New manager rumours

Gregory Vignal hopes he can inspire the next generation of Ibrox kids after returning to Rangers

Christopher Jack  @Chris_Jack89Group Senior Sports Writer
Gregory Vignal promotes the Rangers Youth Development Company

Gregory Vignal promotes the Rangers Youth Development Company

GREGORY VIGNAL played his part in one of the most famous days in Rangers’ recent history as he helped Alex McLeish’s side clinch the title on Helicopter Sunday.

Now the Frenchman is determined to inspire the next generation of Light Blueskids that are aiming to write their names in Ibrox folklore for years to come.

Vignal spent just one season in Glasgow as he made the loan switch from Liverpool but his time north of the border proved to be a successful one as he lifted a league and cup double.

His return to these shores a few months ago came out of the blue. It was a move he was more than happy to make, however, after taking up a coaching role within the Auchenhowie Academy.

Vignal said: “I had a meeting with Mark Allen around October or November. We decided just to start and work with the academy as a coach.

“I will be here until June and then we will see what happens. I am doing the under-14s and sometimes the under-17s as well.

“I used to coach in France and I was an assistant manager from July to September before I came here. I have just passed my UEFA Licence and I have decided to coach.

“We have a lot of good young players but they have to keep working hard every day. It is good the way the academy is right now and hopefully we can see a few young boys making into the first team next season.

“When I used to play here I didn’t have a lot of interaction with the academy. But you see now that the academy and the first-team work closer together.

“We have had a few young boys round training with the first team and that is great for their development. The young players see some of their team-mates getting to work with the first-team squad and it gives everyone a lift. They can see they can get there as well.”

Vignal is one of a number of former Light Blues stars that are now working with kids of all ages at the Rangers Football Centre.

The 36-year-old is still in the early stages of his coaching career as he looks to make the transition onto the touchline.

He has already gained valuable experience, though, and his sessions could have a continental flavour in the coming months.

Vignal said: “The way we work in France is different to the way it works in Scotland. The French academy is very good, but so are the Scottish ones and they have introduced the Project Brave scheme now as well.

“That could be good for the whole of Scottish football. I am hoping to bring some new ideas that I have learned in France with me here and help some of the younger boys develop. I can’t tell you what they are, it is a secret, I will keep them for just the people at the club.

“I was 19 when I went to Liverpool from Montpellier. I worked with Gerard Houllier, Phil Thompson and Sammy Lee and I learned a lot from them.

“Even when Rafa Benitez came in for pre-season I was very impressed by the way he used to manage things and his training was always very good.

“I learned a lot from some top managers and I think that can help me in my own coaching career.

“It is my target to be a manager – I am just starting my career as a coach and I will take it step by step. Hopefully it will happen – it may take time but I want to do it.

“I started my badges in 2008 and have my UEFA licence and my target is Pro Licence.

“Hopefully one day you will see me on the bench at Rangers helping the team win as a coach.”

*Gregory Vignal was speaking as he promoted the Rangers Youth Development Company and their £8k in 2018 Lotto campaign. £10 million in prizes has already been won in recent years and it costs just £1 to play. Full details on RYDC and their portfolio of products can be found at www.rydc.co.uk

18 hours ago, colinstein said:

In my heart of hearts........we need a manager with experience.......the only reason I can see  we'd go for a rookie is we couldn't get anyone else. ...and if it's a rookie there's one with some experience of actually managing a top team. Step forward Murty

I'm just not getting it folks.

# uneasy.......as they would text or something

:fish2:

Not fishing at all....despairing more like. Murty's pitch was interesting. He said something like he thought he'd done well with players who weren't his. So sounds like he didn't have much of an input into the January signings or the targets we're acquiring for next season....So is Mark Allan pulling all the strings ?

8 hours ago, buster. said:

I saw a clip of McCoist saying that unless their was significant investment then no-one, including Guardiola and Mourinho would be a success at Ibrox.

In other words, he was partly absolving himself from any blame of his personal failure in the Ibrox dug-out but is never keen to mention the relatively significant 'investment' that came his way.

-----------

TBF I don't think we are going to be able to properly consider a new appointment/project until we see both the figurehead and the backing he gets (both staff and financial / and the way the latter is invested). 

Not sure how that can be taken as McCoist absolving himself given he never went head to head in the same division as Celtic after we entered admin

Go for it son! Former Rangers manager Graeme Souness tells fellow Liverpool great Steve Gerrard to accept Ibrox job

GRAEME Souness, the Liverpool legend who moved into management at Rangers, today told Steve Gerrard, who has held talks with the Ibrox club about taking over in the summer, to "go for it son".

