New manager rumours

3 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

OK, special in the sense we still cling to that, but not special in the sense that a modern approach won't work (See Them).

I would argue that the modern approach didn't work for Celtic, ie. Ronnie Delia as Head Coach with diluted authority.

It required a 'mix' of a modern football operation with an authoritive figure as manager who wielded the real power within.

-----------------

I've said on several occasions that if we go down the 'expendable' Head Coach/DoF route we'll go through them like golf balls.

We need a leader who is comfortable and competent with real authority in charge of a modern day operation.

If the funds are there to attract Gerrard his staff and bankroll them then I'd have thought we should have enough to attract a more experienced and IMO suitable candidate.

As someone said earlier it depends on the overall package. If it brings Rangers closer to Liverpool through academies, scouting agreements, loan deals , sponsorship, attracting better quality player purchases, leaves a legacy linking us to EPL clubs and there is finance of £20m it might work but it’s a 3 year project (again). 

Just now, buster. said:

It required a 'mix' of a modern football operation with an authoritive figure as manager who wielded the real power within.

That is a basic requirement of any manager, regardless of the style of football they like to play.

You can see ceptic adopting a more modern, passing style of play and all the while Brenda has the full respect of his players.

1 minute ago, Darthter said:

That is a basic requirement of any manager, regardless of the style of football they like to play.

You can see ceptic adopting a more modern, passing style of play and all the while Brenda has the full respect of his players.

You'd have thought so but some clubs have tried the Head Coach with diluted authority within a football operation.

SPFL

Hearts had mixed results, Neilson did ok whilst Cathro bombed and forced DoF to become authoritive  manager.

Celtic: Delia got binned.

------------

That said I think Gerrard would be given the authority.

30 minutes ago, buster. said:

You'd have thought so but some clubs have tried the Head Coach with diluted authority within a football operation.

SPFL

Hearts had mixed results, Neilson did ok whilst Cathro bombed and forced DoF to become authoritive  manager.

Celtic: Delia got binned.

------------

That said I think Gerrard would be given the authority.

I'm talking about Authority in the dressing room - an "iron fist" if you will.

Players need to have an element of fear over the manager/coach.  He can't be pally with the players, that loses respect and that fear-factor.  Players need to know that there is a line that they don't cross, coz if they do there will be hell to pay - I get the impression that with out managers, that line has either been non-existent or at best VERY faint.

Wallace, Souness or Smith would not have stood for ANY disrespect or back chat in their dressing rooms - the players knew who was the boss...and it wasn't their egos!!!

3 minutes ago, Darthter said:

I'm talking about Authority in the dressing room - an "iron fist" if you will.

Players need to have an element of fear over the manager/coach.  He can't be pally with the players, that loses respect and that fear-factor.  Players need to know that there is a line that they don't cross, coz if they do there will be hell to pay - I get the impression that with out managers, that line has either been non-existent or at best VERY faint.

Wallace, Souness or Smith would not have stood for ANY disrespect or back chat in their dressing rooms - the players knew who was the boss...and it wasn't their egos!!!

Yes, that is required, authority that leads to respect.

Delia never had the authority (wasn't given it) and senior players didn't respect him as they should. This led to problems that at times became very apparent, eg. Commons bench outburst.

It was clear that this wasn't working so they changed the manager but kept the players who on the whole had been recruited at the right age and had their careers in front of them. Hence, Rodgers comes in and has something to work with.

ie. If Rodgers was to become Rangers manager tomorrow, he wouldn't be able to replicate what he did in his first season at celtic.

That in itself should demonstrate the extent of the task in front of a new manager and the reason why we'll need to be patient, even if a first season was to be a relative success......because a relative success won't be enough for those without patience.

Just now, buster. said:

ie. If Rodgers was to become Rangers manager tomorrow, he wouldn't be able to replicate what he did in his first season at celtic.

I think he'd be able to replicate certain aspects of what they have done - consistency & reliability being the main parts.  I think he'd also start getting better performances out of some of our "duds".

Yesterday's drubbing could work in the club's favour for next season.

From the board's point of view, they're now in a position where they really need to commit to spending good money for next season to appease the fans.

From an incoming manager's point of view, it's still not an attracive job but the club has hit rock bottom and a new manager has an ideal opportunity to overhaul the squad and be credited with a turnaround now.

10 minutes ago, Darthter said:

I think he'd be able to replicate certain aspects of what they have done - consistency & reliability being the main parts.  I think he'd also start getting better performances out of some of our "duds".

Moving onto Gerrard...........

Hypothetically, he comes in and he is given authority and I think he obviously get's respect. He'd have to maintain it.

IMO he needs three transfer windows to shape the squad, put his ideas into practise, make some mistakes, learn from it and be ready to really go for the beginning of 2019/20.

Edited by buster.