The Broonaldo is on a clear revenge mission against Ross County's Liam Boyce, he challenges from the side, right leg fully extended off the ground, a flat of the boot connection on the standing leg of an unsuspecting Boyce. A red card every day of the week, twice on Sunday. There are no dissenting voices, it's deserved, and wholly legitimate. There is an exception, Brenda announces his intention to appeal a decision accepted by the player. The Compliant Officer obliges and the red is reduced to a yellow. Truly, this was Tom English's Jim White moment, 'deliberately out to maim you', indeed?

Beeb Scotland don't do satire anymore, they love the Establishment club.

Sportscene's highlights package is difficult; there are less than five minutes to cram in ten goals, a red card, two penalty claims, and Lennon's end of match actions. They show Whittaker's deliberate hand to ball, but do NOT discuss it, and marvel at Neil's aeroplane impersonation; Dandy Don Jonathon Sutherland introduces, "like Neil Lennon, we're all flying". The montage at the end of the prog' is Hibs fifth, Neil flying in front of the Bears, Consedine's goal, and the Broon lifting the trophy.

In so many aspects, we are UNLUCKY!

22 hours ago, 26th of foot said:

Reference BBC Radio Scotland on Saturday.

I tuned in to hear objective host of the show Big Dick Gordon telling us breathlessly that Tom English had, 'a sit down interview' with Yahoo skipper, Scot Brown. Five minutes it took to preview the three Premiership bottom half games, the various play-off matches, and a current up date on Cowdenbeath versus Cove Rangers. Then, "over to Tom and fascinating insight into Scot Brown and how Brendan has reinvigorated him".

Tom begins with the number of POTY awards picked up by Brown, despite not scoring a goal all season. In fact, Tom informs the audience that Scot has failed to notch in 72 matches. Giggles all round and Tom serves up an absolute dolly, "it appears this season that opposition players are deliberately out to maim you"? Broony replies, "Aye, ......................................................".

A first for me ensued, I turned off my radio.

Consider, last season with a double header coming up against Rangers. The Broonaldo is on a clear revenge mission against Ross County's Liam Boyce, he challenges from the side, right leg fully extended off the ground, a flat of the boot connection on the standing leg of an unsuspecting Boyce. A red card every day of the week, twice on Sunday. There are no dissenting voices, it's deserved, and wholly legitimate. There is an exception, Brenda announces his intention to appeal a decision accepted by the player. The Compliant Officer obliges and the red is reduced to a yellow. Truly, this was Tom English's Jim White moment, 'deliberately out to maim you', indeed?

Beeb Scotland don't do satire anymore, they love the Establishment club.

Sportscene's highlights package is difficult; there are less than five minutes to cram in ten goals, a red card, two penalty claims, and Lennon's end of match actions. They show Whittaker's deliberate hand to ball, but do NOT discuss it, and marvel at Neil's aeroplane impersonation; Dandy Don Jonathon Sutherland introduces, "like Neil Lennon, we're all flying". The montage at the end of the prog' is Hibs fifth, Neil flying in front of the Bears, Consedine's goal, and the Broon lifting the trophy.

In so many aspects, we are UNLUCKY!

You've done a great job my friend.  You've consistently pointed out the extreme bias that goes on at PQ.  It's so obvious these days that they just don't care how obvious it is.

I am glad for your own sanity that you turned it off.  Next season, just leave it off.  You're correct in saying that you (we) deserve a decent service but we won't - not for a while yet.

I know many of us just think about how sweet 55 will be.  These morons will be left out in the cold while Stevie G starts the Rangers revolution.  And when we take the league (which we will at some point in the not on distant future), I'll enjoy not hearing or seeing any of them.

• 1 month later...

plus ca change?

Yesterday, driving back to the comforts of deepest, darkest Lanarkshire, and switch on the radio. It's Cosgrove salivating over Aberdeen's Europa Cup draw, Burnley. Aberdeen have a wonderful European history, who are Burnley? They finished seventh in THAT league, that qualifies them for Europe, how's that fair? Here's me thinking that DrStu' was all for achieving on merit. 

A show in it's twenty-fourth year, Cosgrove in his sixty-seventh year, and the knowledge of all Scottish football does not progress beyond personal prejudice. On Scottish teams' draw in the Europa Cup; Tam Cowan thinks they are quite tasty and asks DrStu', "who did Rangers draw"? A confident pensioner replies, "Alashkert". There's a silence before Tam offers, "naw, that was Celtic" in the champions league"!

Not missing a beat, DrStu' rambles on about knowing nothing about Macedonian football, but if they've finished third in their league, "they'll be tasty". Further, knowing knowing nothing about Croatian football, the next mob must have finished third or fourth in their league and look what Croatia did to Argentina last night, "again, that's tasty". No need to draw breath, DrStu' flags up a Burnley fan disappointed in drawing Aberdeen because it's not exciting ...................... You know if your club has not participated in European football in over forty years, I think you are allowed to bemoan being sent to the hill'o'dung?

Anyways, I read Cosgrove's take on the tragedy of southern soul whilst driving across the neck of Spain. As a license paying Rangers supporter, "how about a little respect when I get home"?

I was thinking that Off the Ball might have touched on the SG/football/alcohol point that another BBC Scotland programme tweeted about but it seems as though even Cosgrove knew that was an angle that was built on one-eyed hypocritical sand.