New manager rumours

Just now, buster. said:

Moving onto Gerrard...........

Hypothetically, he comes in and he is given authority and I think he obviously get's respect. He'd have to maintain it.

IMO he needs two transfer windows to shape the squad, put his ideas into practise, make some mistakes, learn from it and be ready to really go for the beginning of 2019/20.

Agreed.

SG will command a high level of respect due to his playing career - it's then up to him to maintain that into management, and set ground rules down immediately so that the squad know he's not messing about.

SG clearly has a winning mentality and is seriously driven to succeed....hopefully that can be driven into our team & players.

2 minutes ago, Walterbear said:

You don’t always need a Walter Smith iron fist to assert authority. I imagine Gerrard would command authority by his presence alone. 

how that authority is handled will vary from person to person....but it needs to be clear to the players where that line is & not to cross it.

1 hour ago, buster. said:

I would argue that the modern approach didn't work for Celtic, ie. Ronnie Delia as Head Coach with diluted authority.

It required a 'mix' of a modern football operation with an authoritive figure as manager who wielded the real power within.

-----------------

I've said on several occasions that if we go down the 'expendable' Head Coach/DoF route we'll go through them like golf balls.

We need a leader who is comfortable and competent with real authority in charge of a modern day operation.

If the funds are there to attract Gerrard his staff and bankroll them then I'd have thought we should have enough to attract a more experienced and IMO suitable candidate.

That doesn't preclude a manager with a modern approach. 

Delia wasn't really 'modern', merely a fitness freak -- even that wasn't that great. Good times... 

1 hour ago, Darthter said:

That is a basic requirement of any manager, regardless of the style of football they like to play.

You can see ceptic adopting a more modern, passing style of play and all the while Brenda has the full respect of his players.

1 hour ago, buster. said:

You'd have thought so but some clubs have tried the Head Coach with diluted authority within a football operation.

SPFL

Hearts had mixed results, Neilson did ok whilst Cathro bombed and forced DoF to become authoritive  manager.

Celtic: Delia got binned.

------------

That said I think Gerrard would be given the authority.

Authority comes from innate character -- which none of those names had -- and winning. Their title is irrelevant.  

7 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Authority comes from innate character -- which none of those names had -- and winning. Their title is irrelevant.  

In Delia's case it was about a board decision and was authority within a football operation he wasn't given.

It was their go at a 'modern approach'. They did it knowing they'd win the title regardless but eventually they acted on a problem when they saw us about to return to the top flight, not to mention their lack of CL revenue under the Norwegian.

I'd agree in the case of Cathro but it was a double whammy with him, ie. didn't 'exude' authority, nor was it given to him. This led to public ridicule and an inevitabe conclusion.

In this respect, Gerrard shouldn't have a problem when/if he arrives.

3 minutes ago, buster. said:

In Delia's case it was about a board decision and was authority within a football operation he wasn't given.

It was their go at a 'modern approach'. They did it knowing they'd win the title regardless but eventually they acted on a problem when they saw us about to return to the top flight, not to mention their lack of CL revenue under the Norwegian.

I'd agree in the case of Cathro but it was a double whammy with him, ie. didn't 'exude' authority, nor was it given to him. This led to public ridicule and an inevitabe conclusion.

In this respect, Gerrard shouldn't have a problem when/if he arrives.

I disagree about Delia. He wasn't a 'modern coach', he was a fitness freak; different, and a change from what they have/had, but not modern. 

You can't be given authority, other than in being appointed. You have to take it. You have that character or you don't. And, even if you don't, it can be gained through winning.

I agree about Gerrard. 

The dressing room, is effectively the manager/coaches domain - no "suits" allowed.

He has full authority within that place....its not a privilege handed to him by the board.

How he asserts his personal authority over the player is 100% down to the manager.  Cathro, Neilson, Deila & Murty do not give off an aura of authority.  You never get/got the impression that they had the full respect of their players.

What happens when any of the walk into a room???  I would bet that most folk wouldn't even notice.  On the flip side, what happens when Souness, Smith, Pep, Mourinho walk into the room - folk will notice.  They have a presence about them, they hold themselves in a particular manner that tells folk "The Manager is here...".  That, I'm sure, is something you'll get with the likes of Gerrard.

6 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I disagree about Delia. He wasn't a 'modern coach', he was a fitness freak; different, and a change from what they have/had, but not modern. 

You can't be given authority, other than in being appointed. You have to take it. You have that character or you don't. And, even if you don't, it can be gained through winning.

I agree about Gerrard. 

I didn't say he was a 'modern coach', I said it was a 'modern approach' from that club.

If you want to change the wording to 'different' instead of modern, fine.

It was different and generally considered as 'modern' or 'fashionable'. 

Delia was working within a football operation and he didn't GET GIVEN the authority that Rodgers would later be given. In that respect he was effectivelly swimming against the tide from the start.

Part of the media ridiculed him to a degree (nothing compared with Cathro) and his immediate results in Europe were poor. He did have a strongish character but didn't apply it in a way that would be received favourably in Scotland.

They learned from their mistake and at the time could afford to make it.