New manager rumours

I think I've managed to forgo all reason and convince myself that Gerrard will be a good move.

I'll have gone from 'Gerrard shouldn't be an option', to 'Stevie G's taking us to 55' on the announcement when it comes -- if it comes...

And If it doesn't come I'll be like...

giphy.gif

You might not like this Rousseau, but I think we are similar.  He would not have been my first choice (or anything near it), but I can become quite excited at something like this and I too am imagining the 55 banners when he's announced.

Lets face it, no matter what we think about this board, they are willing to take risks to get us back where we belong.  To pull this off might not every bear's idea of a good appointment, but there cannot be a single bear that can say it isn't exciting and ambitious.

32 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I think I've managed to forgo all reason and convince myself that Gerrard will be a good move.

I'll have gone from 'Gerrard shouldn't be an option', to 'Stevie G's taking us to 55' on the announcement when it comes -- if it comes...

giphy.gif

Yes, I'm beginning to feel the same.  It's probably some sort of mass delusion but hey, ho....we're all punch drunk after the last six years.

54 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

giphy.gif

I voted the same and stick with it, however I can't think of a manager I would want to come in, I will of course give whoever comes in my backing, any appointment is a gamble so maybe the stature of SG will get the best out of the players? it is still hope that we all have more than anything though!

I voted agaiinst SG in the Poll but every tim scribbler in the land has his crayons out ridiculing the proposition so such a concerted barrage must mean they’ve got a touch of the fear. I’ve changed my mind. “Stevie G it’s got to be!”

Talk Sport had a phone-in on this on Friday. First caller, John, a Partick Thistle supporter.

”Rainjurrs urra joke up here. Thuvv nae munny”

I see predictive speech has been invented.

I think the term you're looking for is mass hysteria, it's incredible and baffling in equal measure. 

If Rangers were appointing the under 18 coach from Spurs or Southampton there would be nothing like the excitement this seems to be generating. Yet both those clubs have a far better record of producing young players than Liverpool do suggesting their under 18 coaches might be quite good. I mean if we feel the way forward is to find a young, ambitious, but untried at first team level, coach then Mikel Arteta for example would make much more sense. 

This is a hell of a gamble. I find it surprising because we're genuinely not that far away from competing for this league. The side needs more belief and back bone and some leadership, we need a stronger back line, but we're the highest scorers in the league despite another tumultuous season off the park. We need stability, nous and experience in my opinion. 

People have compared this to the Souness appointment, wrongly I think. Rangers were fifth that season on goal difference, only one goal better off than sixth placed Dundee. The season before we were fourth, 21 points behind the champions. We need a catalyst for radical change, we were a long way behind Celtic, Aberdeen and Dundee Utd at that time. We're not now, we're just poorly managed. 

The fact Gerrard was a very good player means nothing. We'll be asking him to coach players who aren't as good as he was and not capable of doing what he could.

It might interesting to look over the city for a moment. Rodgers was reserve coach at Chelsea for a few seasons. Well thought of he was offered the managers job at Watford. Taking over when they were in danger of relegation he kept them up. He left shortly after to take theReading job, a club he'd been at before. Reading didn't work out well and he left after 6 months with them fourth bottom. Rodgers made mistakes at both clubs. As neither is in much spotlight outside of their own towns this largely passed unnoticed. He was able to learn and when he landed the job at Swansea, a club well run with a clear structure in place he flourished. 

You don't get to make mistakes at Rangers, the spotlight is always on, shining very brightly. 

So far this mass hysteria has passed me by. Who knows though, it's clearly contagious so I might succumb soon. 

I was starting to think Walter for a year would be best option to steady things - it may still be that way if 'Ger'rard doesnt take it.

However on Gerrard, he seems to have this inner drive, scary inner drive to succeed and he is an absolute winner. I dont see it as a risk in the same boat as Pedro or Warburton. Gerrard has been there and seen it and had pressure - he is British and from a passionate city similar to Glasgow and will know far more of the expectations than the previous 2. He demands high levels. The comparing with Souness taking over in the 80s cant be looked at - Souness took over a side who had the potential to be amongst the big boys in Europe, however i can see the compare in the two individuals - both absolute winners. However Souness was a Rangers fan, Gerrard isnt, bar that they do have similarities. I dont remember Souness much as a player but would have Gerrard in my all time Premier League XI anyway. 

If he takes it then its big yes for me.

One thing thats went under the radar is the Gary Mac inclusion. I think thats huge. Ive said for years he would be a cracking assistant for us (said the same about the late great Ray Wilkins) and Gary Mac brings the 'know whats its like to be a Ranger' factor.

I am 50/50 as to if this will happen, he may just feel its not the time. But Id be happy with it.  

Edited by Gribz

Our fans have lost the plot. Nobody is fearful of steven gerrard. Just goes to show logic has zero to do with anything and all it takes is a tim to take one side and our lot all jump to the other. 

Ignore them and think. Same person who chose Murty is choosing again and learned nothing.

Follow follow has always been wild but the gerrard thread has me wondering if our schools are now as bad.