New manager rumours

Difference with Souness is the club essentially had nothing to lose back then and needed something imaginative to really kick start our fortunes.

Let's not forget Souness was also still playing so his signing was noteworthy on that front alone.

15 hours ago, JohnMc said:

If it's someone already out of work surely they'd just start now? And if for some reason they didn't want too surely their name would have been leaked to quell our growing unrest? 

So it's either someone already in employment elsewhere or someone so underwhelming we'll bin our season ticket renewals. Or both. 

Or we are just not very close to getting anyone.

17 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Difference with Souness is the club essentially had nothing to lose back then and needed something imaginative to really kick start our fortunes.

Let's not forget Souness was also still playing so his signing was noteworthy on that front alone.

I will never forget the day I sat open-mouthed at the UK national BBC evening newscaster, after she read that Graeme Souness had replaced Jock Wallace in a player-manager capacity.

Football didn't often make the national news in those days, never mind anything to do with Scottish football.

Frankie is right. In Souness we were getting a great player and an exceptional personality. Gerrard is no longer a player and though he was a leader on the park I don’t think he will be as strong a character as GS.

Souness also had the advantage of an alumnus from the McLean School of Soccer Management as his assistant.

I wonder how good John Greig would have been if he had started either as an assistant to someone like Jim McLean or as manager lower down the leagues.