[FT] Celtic 4 - 0 Rangers (McCrorie Sent Off)

1 hour ago, rbr said:

Don't know if this has been covered , and I have no issues with the penalty , but why was McCrorie sent off , I thought they had changed the rules so you didn't get hit with a double penalty , it player sent off and penalty .

That double-jeopardy rule amendment only applies when there is an attempt to play the ball (in the referee's opinion)

Edited by SteveC
bit in brackets

49 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I tried not to but I caught a clip of the first goal. I think there were around 7-6 Rangers player in the box, but he still gets a shot away... That's nothing to do with tactics or desire; it's just incompetence.

It is a bit worrying that McCrorie has been turned inside out, 2 weeks running. Rogic did it to him and Moussa did it twice against Dundee. I hope it is lack of game time and not a permanent weakness in his game. I still prefer him at defensive mid to be honest.

Finally watched the goals again.

Not too bothered by the first one.  Maybe McCrorie should have done better but the player turns and shoots very quickly.  Perhaps just a good goal.

I don't think that McCrorie would get caught out for the third when he was fitter.  He's not fit though and he followed a poor attempt at a passback with a poor decision.  The decision to try to pass back may have been a bad decision in itself.  Either way I'd much rather have him on the pitch for the rest of the match and available in future games.

The second was terrible.  I couldn't believe it at the time and it gets worse every time I see it.  I really don't think that Russell Martin will be winning a move here.

McCrorie will learn.  He may end up playing right back or defensive midfield.  Martin will only get worse.

Gary Neville discussed goal-scoring, as a technique, on MNF last night. The premise was that Stirling has the pace and movement to be one of the best in the world -- as said by Guardiola -- but that he's not a natural kicker; he misses more than he scores. Neville was saying that Ronaldo and Henry were the same when they were young wingers; too nervous, inconsistent and poor with their shots. It took repetition, striking the ball time after time, to get them to the stage they reached: one the best goal-scorers in history.

Morelos is similar; he has a decent all-round game. He needs to get practising striking that ball; so he's not panicking, but striking it cleanly into the net. 

One of the best goalscorers I have ever seen was Romario at PSV. He rarely missed a chance and made it look so easy. He didn't do much else mind you but you were guaranteed goals per game.

3 hours ago, pete said:

One of the best goalscorers I have ever seen was Romario at PSV. He rarely missed a chance and made it look so easy. He didn't do much else mind you but you were guaranteed goals per game.

I know it only lasted a short time, but the best finisher I've seen was Marco Negri

3 hours ago, pete said:

Lol.  When he was at Barca he said to one of the younger players (cant remember who) "just give me the ball and I will do the rest".  He had confidence in abundance, and with good reason.