New manager rumours

4 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

These managers are working with far higher quality players than we will ever have at Rangers! none of these managers would be successful at Ibrox unless they have cash to improve the quality of player they would require...........................I think?:P

True, but my main point was that they (Germany) have progressive young coaches coming through; we have nothing. It's not come out of nowhere, because they've set up coaching academies.

I also think they have good grounding, and good ideas, that they'd be able to do a job at most clubs. 

Why couldn't we go and get a young German coach? Rodgers has transformed a poor Celtic side, without spending a vast amount on that first team -- although, he has wasted a lot on fringe players. 

We're very close-minded, I think. 

11 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

True, but my main point was that they (Germany) have progressive young coaches coming through; we have nothing. It's not come out of nowhere, because they've set up coaching academies.

I also think they have good grounding, and good ideas, that they'd be able to do a job at most clubs. 

Why couldn't we go and get a young German coach? Rodgers has transformed a poor Celtic side, without spending a vast amount on that first team -- although, he has wasted a lot on fringe players. 

I don't follow any football other than Rangers, so I have no clue who you are talking about!:laugh2:.

My post was a more general comment on what type of manager will be the next! I don't have any ideas who I would want in, however I lean towards a British manager simply because the Scottish league is based on kicking opponents off the pitch, look how the best ever invincible scum team fairs in Europe! a European manager might try and build a proper football team! that won't work in Scotland :P.

Rodgers had better quality players to deal with than we have!.

Edited by ian1964

8 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

I don't follow any football other than Rangers, so I have no clue who you are talking about!:laugh2:.

My post was a more general comment on what type of manager will be the next! I don't have any ideas who I would want in, however I lean towards a British manager simply because the Scottish league is based on kicking opponents off the pitch, look how the best ever invincible scum team fairs in Europe! a European manager might try and build a proper football team! that won't work in Scotland :P.

Rodgers had better quality players to deal with than we have!.

Fair enough.

I do appreciate that argument; my head says it's a logical argument, but my heart yearns for something more... 

34 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

These managers are working with far higher quality players than we will ever have at Rangers! none of these managers would be successful at Ibrox unless they have cash to improve the quality of player they would require...........................I think?:P

I don’t fancy any more titz at Ibrox. :D

56 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Yes, that's an issue. As is the fact that he's on'y managed in the Championship thus far. Can he make the step up?

Alex Neil is probably the best young Scottish manager at the moment, but he's (a) not too different from what the rest do and (b) probably out of our reach, being a success in the English Championship is a good stage.

None really stand out. 

I watched a video about Guardiola's early managerial apprenticeship, and nothing really compares here -- he's choosing clubs in Italy and Mexico to work with managers and learn their methods. We're rather close-minded when it comes to this stuff.

Scotland used to be a fertile breeding ground for the successful old fashioned style of manager mainly because of the force of personality/character allied to the straightforward, humble but hard working class background (often old industrial areas like mines). For those that were really successful, you could add a very football savvy brain and a charasmatic leadership.

Fast forward and the new style of successful manager coming through is something else altogether and generally have a make-up that is foreign to the Scottish football culture and none in Scotland that I know have the independent force of character to impose themselves.

ie. I think the relative quality of Scottish manager compared to many other nations will continue to go downhill. The ones that end up being really successful will need to work outside Scotland to fully develop. Meanwhile, Scotland will live in it's own footballing bubble.

1 hour ago, compo said:

To use our old friend Gerry McNees favourite line , my Ibrox mole suggests it's between Paul Lambert and Marcel Kaiser 

I take it that is tongue in cheek but all Marcel Keizer has ever done is a youth coach and a hellish job at Ajaxfor a number of months. He also got Dennis Bergkamp the sack as it was him that backed him in getting the job. There is totally no difference between Murty and Keizer in experience.

If it is Lambert, well.............

18 hours ago, Rousseau said:

No coaching academy in Scotland? Have you never heard of Largs, where Mourinho learned his trade & first met Steve Clarke?

We need to be realistic here. Mark Allen is the main man, & seems to be slowly building a good squad, but only a low profile coach would work under him. We are not going to appoint a big name, even if we could afford to, the only realistic option I’ve seen on this thread is Clarke & even he might knock us back.

i suspect it will be Murty who guides us into Europa League qualifiers (if we finish 2/3rd) as the statement from Dave King was deliberately vague. We won’t win the league until either Rodgers leaves (to Chelsea this summer?) or some billionaire sheik comes in like at Man City, so we just have to be content with gradual progress. We are a better team than last season, so add half a dozen first team players & we should be well clear of Aberdeen & Hibs next season. Unless we gamble & bring in a new manager who is probably going to be worse than Murty!