New manager rumours

33 minutes ago, buster. said:

Talking about St.Mirren and managers.

You'd need a young strong willed Alex Ferguson rather than Ross.

IMO Jack Ross would crash and burn under the intense pressure and immediate expectation.

If we want someone who'll turn this around immediately with limited finance, perhaps we aren't being realistic.

My fear is no matter who takes over if we drop any points before we play Celtic - and possibly lose that too - then we are back to square one. 

I also understand the feeling that we need a hardline, old school style manager to give these players a much needed kick up the arse - most likely why names like Warnock are even being talked about. Sadly football isn’t like that anymore (rightly or wrongly), just look at the EPL at the moment your three main teams are managed by ‘modern’ coaches like Jose, Pep and Klopp.

Pep was thrown into the Barca hotseat after one season with Barca B. While I ain’t for one minute suggesting that Jack Ross is the next Pep, I am suggesting that we need to see the bigger picture of where football is right now. Players are pampered, spoiled rich kids and they will throw their toys out the pram at the first sign of bother. 

We need to be clever with our next appointment. 

I still would fancy a Frank de Boer as a name, he has had some success with Ajax and hopefully has something to prove after spells at Inter and Palace but if he didn’t hit the ground running you know the fans will turn. Another expensive mistake. 

Edited by MrGaryValentine

20 minutes ago, MrGaryValentine said:

My fear is no matter who takes over if we drop any points before we play Celtic - and possibly lose that too - then we are back to square one. 

I also understand the feeling that we need a hardline, old school style manager to give these players a much needed kick up the arse - most likely why names like Warnock are even being talked about. Sadly football isn’t like that anymore (rightly or wrongly), just look at the EPL at the moment your three main teams are managed by ‘modern’ coaches like Jose, Pep and Klopp.

Pep was thrown into the Barca hotseat after one season with Barca B. While I ain’t for one minute suggesting that Jack Ross is the next Pep, I am suggesting that we need to see the bigger picture of where football is right now. Players are pampered, spoiled rich kids and they will throw their toys out the pram at the first sign of bother. 

We need to be clever with our next appointment. 

I still would fancy a Frank de Boer as a name, he has had some success with Ajax and hopefully has something to prove after spells at Inter and Palace but if he didn’t hit the ground running you know the fans will turn. Another expensive mistake. 

Rather than just concentrate on names, we need to see the board need to come together and show leadership and honesty wrt the current situation and realistic timescales.

Pressure and football management at Rangers go together like ham and eggs but the scale of pressure that is immediately on top of any new Rangers manager is getting to be of a level that is way out of tune with reality. 

Even the type of manager who could deal with it would need a level of finance that probably isn't there at present.

29 minutes ago, buster. said:

Rather than just concentrate on names, we need to see the board need to come together and show leadership and honesty wrt the current situation and realistic timescales.

Pressure and football management at Rangers go together like ham and eggs but the scale of pressure that is immediately on top of any new Rangers manager is getting to be of a level that is way out of tune with reality. 

Even the type of manager who could deal with it would need a level of finance that probably isn't there at present.

Totally agree mate. Plus your top name manager - I will use de Boer again only as an example - who is most likely a millionaire, has their pick of being a pundit each week to keep his face out there may look at the Rangers job and ask themselves “do I really need the hassle?”

We need someone with experience and gravitas.  A general, a winner and someone who knows the score.

The longer this mess continues, the only answer is Walter Smith. 

Hand me the comfort blanket.

2 minutes ago, Frankie said:

We need someone with experience and gravitas.  A general, a winner and someone who knows the score.

While I hate to say it, short term you are right. He is the only one who would get an instant reaction & instant respect from the players. 

Him with Ross Jack under him being groomed....? LOL

1 minute ago, Frankie said:

A good example of 'the type of manager who could deal with the pressure' BUT ignoring his age/retirement for a moment,......if you told him you'd need to do it on a limited budget then I doubt that he would want the job.

Just now, buster. said:

A good example of 'the type of manager who could deal with the pressure' BUT ignoring his age/retirement for a moment,......if you told him you'd need to do it on a limited budget then I doubt that he would want the job.

My tongue was in cheek as I doubt Walter would want it - budget or not.

However, he's the kind of appointment we need and there's a limited about of people who can fill that brief.

Just now, Frankie said:

My tongue was in cheek as I doubt Walter would want it - budget or not.

However, he's the kind of appointment we need and there's a limited about of people who can fill that brief.

Yes, but the same goes for whatever the specific I.D. of that kind of appointment and even moreso if they have no real previous connection to the club.

At a guess, I think it's heading towards an English Championship level manager who is probably out of work, eg. Steve McLaren or similar.

1 hour ago, Ser Barristan Selmy said:

A young untested rookie from the Scottish lower leagues is the complete opposite of what we should be looking for. If we were a club with a proper infrastructure in place with its own specific brand of football, then we could afford to take risks as the head coach role takes on much less significance. But we are the boom and bust club constantly completely changing their squad and style of play depending on who the manager is, and so we need to get the next one right. We need someone with experience coaching at a high level. 

You mean the bust and bust club.  Been a long time since there has been much "boom" to us.