Club 1872 meeting with Dave King

1 hour ago, aweebluesoandso said:

Why not, they have a bunch of fecking seriously dodgy feckers on the board a few years ago, no one batted an eye then.

Which dodgy feckers and are you sure no one batted an eye(lid)?  I remember Follow Follow fanzine moaning a lot about Murray in the 90s, so think some fans have questioned the board for years.

15 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Which dodgy feckers and are you sure no one batted an eye(lid)?  I remember Follow Follow fanzine moaning a lot about Murray in the 90s, so think some fans have questioned the board for years.

Whyte, Green, Ahmed, Somers, Easdale 1, Easdale 2, Llambias,  Stockbridge to mention a few, ok someone somewhere might have  raised an eyebrow, but they all got away with wrecking the club

Any positivity about Whyte and Green (ugh) only lasted a few months into their respective stints.  Ahmed and Llambias were both dodgy gits and I don't think the support afforded either of them the benefit of the doubt for long.  The Easdales always were just placemen for Ashley.  

We got rid of all these chancers within a fairly short space of time, in relative terms.  Of course, the support have to take some responsibility bit we have been limited in what we could do in many instances.

Murray sold our club down the river and should never be forgiven for his part in our troubles.

But this is why we need fan involvement - to ensure things like this don't happen again.  I have Bear pals who think things like Club1872 are a total waste of time and I disagree completely.  How many times do we have to turn a blind eye to nefarious shenanigans in the boardroom before we learn our bloody lesson!?!?

Edited by Gonzo79

We either need some form of fan protection, or we just need people in charge who have the right motives.  The problem we have with the former is that not enough fans are willing/able to contribute to the share purchase so we will always be at the mercy of those with money.

I think the current board have the right intentions.  I'm not they sure they have the wherewithal to succeed in making these intentions a reality though...but time will tell.  

Edited by Gonzo79

50+1 Rule in Germany is a principled approach that has reaped dividends (no pun intended), but it requires a German Football League directive. It's a way of protecting the clubs from misrule, but limits their ability to tap into their commercial potential, outwith a few exceptions.

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/Bundesliga/german-soccer-rules-50-1-fifty-plus-one-explained-466583.jsp

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

Any positivity about Whyte and Green (ugh) only lasted a few months into their respective stints.  Ahmed and Llambias were both dodgy gits and I don't think the support afforded either of them the benefit of the doubt for long.  The Easdales always were just placemen for Ashley.  

We got rid of all these chancers within a fairly short space of time, in relative terms.  Of course, the support have to take some responsibility bit we have been limited in what we could do in many instances.

Murray sold our club down the river and should never be forgiven for his part in our troubles.

But this is why we need fan involvement - to ensure things like this don't happen again.  I have Bear pals who think things like Club1872 are a total waste of time and I disagree completely.  How many times do we have to turn a blind eye to nefarious shenanigans in the boardroom before we learn our bloody lesson!?!?

If the same happened tomorrow, what is it you think C1872 could do about it? My guess is the square root of zip. 

Was going to cite the 50 plus one rule that Rousseau mentions.

To use a McCoistism, let's be brutally frank here, unless there is a chance to make serious profits on the back of investment no wealthy individual is going to invest in a football club. Wealthy benefactors for the most part are an absolute myth. That applies as much at the bottom as it does at the very top of the game. Do people honestly believe that the likes of Ian Maxwell at Partick Thistle are hanging about because of an everlasting love of the Jags? Even with the paltry gates they get some profit must see its way into the owners pockets, however small.

We need to devise a way of safeguarding the club in perpetuity but allow corporate interests (regardless of club affection) a slice of the action. A symbiosis if you will, but one which is weighted slightly in the 'fans'/club's' favour. Removal of the profit motive is counterproductive but it can be harnessed to tempt people/groups/institutions to invest. Most fans would be happy for any profit to be recycled into the club in some form. Whereas your corporate interest would prefer to take dividends to satisfy the needs of individuals or funds etc.

I don't know enough about the exact ins and outs but from the outside looking in, it would appear to me at least, that any momentum a genuine fan ownership vehicle had during the run up to the recent takeover was effectively halted in its tracks when its usefulness to the current incumbents had been exhausted.

5 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

I'll disagree slightly with that one mate.

At that time there were only very few on FF moaning about Murray. I was one of them.