Club 1872 reach halfway stage of £1million target for Rangers share issue

44 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

I wonder why so few others have signed up.  I can't imagine it's the cost because it can be for as little or as much as you want.  I don't believe any bear doesn't want it to happen.  The only conclusion I have then is that it's too much hassle to set it up.  Maybe Club 1872 needs to make that part of the campaign .... I.e. How easy it is to make payment.

Anyone else have any thoughts on why it's not working as well as I think should be?

its simple mate , the vast majority of our fans want someone else to do it for them , its apathy of the highest order and its been that way for years 

Spot on BD, those 4 points are right on the money. Of those, I would put your point 3 as the least important but the other 3 are very vaild and what I hear coming back all the time when discussing this. 

Even in the spivvy days, apathy was everywhere. The "I am only interested in going to see the Rangers" band is a large band. They dont care who owns us, runs us, finances us, as long as they can renew their ST and go to Ibrox and watch us play. 

The lack of trust in C1872 is a huge point also. Many see C1872 as being the club's baby to get rid of RF & RST. This was tried unsuccessfully before with the Assembly but this time it is working better because of the RF share purchase model. The fact the Rangers Secretary is an influential Director is a major hurdle. Also, C1872 does not ever criticise the club, or get involved enough in backing the fans, or taking to task our enemies. That is what the majority of fans want from a supporters body, and why RST was initially very successful.

The share purchase model is of course also a very important one. For those fans who want to say they own a wee part of the club, C1872 is not the option for them, as you rightly point out you have no claim to anything back from the money a member puts in. It is not too difficult to see why this is not such an attractive proposition for those who are considering it.

Edited by Tannochsidebear

I will p

4 minutes ago, MacK1950 said:

I am not apathetic to this but as a pensioner money has to be carefully utilised and I do not have much disposable cash.

I am not a pensioner but in such a boat that i don't want to tie monthly payments around my neck. I probably will make a one off payment though. The other point I would make is if we need money to finance this then why are they considering paying for a standing area at this time. That is ridiculous in my eyes. Even I have to pick priorities and the club was set up for shares and that should be their priority. 

If people cannot commit financially to it, I fully accept that.  I don't know any of the Club 1872 directors and the only politics I know about are the points I learn on here, but I'm assuming they are all Rangers fans so I'd hope that even if I disagree with their methods, I expect us all to have the same objective.  This is at least what I did believe, but as Pete says, I don't like us wasting money on a standing section.  That's got to be a commercial decision for the club to make, not Club 1872.  It annoys me that the objective of Club 1872 is diluted by using the money for anything other than buying shares.  Having said that, my ideal option doesn't exist so this is the least worst option and hence why I pay the money.

1 hour ago, Bluedell said:

There are a number of reasons:

1.  Apathy, as rbr says. This covers both those who want someone else to do it and those who don't care about fan ownership in the slightest.

2.  The share purchase model - it's basically giving away money. People may be willing to buy shares that they then own but with C1872, they don't have any sort of ownership, and many cases, if you stop putting cash in, you cease to be a member.

3.  Economics - many have financial issues, and other priorities of how to use their cash.

4.  Lack of trust - the running of C1872 has hardly been smooth over the past while.

I've made various contributions to the Rangers cause over the last six years, including buying shares that will never recover their value and donating quite a large sum to the RFFF that someone decided should instead be used to build a facility at Auchenhowie. I even allowed the voting rights of those shares to be used collectively by Vanguardbears on a case by case basis. However, I made a conscious decision not to take part in the RF campaign on a regular basis because over the years I had largely lost faith in the ability of supporters' organisation to deliver on their promises - largely due to the antics of the entirely mis-named Supporters Trust. While I continue to back the notion of supporter participation and would like nothing more than to see more shares in the hands of supporters, nothing I've seen in C1872 has changed my mind.

I would be delighted to buy more shares in any future share issue, so long as it was my money buying my shares at my risk and under my control. However, like many other like-minded fans, the board won't afford me that option and I refuse to be railroaded into using my cash to buy shares that someone else will own and have decision-making rights over.

It's a bit rich to see aspersions cast on non-participants after the conduct displayed by supporters' organisations over the years. It's not apathy, some of us just have long memories. If C1872 is for you then good luck with it but please leave it at that.

42 minutes ago, Bill said:

I've made various contributions to the Rangers cause over the last six years, including buying shares that will never recover their value and donating quite a large sum to the RFFF that someone decided should instead be used to build a facility at Auchenhowie. I even allowed the voting rights of those shares to be used collectively by Vanguardbears on a case by case basis. However, I made a conscious decision not to take part in the RF campaign on a regular basis because over the years I had largely lost faith in the ability of supporters' organisation to deliver on their promises - largely due to the antics of the entirely mis-named Supporters Trust. While I continue to back the notion of supporter participation and would like nothing more than to see more shares in the hands of supporters, nothing I've seen in C1872 has changed my mind.

I would be delighted to buy more shares in any future share issue, so long as it was my money buying my shares at my risk and under my control. However, like many other like-minded fans, the board won't afford me that option and I refuse to be railroaded into using my cash to buy shares that someone else will own and have decision-making rights over.

It's a bit rich to see aspersions cast on non-participants after the conduct displayed by supporters' organisations over the years. It's not apathy, some of us just have long memories. If C1872 is for you then good luck with it but please leave it at that.

I don't know about the previous supporters' organisations other than what I pick up on here.  I only decided to be part of Club 1872 because it was the only way I could do something.

For me it's better to do something (even if it's not ideal) than do nothing, but that's easy for me to say because I've not had the issues you've experienced in the past.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Club1872rfc/status/970665972184043520

Club 1872
We’ve just had an incredible £1000 one-off donation from an individual Rangers supporter. Thank you! Help us reach our £1m target by making a one -off donation, joining us or recruiting others. Join here -

10 hours ago, Gaffer said:

I wonder why so few others have signed up.  I can't imagine it's the cost because it can be for as little or as much as you want.  I don't believe any bear doesn't want it to happen.  The only conclusion I have then is that it's too much hassle to set it up.  Maybe Club 1872 needs to make that part of the campaign .... I.e. How easy it is to make payment.

Anyone else have any thoughts on why it's not working as well as I think should be?

The club themselves should make C1872 involvement more high profile in their advertising, Make it clear the club needs the money C1872 spends on Special Projects and  also in the upcoming share issue. At the moment i'm not feeling the love from the club.

Edited by aweebluesoandso