New manager rumours

43 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I did say in another post, other than in the job remit. 

I still don't think you can be given authority, in terms of respect. 

.......but you forgot to mention it in the relevant post when my wording obviously referred to remit.

Of course you........... "don't think you can be given authority, in terms of respect." ............that's because as we all know, you can't.

20 minutes ago, DMAA said:

I prefer the sound of that. We can't repeat the mistake of looking for keepers and defenders "who can pass". On our budget that means you're half decent on the ball but mediocre at defending.

I think it's achieveable for us to try and emulate a squad more similar to the Walter's team in 2008 or Martin O Neill's in 2003 who both massively over-achieved in Europe. Brenda's sides are good in Scotland but woeful in Europe because they can't defend.

It's very hard to emulate Barcelona's style and be any good on our budget, but it's not that hard to build a team that's strong and physical whilst still having pace and dynamism going forward.

Yes, it'll be impossible to replicate Barca football. 

RB Salzburg have reached the Semi-final of the Europa playing great football; it's based on pace, energy and being direct. They can play possession football, but it's not their first strategy. It's all about being quick on transitions. It's pragmatic in its own way, but still modern. 

I do think we need our own style, which is traditionally tough defensively, while being pacey and powerful going forward. But, I think there's a way of implementing that within a modern approach. 

Salzburg have based it on pure energy, but within a modern framework of transition football, intelligent spacing and player positioning etc. 

11 minutes ago, buster. said:

.......but you forgot to mention it in the relevant post when my wording obviously referred to remit.

Of course you........... "don't think you can be given authority, in terms of respect." ............that's because as we all know, you can't.

Maybe I misinterpreted. 

I did mention character from the start -- could you not have pulled me up earlier?

The structure is irrelevant, though: it's 'settled' -- relatively speaking -- so the only difference is in the character of the individual. It's not the type of authority we can give. It's innate in the individual. 

Was I just arguing with myself?

giphy.gif

Just now, compo said:

I find it amazing just how many in the media are putting out lots of negativity about this pending appointment it looks like they are trying to put him off joining the club .

There is good reason why the lack of experience issue can be brought up but balanced reporting would also look at the positive.

2 hours ago, Rousseau said:

Yes, it'll be impossible to replicate Barca football. 

RB Salzburg have reached the Semi-final of the Europa playing great football; it's based on pace, energy and being direct. They can play possession football, but it's not their first strategy. It's all about being quick on transitions. It's pragmatic in its own way, but still modern. 

I do think we need our own style, which is traditionally tough defensively, while being pacey and powerful going forward. But, I think there's a way of implementing that within a modern approach. 

Salzburg have based it on pure energy, but within a modern framework of transition football, intelligent spacing and player positioning etc. 

Agreed. The Salzburg style sounds like a good middle ground. It’s an over-emphasis on possession especially that I think doesn’t work for us. Salzburg sound to me

like a great example of how to run a club, I’ve noticed the way they have been picking up young prospects from all over. 

Sky Sources have revealed the negotiations with Steven Gerrard to become new manager could be concluded by the end of the week, with an announcement in due course.

The 37-year old has not been ‘put off’ the job after yesterday’s result, and in fact is said to be more ‘excited’ than ever by the idea of getting one over on both Celtic and his old boss Brendan Rodgers.

While further negotiations have been confirmed for this week, they are said to be progressing well, and it has been revealed that Gary McAllister will indeed be his assistant manager if the deal can be sorted.

As we explained earlier, budget does not appear to be a stumbling block, but Gerrard is said to seeking reassurances about his ambitions, his needs, and the level of control he will have once in the hot seat.

This one could well be ratified by as early as Friday, but we shall wait and see.

Link under review! Pete