[FT] Celtic 4 - 0 Rangers (McCrorie Sent Off)

Can't see us going anywhere with Docherty and Dorrans in midfield. Did not work for three games on the trott, why should it work this time about? Windass? I'd be satisfied if he's on the bench to be used later as an attacking option. He was absolutely no use in the creative department after he scored against the Yahoos, nor in the games thereafter.

IMHO, we have a chance to get a result against them if we hit them where they are weakest, in defence. Trying to contain their attacking threat will most likely only see wave after wave of Yahoo attacks ... and they have the players to hurt us where the likes of Motherwell and Dundee have failed. Use the Hampden pitch and have a go at them from the off. No one-striker rubbish, which will let them have it their way with Morelos. Likewise, our wingers /wingbacks need to track back hard.

Foderingham

Tavernier - Martin - Alves - John

McCrorie

Holt/Docherty - Miller - Murphy

Morelos - Cummings

I'd bet my bottom Euro that Murty will keep the same line-up from the last games though, with McCrorie going into central defence in place of Alves.

On a wee sidenote. Should we actually do it, I would suggest our line-up for the game at the Scumhut in a few weeks time. We need to give our second string and less-utilized players an outing and some much needed practise too, you see ...

Kelly

Hodson - Cardoso - A. Wilson - Wallace

O'Halloran - Rossiter - Dalcio - Dodoo

Herrera - Cummings

I'm on publishing duties this week, so that's it published, Pete.

https://www.gersnet.co.uk/index.php/news-category/match-analysis/899-match-preview-celtic-v-rangers-redemption

I agree that there will probably be very few changes, if any; I think with Windass fit (or if he's fit?) we could see the same team as the last meeting.

Like you said, the best team doesn't always win these games.

Favourites usually win though.  How many times did they beat us in the 90’s for example?

Rangers are around 3/1 with most bookies which is probably about right.  We have overcome those odds before, most notably when we stopped them winning the league at Ibrox in 2012, but I can’t see it this time.  I dearly hope I’m wrong but the defeat last month was very sobering.

Edited by Unicorn

If we want a different outcome I think we need to chaange the way we go about things.

I think we have to make it difficult for them to play, protect our central defence via a sitter (McCrorie) and make the midfield as solid as possible.

I made a point of watching part of the Hamilton v Celtic game last weekend and they were dismal in the last third, haven't been scoring that many goals of late and wouldn't find a well organised defence easy to create against.

Don't worry too much if we aren't making too many chances aslong as they don't score and become more adventurous in the last half hour. And although we want to win, remember, we don't need to win this game to go through (penalties are possible).

I'd like to go through and I don't care if it takes 'boring football' to do it.

---------------------

No passengers allowed so Windass, if fit, can take a seat on the bench. As can Goss.

I'd consider Holt, Haliday and Miller. Players who have already put celtic out of the Cup, know what the fixture is about and work hard at the parts of the game that will be necessary. I'd drop Docherty for this one (celtic will target it him with an immediate press because his distribution has been poor at times).

• Rousseau changed the title to Match Preview: Celtic v Rangers
34 minutes ago, buster. said:

If we want a different outcome I think we need to chaange the way we go about things.

I think we have to make it difficult for them to play, protect our central defence via a sitter (McCrorie) and make the midfield as solid as possible.

I made a point of watching part of the Hamilton v Celtic game last weekend and they were dismal in the last third, haven't been scoring that many goals of late and wouldn't find a well organised defence easy to create against.

Don't worry too much if we aren't making too many chances aslong as they don't score and become more adventurous in the last half hour. And although we want to win, remember, we don't need to win this game to go through (penalties are possible).

I'd like to go through and I don't care if it takes 'boring football' to do it.

---------------------

No passengers allowed so Windass, if fit, can take a seat on the bench. As can Goss.

I'd consider Holt, Haliday and Miller. Players who have already put celtic out of the Cup, know what the fixture is about and work hard at the parts of the game that will be necessary. I'd drop Docherty for this one (celtic will target it him with an immediate press because his distribution has been poor at times).

I don't get how you can drop players for inferior players, just because they've 'done it before'? It was actually a draw, where we played with backs against the wall and they took shot after shot at our goal. It wasn't great; our last game against them was better.

I don't mind the tactical shift to a deep block -- not a bad idea, and it could work -- but, for me, Holt, Miller and, to a lesser extent Halliday, don't provide the best options for that; Docherty and Goss are actually better suited in that sense, as they are tougher in the tackle, can carry the ball (Docherty) and control the ball in tight quarters and pass it accurately (Goss) when we break. Windass is unsuited for this too -- unless he's playing up front.

I'd prefer a high pressing game though; which would require Windass and Docherty -- even Holt, but you know how I feel about him -- but not a Goss. 

It's amazing how some players seem to become world-beaters once they've been out of the team for a while!

1 minute ago, Rousseau said:

I don't get how you can drop players for inferior players, just because they've 'done it before'? It was actually a draw, where we played with backs against the wall and they took shot after shot at our goal. It wasn't great; our last game against them was better.

I don't mind the tactical shift to a deep block -- not a bad idea, and it could work -- but, for me, Holt, Miller and, to a lesser extent Halliday, don't provide the best options for that; Docherty and Goss are actually better suited in that sense, as they are tougher in the tackle, can carry the ball (Docherty) and control the ball in tight quarters and pass it accurately (Goss) when we break. Windass is unsuited for this too -- unless he's playing up front.

I'd prefer a high pressing game though; which would require Windass and Docherty -- even Holt, but you know how I feel about him -- but not a Goss. 

It's amazing how some players seem to become world-beaters once they've been out of the team for a while!

IMO Sunday is more about an effective collective (team) set-up in a specific way, than the merits of individuals.

Mentality, commitment and desire also play a huge part in these games and have to be considered.

On a messageboard, rather than at the training sessions makes it only 'gut guesswork' and we'll soon enough see what actually transpires.