New manager rumours

7 minutes ago, MrGaryValentine said:

This really needs done & dusted today. 

Let Murty go & bring in Gerrard - TODAY.

That is not going to happen. it will be Murty to the end of the season. Murty does not want to be seen as a quitter and Rangers will let him see out his contract. unfortunately everyone knows our weak point is down the middle and keep playing on it. Murty is determined not to learn from his mistakes it would seem. easier to keep hitting your head against a brick wall.:brick:

I see there is a concerted effort by the Scottish media to try and dissuade Gerrard from taking the job. Chris Sutton, Davie Provan, Kris Commons... all suggesting it is a bad move.

Unlike their English counterparts Shearer, Wright, Cascarino etc who all think it’s a great move.

Funny that.

10 minutes ago, Waltersgotstyle said:

I see there is a concerted effort by the Scottish media to try and dissuade Gerrard from taking the job. Chris Sutton, Davie Provan, Kris Commons... all suggesting it is a bad move.

Unlike their English counterparts Shearer, Wright, Cascarino etc who all think it’s a great move.

Funny that.

That’s why I’ve changed my mind. If the tim crayon pushers are agin it, I’m for it.

I would hope that Gerrard gets a decent enough run down of the mhedia of Scotland, whom he should talk to, and who he should avoid. They have ragdolled all of our people for the last few years and the far too soft stance of the club needs to end.

30 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Now that I think about it, we should've been looking at a top quality assistant to appoint as our manager; someone that's involved with a top manager, that brings new, modern ideas. It offers more value than going after an unknown.

New and modern ideas aren't enough on their own and having someone who has never managed or been a Manager/Number One impart said ideas is higher risk than need be.

Cathro was an example of your typical laptop coach who was on a hiding to nothing in the world of Scottish fitbaw.

He was like the specky new kid in class who the school bullies see as easy meat. The latter being the media who were itching to get after him and the extra pressure was on from before his first game. He was too weak and turned up for a while hiding his bruises but in the end, his diluted authority was largely ignored by players and he left the building, probably never to manage at a decent level again.

Sometimes, I think there are 'laptop messageboard posters' who see nearly everything through stats and formations. Fair enough, it plays it's part but that alone isn't going to cut it at Ibrox. We need some real old fashioned leadership, allied to experience, football savvy and an eye for a player that'll fit within a plan.

Edited by buster.

1 hour ago, pete said:

That is not going to happen. it will be Murty to the end of the season. Murty does not want to be seen as a quitter and Rangers will let him see out his contract. unfortunately everyone knows our weak point is down the middle and keep playing on it. Murty is determined not to learn from his mistakes it would seem. easier to keep hitting your head against a brick wall.:brick:

My gut feeling is you are right...

BUT, we are risking Europe now and I read somewhere the difference between 2nd and 4th is £500k in prize money. 

If Gerrard is the new manager he should be on the phone this morning telling the board he is coming in now because we could quite easily make an arse of this, finish 4th and have to rely on Celtic doing a double treble to give us Europe next year. That is unthinkable. 

Murty should never be anywhere near a Rangers' dugout again. 

We will fight till the day is done?  No surrender? His mere presence mocks these values.

(As does that of a significant no of players, but we have to put a team on the pitch.)

Edited by Uilleam

1 hour ago, buster. said:

New and modern ideas aren't enough on their own and having someone who has never managed or been a Manager/Number One impart said ideas is higher risk than need be.

Cathro was an example of your typical laptop coach who was on a hiding to nothing in the world of Scottish fitbaw.

He was like the specky new kid in class who the school bullies see as easy meat. The latter being the media who were itching to get after him and the extra pressure was on from before his first game. He was too weak and turned up for a while hiding his bruises but in the end, his diluted authority was largely ignored by players and he left the building, probably never to manage at a decent level again.

Sometimes, I think there are 'laptop messageboard posters' who see nearly everything through stats and formations. Fair enough, it plays it's part but that alone isn't going to cut it at Ibrox. We need some real old fashioned leadership, allied to experience, football savvy and an eye for a player that'll fit within a plan.

Who said they were? My point was that it might have provided the best value, including experience, leadership, modern ideas etc. 

We're looking at a top-class, experienced manager, which would cost too much, or a complete unknown, which is too big a gamble; it's extremes

A middle way, where we look for an assistant who has worked with a top manager, who's looking for their first foray into management, may have provided a 'best of both worlds' scenario. It was hypothetical.

I take it you're going with the Scottish media's pejorative slant on 'laptop manager'? It's a positive term in Germany... We need to stop pigeon-holing. Just because someone likes stats, doesn't mean that's all they look at. If a football club is not using stats in some form in this day and age, then something is far wrong.

it's part of the problem that we are looking to go "old fashioned". The game's moved on; we have to move with it. 

Just now, Rousseau said:

Who said they were? My point was that it might have provided the best value, including experience, leadership, modern ideas etc. 

We're looking at a top-class, experienced manager, which would cost too much, or a complete unknown, which is too big a gamble; it's extremes

A middle way, where we look for an assistant who has worked with a top manager, who's looking for their first foray into management, may have provided a 'best of both worlds' scenario. It was hypothetical.

I take it you're going with the Scottish media's pejorative slant on 'laptop manager'? It's a positive term in Germany... We need to stop pigeon-holing. Just because someone likes stats, doesn't mean that's all they look at. If a football club is not using stats in some form in this day and age, then something is far wrong.

it's part of the problem that we are looking to go "old fashioned". The game's moved on; we have to move with it. 

Rangers play in Scotland and it's that enviroment that is relevant to this discussion. What works or doesn't in Germany has regrettably very little relevance to our lot up north.

Let me spell this out for you. In the current circumstances, a laptop type of manager won't work at Ibrox. Taking that further, a laptop manager without any managerial experience taking over the club would be "institutional Failure" part II.

I shouldn't have referred to experienced leadership as being 'old-fashioned', it's simply practical common sense.