British football was stunned earlier this week when it emerged that representatives of the Ladbrokes Premiership club had met with Gerrard about becoming the permanent replacement for Pedro Caixinha.

The 37-year-old, who brought an end to his outstanding playing career less than two years ago, is currently the under-18 coach at Anfield, has no managerial experience.

However, Scotland great Souness was in an identical position back in 1986 when he took over and he enjoyed tremendous success during his five years in charge.

The 64-year-old was helped by the financial backing he received from the Ibrox board during his spell in Govan and he admitted this was not the ideal time to take over.

But, speaking on Sky Sports following the Rangers game against Stoke City at Anfield, he told Gerrard that the opportunity may never arise again and urged him to "go for it son".

Souness told the former England captain he would become a "God" in the eyes of the Rangers support if he can end the domestic dominance of Celtic - who are managed by former Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers - if he does take the job.

"If he does go he is going to a fantastic football club who for the best part of a decade have been in the doldrums for whatever reasons," he said.

"He has spent the vast majority of his life at a very passionate football which is one of the few football clubs in England that is an institution and if he goes to Glasgow he will be going to a football club that is an institution. I would say the same about Celtic.

"Why is it an institution? Because of what it means to the supporters. If Steven decides to go there it is not the best time to manage Glasgow Rangers because of their difficulties. But what a job! If he goes up there and gets it half right he will be a God.

"You know what Glasgow is like. Football is everything up there. So it he's got the chance go for it son because you never know what the future holds. You might never get the chance to manage a club like that again.

"He has to finish first. That is the challenge. It is no good going up there, playing great football and finishing second. You have got to top Celtic and right now Celtic are in the box seat."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/16191441.Go_for_it_son__Former_Rangers_manager_Graeme_Souness_tells_fellow_Liverpool_great_Steve_Gerrard_to_accept_Ibrox_job/

8 hours ago, pete said:

This is turning stories to suit your argument. Pedro started managing when he was only 28 and had been at a number of clubs as assistant or full manager.

Teams managed
1999–2003 Desportivo Beja (youth)
2003–2004 Vasco Gama Vidigueira
2004–2006 Sporting CP (assistant)
2006–2007 Al-Hilal (assistant)
2007–2008 Panathinaikos (assistant)
2008–2009 Rapid București (assistant)
2009–2010 Saudi Arabia (assistant)
2010–2011 União Leiria
2011–2012 Nacional
2013–2015 Santos Laguna
2015–2017 Al-Gharafa
2017 Rangers
2017– Cruz Azul

Ally McCoist had played under a number of managers and was assistant to Walter for 4 years. He was also a coach under Walter at Scotland so a step up to manager was not that crazy a decision. After all the great Bill Struth had taken roughly the same route. on the other hand Dave White also took the same route he had managed Clyde and was assistant under Scott Symon before stepping up and he failed to win a major title. Warburtons problem was not so much experience but bloody mindedness a trait that he has shown at virtually every club he has been at.

You could have of course included John Greig who was taken from player to manager and flopped.

Willie Waddell was successful at kilmarnock and  gave us the ECWC and a LC but never won a title and he was experienced although he did give us the new Ibrox.

PLG had experience in winning the French title 3 times but flopped with us.

As you can see experience is not a guarantee for success as our history proves and unfortunately money probably is the biggest guarantee for success these days.

Pete, posting Pedro's crap CV doesn't do your argument much help. We have had various managers recently lacking the required experience for this role and this is an indisputable fact. Going for someone with decent experience is a no brainer. Killie managed so we should be able to not only match that, but do significantly better. I'm all about promoting younger coaches if they have decent ideology, but with our inept board, infrastructure and resources we need to be minimising any risk. Gerrard is another shot in the dark.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

9 hours ago, buster. said:

I saw a clip of McCoist saying that unless their was significant investment then no-one, including Guardiola and Mourinho would be a success at Ibrox.

In other words, he was partly absolving himself from any blame of his personal failure in the Ibrox dug-out but is never keen to mention the relatively significant 'investment' that came his way.

-----------

TBF I don't think we are going to be able to properly consider a new appointment/project until we see both the figurehead and the backing he gets (both staff and financial / and the way the latter is invested). 

‘In other words’.  I.e.  if you swapped some of the words he used for completely different words changing the meaning of what he said to suit your reading then, yes, he’s partly absolving himself from any blame.

Edited by Unicorn