New manager rumours

36 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

From the Gerrard - ITK poster on FF just now:

It’s done. I assume he’s had answers to those terribly taxing 3 issues from earlier on.

https://www.followfollow.com/forum/threads/the-steven-gerrard-55-express-train.27387/page-172#post-1307049

Let's hope that KopGer, who was certainly bang on with Rossiter, knows his stuff because, inevitably, others are now alert to the fact Gerrard is ready to choose his starting club:

The Daily Mail has reported that the Light Blues are not the sole runners in the hunt for the 37-year-old rookie manager as it is understood English Championship club Ipswich are interested in appointing him as Mick McCarthy’s successor.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/dave-king-must-up-the-ante-to-coax-gerrard-to-rangers-after-reported-english-club-interest/

Kopger may say it is done, but Rangers beg to differ:

“We can confirm talks with Steven are at an advanced stage. There are still a few things to iron out, but we will be going onto further talks and hope to have an announcement next week.”

Statement via Sky

8 minutes ago, SteveC said:

Kopger may say it is done, but Rangers beg to differ:

“We can confirm talks with Steven are at an advanced stage. There are still a few things to iron out, but we will be going onto further talks and hope to have an announcement next week.”

Statement via Sky

This suggests that it is effectively agreed and we are just finalising details.

The board will look pretty silly if it doesn't get him to sign now.

Just now, ranger_syntax said:

This suggests that it is effectively agreed and we are just finalising details.

The board will look pretty silly if it doesn't get him to sign now.

Yes, but they've looked silly before and the phrase " a few things still to iron out" directly contradicts what kopger said.  not that I'm saying he's wrong, it's just odd that he specifically said there was nothing left to "iron out".

7 hours ago, Gribz said:

I was starting to think Walter for a year would be best option to steady things - it may still be that way if 'Ger'rard doesnt take it.

However on Gerrard, he seems to have this inner drive, scary inner drive to succeed and he is an absolute winner. I dont see it as a risk in the same boat as Pedro or Warburton. Gerrard has been there and seen it and had pressure - he is British and from a passionate city similar to Glasgow and will know far more of the expectations than the previous 2. He demands high levels. The comparing with Souness taking over in the 80s cant be looked at - Souness took over a side who had the potential to be amongst the big boys in Europe, however i can see the compare in the two individuals - both absolute winners. However Souness was a Rangers fan, Gerrard isnt, bar that they do have similarities. I dont remember Souness much as a player but would have Gerrard in my all time Premier League XI anyway. 

If he takes it then its big yes for me.

One thing thats went under the radar is the Gary Mac inclusion. I think thats huge. Ive said for years he would be a cracking assistant for us (said the same about the late great Ray Wilkins) and Gary Mac brings the 'know whats its like to be a Ranger' factor.

I am 50/50 as to if this will happen, he may just feel its not the time. But Id be happy with it.  

Souness was a Rangers fan, 

So much of a Rangers fan he jumped ship for his beloved Liverpool. At least we know Gerrard is using us a proving ground. I've no beef with that; he will go to L'pool with my blessing as that will mean he's been a success here.

Edited by alexscottislegend

IMHO, throwing money at a new manager is not necessarily the best solution.  We have a decent squad, one that is (should be) miles better than 10 other teams in the SPFL.  Our squad has a decent balance of ages & experience levels, and some really great players.....so WHY should we throw £m's at a new manager immediately???

A good manager (as has been shown time & time again else where), should be able to stroll into Auchenhowie & whip these guys into a solid, reliable & consistent team.  One that should be more than capable of wiping the floor with the SPFL, and taking points from Ceptic - we have the components, we just need someone who knows what the best way to assemble them is - that is hopefully Gerrard.

Both Warbs & Pedro strolled in & were handed sizeable budgets....the outcome being left with a load of over-paid players twiddling their thumbs.

25 minutes ago, DevilBlue WeeThe said:

Your point being?

Beating Celtic once in a blue moon will not win any other team the league title.

They have won more games in a row than us since clarke took over than we have all season. Could be wrong but also think he drew with them first game too then beat them. Not sure if there were defeats in between. Clarke will wipe the floor with murty and gerrard tactically, only thing on our side is cash. Absolutely dreadful decision to not bring in clarke but another rookie instead.

Give clarke our resources and he will make a better fist of it than we have.

Seen in paper couple weeks back since he has took over hes only 6 points off celtic and would be second in the league if we had all started then.  5 wins in a trot is more than any other top half team has managed. Something like 29 points from 46. At kilmarnock thats incredible 

Edited by trublusince1982