New manager rumours

Just now, buster. said:

Delia was working within a football operation and he didn't GET GIVEN the authority that Rodgers would later be given. In that respect he was effectivelly swimming against the tide from the start.

What authority are you talking about???

I'm sure both managers were given exactly the same job spec etc.  They haven't changed their internal setup, so the manager reports directly to the board.  Deila was given full control of the team, same as Brenda, same as Murty, McCoist, Pedro & Warbs.  We're talking about how they assert their authority over the players as their manager.

Authority does not  have one source, and does not always, and in all circumstances, permeate downwards. 

Players, sad to say, may not be inclined to automatically cede authority to a manager/coach, nor might they be averse to subverting that authority

over time. 

While we need men on the field, and in the dressing room, we need a man who can manage, lead, and direct such men, who has, or will earn respect, and  will be able to exercise authority. 

1 hour ago, Walterbear said:

I imagine Gerrard would command authority by his presence alone

Only at the beginning. If things were to go badly he would lose the respect of the dressing room quickly because of his lack of experience.

18 minutes ago, buster. said:

I didn't say he was a 'modern coach', I said it was a 'modern approach' from that club.

If you want to change the wording to 'different' instead of modern, fine.

It was different and generally considered as 'modern' or 'fashionable'. 

Delia was working within a football operation and he didn't GET GIVEN the authority that Rodgers would later be given. In that respect he was effectivelly swimming against the tide from the start.

Part of the media ridiculed him to a degree (nothing compared with Cathro) and his immediate results in Europe were poor. He did have a strongish character but didn't apply it in a way that would be received favourably in Scotland.

They learned from their mistake and at the time could afford to make it.

I think you're swimming against the tide. 

We'll need to agree to disagree.

You cannot "GET GIVEN the authority".

I'm out (couldn't find a Bannatyne gif...):

giphy.gif

5 hours ago, Rousseau said:

Now that I think about it, we should've been looking at a top quality assistant to appoint as our manager; someone that's involved with a top manager

That's a good point. There must be plenty of assistant's out there who are more than ready to become a no 1. It's a way of getting value without sacrificing experience.

5 hours ago, Rousseau said:

that brings new, modern ideas

I'm still unsure what this actually means. I thought Warburton was the epitome of this. What defines being a "modern" manager? It seems to me it's more about playing a possession based style than anything else. I think on our budget it's far easier to be competitive with Celtic and in Europe with a more traditional system with more emphasis on the physical side of the game.

29 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

You cannot "GET GIVEN the authority".

Of course you can. It all depends on your remit.

Rodgers has apparently changed many aspects of the club that were outside of the remit that Delia was given. He was given authority over a lot of areas which has led to them becoming a lot more professional (and made him unpopular internally).

21 minutes ago, DMAA said:

That's a good point. There must be plenty of assistant's out there who are more than ready to become a no 1. It's a way of getting value without sacrificing experience.

I'm still unsure what this actually means. I thought Warburton was the epitome of this. What defines being a "modern" manager? It seems to me it's more about playing a possession based style than anything else. I think on our budget it's far easier to be competitive with Celtic and in Europe with a more traditional system with more emphasis on the physical side of the game.

Possession-based, yes, but I think pressing has come to the fore now too. Someone also that has an understanding of structure and spacing -- see the way Guardiola sets-up his sides to occupy space, and overload in specific zones etc., and then on the defence too, like keeping one full-back tucked-in to make a three at the back, to cover from counters.  

Warburton was, but more modern-lite! He didn't have the depth of knowledge, and couldn't deviate from that one play. 

Pragmatism, yes, but you can still have that pragmatism in a modern guise.  

11 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

Of course you can. It all depends on your remit.

Rodgers has apparently changed many aspects of the club that were outside of the remit that Delia was given. He was given authority over a lot of areas which has led to them becoming a lot more professional (and made him unpopular internally).

I did say in another post, other than in the job remit. 

I still don't think you can be given authority, in terms of respect. 

11 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Pragmatism, yes, but you can still have that pragmatism in a modern guise

I prefer the sound of that. We can't repeat the mistake of looking for keepers and defenders "who can pass". On our budget that means you're half decent on the ball but mediocre at defending.

I think it's achieveable for us to try and emulate a squad more similar to the Walter's team in 2008 or Martin O Neill's in 2003 who both massively over-achieved in Europe. Brenda's sides are good in Scotland but woeful in Europe because they can't defend.

It's very hard to emulate Barcelona's style and be any good on our budget, but it's not that hard to build a team that's strong and physical whilst still having pace and dynamism going forward.