New manager rumours

Just now, der Berliner said:

Someone on FF remarked that should Gerrard indeed cut it at Ibrox and Klopp falter at Liverpool in the future, the the latter will probably pay buckets of cash to get Gerrard ...

Over the years, I've seen a few remarks on FF that didn't come to pass.

8 minutes ago, buster. said:

Over the years, I've seen a few remarks on FF that didn't come to pass.

... and over here that didn't happen?

Be that as it may, I simply didn't want to claim that "remark" for myself ... yet am sure that some on here will echo it.

In the final analysis the success or failure of a manager/coach comes down to three principal factors - experience, intellect and personality.

Gerrard clearly has huge experience of the game at all levels and has worked under some top managers. Whether he has the intellect or the personality is beyond my ability to see and very little will be gained from listening to the usual sycophantic media circus. Perhaps someone close to Gerrard might have some insight. Perhaps Dave King might just get lucky.

Every manager is going to be a gamble, even if you get an experienced manager it still might not work out. Don't get me wrong I would have preferred an experienced manager to steady the ship, just not sure who we could have got or afforded, see Ipswich's recent spat with Mick McCarthy and an owner who is trying to implement a plan but an older experienced manager wants more control, maybe that's why we are avoiding making a more experienced appointment.

Gerrard is a guy that has played at the top level of world football, won Champions leagues and captained his country, he commands respect. Just the route we are going down with the DoF in charge of recruitment it is going to be up to the manager to galvanise the team and get them playing, I have no doubt he will be able to do that with this squad, I'm just not sure how tactically astute he is.

13 minutes ago, Dave M609 said:

Every manager is going to be a gamble, even if you get an experienced manager it still might not work out. Don't get me wrong I would have preferred an experienced manager to steady the ship, just not sure who we could have got or afforded, see Ipswich's recent spat with Mick McCarthy and an owner who is trying to implement a plan but an older experienced manager wants more control, maybe that's why we are avoiding making a more experienced appointment.

Gerrard is a guy that has played at the top level of world football, won Champions leagues and captained his country, he commands respect. Just the route we are going down with the DoF in charge of recruitment it is going to be up to the manager to galvanise the team and get them playing, I have no doubt he will be able to do that with this squad, I'm just not sure how tactically astute he is.

I think that's what worries me. There's no evidence whatsoever that he "commands" respect. He receives respect for what he's done as a player but I seriously doubt he has the personality to command anything, let alone Rangers. I hope I'm wrong.

8 minutes ago, Bill said:

I think that's what worries me. There's no evidence whatsoever that he "commands" respect. He receives respect for what he's done as a player but I seriously doubt he has the personality to command anything, let alone Rangers. I hope I'm wrong.

Don't get me wrong Bill, I'm absolutely shiteing myself that this is going to be another disaster, but for a guy that has captained his country and captained Liverpool for however many years he must have something about him. I just hope he was paying attention to his managers because he has worked under a lot of good ones.

1 hour ago, 917 said:

I think a realistic comparison is Neil Lennon. Nobody thought he’d make a good manager, too controversial, poor communication skills etc. Yet his players seem to bust a gut for him & his experience at the top level means he will (should) have picked up a few things.

Sadly using another Celtic analogy, but when they replaced Tommy Burns with Wim Jansen & Jock Brown after we won 9 in a row it was also a huge gamble. Maybe when you’re that far behind (like we were in 1986) then you have to keep taking gambles until one works out. Either that or accept mediocrity. Wouldn’t be my choice, but now I would feel a bit disappointed if he doesn’t get it..

If Neil Lennon was a good manager he'd still be in England. He seems pretty decent by Scottish standards, but that counts for little. 

5 minutes ago, Dave M609 said:

Don't get me wrong Bill, I'm absolutely shiteing myself that this is going to be another disaster, but for a guy that has captained his country and captained Liverpool for however many years he must have something about him. I just hope he was paying attention to his managers because he has worked under a lot of good ones.

Gerrard obviously does have something about him. He was a world class player. This counts for virtually nothing with regards to his coaching ability. 

15 minutes ago, Ser Barristan Selmy said:

If Neil Lennon was a good manager he'd still be in England. He seems pretty decent by Scottish standards, but that counts for little. 

Little things can make huge differences.  Neil Lennon's managerial career,  such as it was,  was saved by a referee giving a foul for a dive at Kilmarnock when they were three down.  He'd been a joke up until that comeback and, contrary to re-written history, it had nothing to do with his managerial input. They had shown no sign of playing any better after halftime and it was that decision that turned the game and allowed them to catch up.  Even then, Killie should have scored in the last minute.  We threw away three points that same weekend, scandalously, and the world then went completely upside down and Evil has stalked the Land e'er since.

Edited by SteveC